IGNORED

Article: My Favorite TrueHD Dolby Atmos Music, 2023 Edition

Thanks @JoeWhip for putting together this list right before the holidays.  

Polarity is one of my favorite 2L recordings.  As you say, the detail is amazing and I agree that it would be great if Morten Lindberg gave us more Jazz albums.  

Yello Point was mixed by Stefan Bock of msm studios in munich, who has done some of my other immersive favorites (e.g. Alessandro Quarta plays Astor Piazzolla), so the Atmos mix is definitely fun (but I agree with you about the music).  Looks like Boris Blank is about to release a new album, Resonance, which I am looking forward to checking out.  

I bought several other titles that you listed on IAA, and I like all of them, so was great to have your recommendations.  

Question:  am I right that you do you listening in a home theater?  Although playing MKV files on an Nvidia Shield is straightforward with Kodi, until I downloaded these albums from IAA that are split into separate tracks, and therefore easy to select from the Kodi iOS app, I had to play MKV files with the display on.  I can keep the display off with Apple Music (can use any iOS device to play Atmost music through my Apple TV) or Pure Audio Blu-ray discs using their screenless navigation.  Playing the Auro-3D WAV file of the Bob James Trio using Roon through my Trinnov AVR was also easy with the display off.  Do you do most of your MKV file listening with the display on or off?  I would be interested in any tips that you can suggest.  

Got it.  I am using a projector, which I prefer to have off when listening to music and which is harder to switch on and off than a tv.  

FYI, here are some immersive albums on Apple Music that I think are interesting for different reasons:

Maya Beiser - Infinite Bach - I liked the stereo album Maya Beiser x Philip Glass because of what she was able to achieve by looping and layering solo cello tracks to produce a rich sonic texture that fit perfectly with Philip Glass’s music.  So I was intrigued when she released this album of Bach cello suites in Atmos.  It did not disappoint.  The acoustics of the space combined with the droning that she has added in the extra channels makes for an interesting new take on a classic piece in the cello repertoire.  I wish this was available as a download or a blu-ray, but for some inexplicable reason her label prioritized a vinyl release instead.  

Renaud Capuçon: Arvo Pärt: Tabula Rasa - I have always been a fan of the 1984 ECM album of the same name featuring, among others, Gidon Kremer, Keith Jarrett and Alfred Schnittke.  I also keep hoping for immersive recordings of Arvo Part’s music.  So when this album was released, I had to check it out.  I have not found many immersive orchestral performances that grab me, but this one did.  I will be curious to hear what you think.  

Lara Somogyi: ! - A much lighter musical selection, but I find the immersive mix nice for just chilling.  

Please keep the recommendations coming!

On 12/28/2023 at 10:12 AM, Kurvenal said:

Question:  am I right that you do you listening in a home theater?

What is a Home Theater as opposed to a Multich Music Reproduction System?

By all rights they should be one and the same, the very best system you can afford to play back everything from  mono 78's to todays best immersive audio techs. Whether needed or not, any display from a small ipad to a 120" projector can be turned on or off as pleased..

Good post Joe, a few further recommends for the 2023 release list. What an absolutely incredible year it's been for surround sound music enthusiasts.  Here's just a few choice picks from my library.

A Bad Think - Short Street

Bruce Soord - Luminescence

Duran Duran - Danse Macabre

Jethro Tull -  Rokflote

Katatonia - Sky Void Of Stars

Richard Wright - Wet Dream

Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Black Sabbath -Paranoid  (2023 Quadio Release)

Ten Years After - A Space In Time

SCHILLER- EPIC

Rush - Hemispheres

Mr Big -Lean Into It

Everything But The Girl - Fuse

Porcupine Tree  - Closure Continuation

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Trouble Is

Van Morrison - Moondance

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 1 month later...