IGNORED

Article: Sources - The Ultimate Guide To High End Immersive Audio

9 minutes ago, Kurvenal said:

I did not mean to open a hornet's nest since the main point of my post was to say that getting a professionally designed room (including acoustic treatment) that is built to a high standard makes it much easier to calibrate with good speakers.  

No worries @Kurvenal. I'm always interested in what others are doing. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It's often more about the calibrators skill with a particular tool than the tool itself.

The "whats best" claim about a particular tool often changes on a very regular basis. 

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, terrythecat said:

Hi Chris, Is there any reason why you have chosen Dolby Atmos (at consideral expence) rather than BACCHdsp?

I'd love to hear your view on both, as I assume you have had the opportunity to investigate both. I, unfortunately have not. Thanks.

Hi @terrythecat great question. I have investigated and listened to both. They are very different technologies. 

Music is mixed, mastered, and released in Dolby Atmos. As an audiophile, I try to reproduce music, in its released form, as accurately as possible. Thus, Dolby Atmos is what I selected. It really wasn’t a close comparison, as I don’t believe these two techs even attempt to accomplish the same thing. 

Nobody uses crosstalk cancelation like bacch when making and releasing music. Thus, I have a hard time thinking it was ever meant to be heard that way. I love that people enjoy it and I hope it is successful, but to me bacch is an effect similar to hitting the Stadium button on a receiver. 

Atmos is capable of discrete sounds whereas a tech such as bacch can’t reproduce the four harmonizing voices of the Grateful Dead coming from four separate ceiling channels, as it’s supposed to be heard. Attics of my Life is the specific track and it’s absolutely glorious. 

I go with what the mass market selects, and try to make it as good as possible. Doing anything else is like pushing a boulder uphill. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png