IGNORED

Article: Digital Signal Processing - The Ultimate Guide To High End Immersive Audio

I have a Denon AVR, although this is more used as a processor as I have external amps for all but the height speakers.

This comes with Audyssey as the default "built in" software. Optional software is also available, Dirac Live (limited Bandwidth), Dirac Live (Full Bandwidth) and Dirac Live Bass Control.

I am assuming that Dirac Live Bass Control is of no use to me, I do not use a subwoofer.

So I am thinking of getting the licence for for the Full bandwidth Dirac Live Room Correction. The licence is $349.

I presume that the Full Bandwidth Dirac option is superior to Audyssey?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:26 PM, jrobbins50 said:

Audyssey is ok, particularly if your Denon will allow use of the professional measurement kit, as my Marantz AV-8802A can do. But, I agree with @The Computer Audiophile: Dirac is said to do substantially better, certainly than the standard Multeq XT32 Audyssey that your Denon likely has built in. And I’ve moved to Audiolense XO, which in my personal experience is way better than Audyssey. You might consider that as an investment over the Dirac license. JCR 

It looks like you are correct. From the Denon specifications:

image.png.a29ae7e8f71ca7e67044309cda51ad17.png

One point to clarify, I am already using convolution filters created using Focus Fidelity Filter Designer for my 2 channel system. This is streaming via PC / HQPlayer / NAA. I am very happy with both the functionality and the ultimate sound quality results from FFFD.

So I am only thinking of Dirac for the 7.4 ATMOS side of things. Am I right that Audiolense is for PC only? For my surround system the source will be Blu-ray discs, Apple TV and similar, nothing streamed from a PC. So this takes me back to Dirac being my best option I think, for multi-channel at least.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.