IGNORED

Article: The Perfect Limited Ultimate Super Deluxe Edition Complete Unicorn Boxed Set

Nice article! Although most people are streaming their music today, I think there will always be a market for discs, black or silver.

(But - as you point out - there are boxed sets and there are boxed sets. I happily paid for John Coltrane - The Atlantic Recordings in Mono and Coltrane ' 58/The Prestige Recordings (although several recordings were already in my library).

I also bought a box with Sibelius recordings: The Essential Sibelius (BIS), 15 discs. Seemed to be good value (and, for a Sibelius-junk, it probably is). But the problem with those boxes is, is that you seldom (or perhaps never) listen to al those discs. And what to think of Karajan Complete, a box with 101 discs... )

Enjoy the Pearl Jam shows!

the boxed sets that have eaten away at my retirement in the last year

Ditto on the Coltranes. on vinyl ..

We are in the golden age of remasters, reissues, and box sets but I for one am suffering from a severe case of reissue fatigue. If you follow the Tracking Angle or Analog Planet or any number of other sites they are announcing them daily at sometimes hard to swallow prices. Acoustic Sounds is releasing the 7 disc Steely Dan catalog on 45 rpm vinyl at $150 a pop. I bought the Zappa remaster a while back and now they release yet another set of mostly the same.  I buy mostly vinyl and know this is a digital site, but the same concerns apply. I had to stop.. at least for a while 😧

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

Just now, bbosler said:

Ditto on the Coltranes. on vinyl ..

We are in the golden age of remasters, reissues, and box sets but I for one am suffering from a severe case of reissue fatigue. If you follow the Tracking Angle or Analog Planet or any number of other sites they are announcing them daily at sometimes hard to swallow prices. Acoustic Sounds is releasing the 7 disc Steely Dan catalog on 45 rpm vinyl at $150 a pop. I bought the Zappa remaster a while back and now they release yet another set of mostly the same.  I buy mostly vinyl and know this is a digital site, but the same concerns apply. I had to stop.. at least for a while 😧

Come on Bruce, the music is the cheapest part of the hobby :~)

Only kidding. I hear you about reissues etc... The beauty of the ones I buy is that there's an Atmos version in there that has never been released and is unavailable anywhere else. Heck, even you can ease up on the purchasing pause for these :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

45 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The beauty of the ones I buy is that there's an Atmos version in there that has never been released and is unavailable anywhere else.

I know I've said it before but, I just can't choke down a $300 box set just to get the Atmos disc.

----The Zappa set for $65.. OK.

-----DSOTM for $300, not for me, but they sold out quickly so somebody has figured it out 

thanks for the heads up on Fish. New to me too.. I like it

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

I think it's useful to break down the value components here as Chris commented upon for himself. 

1) The base music in its, in most cases, original form. Tracks in the same order based on the original mixes. Often remastered, Sometimes remixed.

2) Alternate channel configurations. Mono -> Stereo -> Surround -> Immersive

3) Outakes, alternate versions from other releases, live versions.

4) Videos, probably live performances in most cases.

5) Supplemental information enhancing understanding and the subsequent listening listening/viewing experience.

6) Gratuitous information, pretty much filler, not adding anything or much other than page space.

7) Decoration -- ebellished packaging beyond what is required to effectively deliver and protect the content for the buyer and subsequent owners/users.

Naturally, the mix of values each individual will place on each of these components will vary wildly. I won't go over mine in this post, but I will say that my outlook has varied steadily over my life. I am a 76-year-old who has been a music lover since I first became aware of music, and a nascent audiophile from perhaps 6-7 years old when my father assempled a mono sustems building a speaker with University/JBL drivers, a Garrard changer and Fisher/Scott electronics. 

I will say that I don't mind good looking stuff, but uniformity in packaging matters a lot to me and my use scenario is capturing files for replay form digital storage, perusing the information, probably just once, and then putting it in storage.

Skip

Still find it strange they didn't do a new stereo remix.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

Still find it strange they didn't do a new stereo remix.

From Amazon:

image.png.33cf6ce7b5c1af428b74a3b2539f291d.png

I might have to pick this up...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

3 hours ago, jcbenten said:

From Amazon:

image.png.33cf6ce7b5c1af428b74a3b2539f291d.png

I might have to pick this up...

remastered, not a new stereo mix.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

"I'm absolutely cool with expensive boxed sets, but I'm not thrilled with many of them. I value the music, information, photos, and videos in that order."

I'm not, not in the least.

Firstly I'm a retired blue collar guy and don't have that kind of money to blow on set's that contain 80%

of stuff I have no interest in.

Secondly,  I'm not a collector not do I have room for all that.  I'm in this for the music.

Just give me either a reasonably priced stand-alone BD, or preferably a lossless mkv download of the BD, along with a PDF of any booklets, artwork, etc.

I'm really tired of the labels that are holding a gun to my head just to get the important stuff, the 5.1 or Atmos music files.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 9/2/2023 at 9:06 PM, Sal1950 said:

"I'm absolutely cool with expensive boxed sets, but I'm not thrilled with many of them. I value the music, information, photos, and videos in that order."

I'm not, not in the least.

Firstly I'm a retired blue collar guy and don't have that kind of money to blow on set's that contain 80%

of stuff I have no interest in.

Secondly,  I'm not a collector not do I have room for all that.  I'm in this for the music.

Just give me either a reasonably priced stand-alone BD, or preferably a lossless mkv download of the BD, along with a PDF of any booklets, artwork, etc.

I'm really tired of the labels that are holding a gun to my head just to get the important stuff, the 5.1 or Atmos music files.

C'mon, Sal, the label's VP needs a bigger pool for that 3rd vacation home!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Another for you (don't know about immersive - this includes blu-ray hi res). First single "Angry" is on YouTube, liking it.

https://therollingstonesshop.com/products/hackney-diamonds-cd-blu-ray-box-set

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Another for you (don't know about immersive - this includes blu-ray hi res). First single "Angry" is on YouTube, liking it.

https://therollingstonesshop.com/products/hackney-diamonds-cd-blu-ray-box-set

“Blu-ray disc with hi-res 24/96 audio and Dolby Atmos versions of the album”

!!!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

“Blu-ray disc with hi-res 24/96 audio and Dolby Atmos versions of the album”

!!!

Lemmee know how it feels to have Mick and Keef surrounding you. 🙂