IGNORED

Article: Bringing The Atmos Era To The Living Room Via Sonos

bobfa

Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't understand.  I need some more explanation.  l looked up the Sonos speakers, but I don't understand what they actually do. The product page is all marketing speak. 

They give you "height" as well as left right center, is that correct?

So it's essentially  a 5 channel left- right- center-up- down -sub setup?

Atmos tracks are automatically converted to the system's channel format?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

55 minutes ago, firedog said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't understand.  I need some more explanation.  l looked up the Sonos speakers, but I don't understand what they actually do. The product page is all marketing speak. 

They give you "height" as well as left right center, is that correct?

So it's essentially  a 5 channel left- right- center-up- down -sub setup?

Atmos tracks are automatically converted to the system's channel format?

Let's ignore the "looking backwards 5.1, etc. for a few minutes". 

The Era 300 is a computer based system that uses ATMOS to present an immersive sound experience.  Each Era 300 has multiple tweeters and two "woofers". 

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 10.15.56 AM.png

There is one front firing, two side firing and one up firing tweeters.  The Era300 is about 7x8x 11. They need room around them, to the sides and the top.  Not sure about the back yet.

77b3bb4c4b015fc60bf885bd0ceec33724dffc7e-2000x1363.png.webp

In the Sonos software you can define systems.  A single Era300 or a pair of Era300's and you can add a subwoofer.

In my case I have one system configured with two speakers and one subwoofer.  In the setup you tune the room with their TruePlay software (in the app) to help manage the room.

During playback the software will route normal 2-channel material in what I would call a 2.1 ish design.    With ATMOS it might be a bit fuzzy but I would call it 2.1.2 design. where there are two main speakers, a sub woofer and two up firing.  But what do the side firing tweeters do?  The sound stage is pretty well spread out. They might emulate a 5.1.2 system in theory.  I have not seen it laid out in print!

If you scroll down the Era300 web page there are some clues along with the marketing:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/era-300

I Hope that helps!

Bob

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

Great to have options, options and more options in this developing field. What tracks are on your playlist?

I have a real problem with playlists.  I mostly use them for testing.  I am an album guy.  I use playlists from Apple Music to help me find new music like the one linked above: Made for Spatial Audio. 

Here are two of mine

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/bobfa-system-evaluation-playlist/pl.u-Ymb00RPTxl0EN

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/bobfa-atmos/pl.u-leyllaJCxqrDG

And Two from Apple

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/classical-in-spatial-audio/pl.ffea4bbea2d141cbb0ec67e32059b278

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/made-for-spatial-audio/pl.154af9931b214278a64274c410046e69

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I’m very reluctant to Sonos. I haven’t looked at the company as one selling equipment for audiophiles. Especially since only supported red book and nothing above. 

Maybe this have changed. 

When streaming from Amazon Music Unlimited, depending on input I see tags for ATMOS (DD+ 768kbps), ULTRA HD (24/96 or 24/192) or HD (16/44.1), so they cover most standard cases.

My master bedroom system is all Sonos:

Arc soundbar for LCR + Atmos height - tied to my AppleTV via HDMI, but can be addressed wirelessly / independently, as well

Wireless sub

2x Era300s for rear surrounds and Atmos height (also wireless)

It sounds great for movies, etc., but also great for stereo and / or multichannel / Atmos music.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 10:53 AM, R1200CL said:

I’m very reluctant to Sonos. I haven’t looked at the company as one selling equipment for audiophiles. Especially since only supported red book and nothing above. 

Maybe this have changed. 

My local Best Buy has a Sonos room with three set ups in it. I was able to listen to all of them, but especially the 300’s with subwoofer set up. Initially, the effects were cool but overtime the sound felt muffled and I don’t think I would enjoy listening to music through those speakers. 

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

My main hifi rig is gone as it was hard to get quality time in that room for music, i now have a desktop and headphones.

However the lounge is used mainly for TV, but my new setup fits well and works for immersive music when allowed.

4K ATV, Arc, Mini Sub, 2 Play One surrounds.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806