IGNORED

Article: HARMAN Acquires Roon

interesting!  Part of Roon's comment from their community website:

"If you’ve been reading our posts over the years, you’ve probably sensed that getting a startup to escape velocity is a struggle. That’s because it is; startups with passionate founding teams fail every day. Succeeding as a young company is a constant quest to balance serving the needs of customers with keeping the lights on and bringing on talented people to augment the team. Achieving that balance – particularly without external funding – takes vision, nerves, and a deep reservoir of reckless optimism.

In our new position under the Harman umbrella, we can lean into our vision without the frayed nerves. We look forward to being able to serve the needs of this amazing community with a tremendous amount of support and momentum behind us."

Grimm Audio MU2 > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Samsung > Harman > Roon (corporate nesting):

image.png.547265466aea9e14f45f8fa382c20ee2.png

Cables: Kubala-Sosna    Power management: Shunyata    Room: Vicoustics    Ethernet: Network Acoustics Muon Pro

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

positive spin:  the Harman companies insist that Roon updates don't mess with the sound  (latest update apparently included tracking that increased network traffic, for example) and are better tested before rollout.   

3 hours ago, botrytis said:

She likes - put a silver disc in - hit play. She does IT for work, she does not want to have to deal with it at home. After 35 yrs of marriage, she has a point. I respect that.

Makes sense to me that she doesn't want to do the same stuff she does for work.  My wife does not like/trust computers in general (shopping is the exception 🙃 ), but she uses Roon to listen to her favorite music and make playlists.  People complain about the search function, but she is able to find what she wants.  Once I showed her how to find higher resolution versions, she uses that feature too.  

She still prefers her Logitech Touch as an interface (who wouldn't?), but the "big rig" that is powered by Roon sounds very nice and can play loud when needed.  Different strokes and all that.  

I bought the lifetime subscription long ago, so it is free now.  To me, Roon has always been very good, but it boosted into the stratosphere when it integrated Qobuz.  Those two together have changed how I listen to music.