IGNORED

Not all Studio Masters are HiRes and not all HiRes files are Studio Masters

Not all Studio Masters are HiRes and not all HiRes files are Studio Masters.

A Studio Master is a copy of the music file as it was recorded. Not manipulated, not converted…

If it was recorded at 24bit 44.1kHz (many, many recordings from 1997-1998 to current days) that is a Studio Master. If it was originally recorded 16bit 44.kHz, that is the studio master.

24bit buys you the biggest difference, a 24 44.1 good recording using high quality micros, good engineering, etc… sounds way better than a lesser quality one at 88.2 or higher. Most BIS recordings are a clear example.

Of course a good quality one at higher sample rate is even better, name Linn Records 192kHz, 2L 192kHz, Finlandia 192kHz, Chandos 88.2, etc…

A DSD converted to PCM is a step below. DSD is great for pressed SACD, but SACD is great software and poor hardware because of anti-copy…

Downloads are PCM and computer systems read PCM.

Anyway a good DSD to PCM conversion is still a good choice.

24bit 44.1 PCM converted to DSD to match SACD standards and years later ripped to PCM again (usually at 88.2) is a no go in my humble opinion. Two conversions! They are HiRes, but by no means Studio Masters.

So not all HiRes are studio masters and not all studio masters are HiRes.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

Nice post !

But maybe you can make the below a bit more clear. I have the feeling you left out a couple of words.

If it was recorded at 24bit 44.1kHz (many, many recordings from 1997-1998 to current days). If it was originally recorded 16bit 44.kHz, that is the studio master.

Thanks,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

If it was recorded at 24bit 44.1kHz (many, many recordings from 1997-1998 to current days). If it was originally recorded 16bit 44.kHz, that is the studio master.

....and either will sound the best using Peter's DAC. :)

(just having fun)

Seriously, I think Peter was expecting the "or" before the second "if statement". Peter, it was not a complete sentence, but was an implied "or" or an implied "then that is a studio master". A semicolon would have worked better instead of a period.

You are right Peter; I have edited and added some missing words.

As you have guessed by now English is not my language, but I hope I've been able to express the concept. :)

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

(2 yrs high school German, enough to be dangerous) and you conveyed the hirez issues better than I could. Your posts are by no means hindered by your language skills. Don't apologize. :)