IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of... Cream's Wheels of Fire and Goodbye

• 1 month later...

FINALLY got my Drake copy of Wheels of Fire. It took about six weeks to arrive via Int'l mail!

The Drake version definitely sounds better than the Japanese DSD and the DCC versions I previously had. 

Thanks Josh.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2023 at 3:28 PM, Josh Mound said:

That’s definitely on my list. I’ve already started buying rare versions. It’ll be a tough one, but I think I’m going to focus on masterings with the full-length versions of the songs, which will narrow things down a little. 

Speaking of possible future TBVOs, do you have plans to cover any of the David Lee Roth-era Van Halen records, as MFSL has started to roll out their remasters of those albums?

• 1 month later...

Holy Guacamole! I don't know what to say... I just wanted to know the best versions of either of those two albums! Like most folks, I had no clue of the number of circles turning within circles behind the scenes. I haven't listened to ANY Cream in almost 25 years.

Yesterday I heard a car drive by my front yard with Cream's Politician blaring out! Two young Chicano-looking guys listening to Cream! Love it! Anyway, that set me off on a two-day Cream binge. I don't have any of their albums in physical form. I'm debating with myself about this. Qobuz or physical form?

8 hours ago, jrayv said:

Holy Guacamole! I don't know what to say... I just wanted to know the best versions of either of those two albums! Like most folks, I had no clue of the number of circles turning within circles behind the scenes. I haven't listened to ANY Cream in almost 25 years.

Yesterday I heard a car drive by my front yard with Cream's Politician blaring out! Two young Chicano-looking guys listening to Cream! Love it! Anyway, that set me off on a two-day Cream binge. I don't have any of their albums in physical form. I'm debating with myself about this. Qobuz or physical form?

I think the Drake discs are worth getting from Discogs and/or EBay.

Josh,

A few more comments on this and I'll shut up already. Since I started on my re-listening of Cream, I have a new appreciation of something I didn't have as a young guy. Even back then we all knew that Jack Bruce was the strongest singer of the band but I now enjoy his singing even more. The man had a Golden voice! A quality shared with fellow Glaswegians James Dewar and Davey Pattison (both from the Robin Trower band). However, the main thing I have sort of rediscovered is Bruce's bass playing. The man was a phenomenal bass player. Back then Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker received most of the musicianship praise but I am tempted to say that Jack Bruce was the finest musician of the three.

Lastly, I met Ginger Baker after a live gig he did at Trancas Club in Malibu, CA while a member of The Masters of Reality. He always had the reputation of not being "fan friendly" but he was very cool and laid back when I met him after the show. Two funny things. First, When I shook his hand it felt HOT temperature wise. Secondly, even though he always appeared to be a very tall man he looked small in stature. I'm 5'9" and he WAS sitting down but he looked smaller than me.

OK, that's it!