IGNORED

Digital RIAA HQPlayer vs Audiolense

I am currently playing around with Digital RIAA correction in my active setup.

Does anyone have any experience with applying these filters in their system?

Last night I tried applying the RIAA filter via HQPlayer and was very pleased at what I heard and would say things sound better than my Mcintosh Tube Phono Preamp.

( I just need to get the levels correct)

I stacked the RIAA filter with my convolution filters putting the RIAA link after the convolution filter link. But I'm not sure if the RIAA notation needs to be fore the convolution filter, or perhaps it doesn't matter.

IE..   /convolutionfilter.wav, RIAA    or should it be RIAA, /convolutionfilter.wav     

With this method, I also noticed that the RIAA filter does significantly lower the overall output because of the RIAA correction.   Does anyone have any tips with adding gain correction in the pipeline?

Audiolense RIAA correction :

Since I use Audiolense for my correction filters, I'd like to try to use it for implementing RIAA within the correction filter itself.

I see that there is an option for RIAA correction only and an option for RIAA plus Line Level correction.   

Then there is a section for  amplitude dB @ 1k.

Can anyone provide any guidance on correctly applying RIAA via Audiolense?

Lastly,   how are these RIAA filters applied in both programs..   I'm assuming HQPlayer is applying correction via normal EQ.    Does Audiolense do the same or do they apply as a FIR filter?

Thanks to all who reply!

-e

Last night I created some new filters in Audiolense with the RIAA equalization embedded within the those filters and compared them with the HQPlayer RIAA implementation.

During the A:B testing between those two filters,  they both sounded very similar though with the HQP implementation, additional gain was needed to correctly bring up the overall gain.   Whereas with Audiolense you have the ability to choose to automatically adjust and embed that gain within the filter.

When comparing Digital RIAA implementation vs my McIntosh phono pre it's pretty clear that Digital RIAA is the winner.

Would love to hear more personal experiences, tips/tricks from others who have tried.

-e

On 5/31/2023 at 4:39 PM, Erik Haas said:

I stacked the RIAA filter with my convolution filters putting the RIAA link after the convolution filter link. But I'm not sure if the RIAA notation needs to be fore the convolution filter, or perhaps it doesn't matter.

IE..   /convolutionfilter.wav, RIAA    or should it be RIAA, /convolutionfilter.wav     

It doesn't really matter.

With this method, I also noticed that the RIAA filter does significantly lower the overall output because of the RIAA correction.   Does anyone have any tips with adding gain correction in the pipeline?

You can add some 30 - 36 dB gain, for example using the mix gain. Or just partial with half of that at 15 - 18 dB. It also depends on your cartridge, so it is best to use metering (in Client) to come up with value that leaves suitable headroom.

Lastly,   how are these RIAA filters applied in both programs..   I'm assuming HQPlayer is applying correction via normal EQ.    Does Audiolense do the same or do they apply as a FIR filter?

HQPlayer applies it as normal EQ, so it also counters the phase changes introduced by the corresponding filter at production side.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

14 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, it is new feature in v5.

Ok, that's what I thought.  My 2012 Mac Mini isn't supported, ohh well. 

I have a Merging ADC card arriving in the next few weeks and I guess I need to start really thinking about building a dedicated PC.

Need 5 channels of convolution with the ability to upsample to 256 DSD....  Was thinking a Ryzen 7950 which has 16cores and a GPU.

Am I on the right path or would you choose a different CPU?

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I keep meaning to mess with this aspect of HQP but so far havent put any real effort into getting an ADC. Is the Lynx Hilo the recommended piece of equipment still?

I'm pretty sure any ADC with mic preamp inputs will work for this use case.

In my system I've used a Motu 828es for vinyl playback (through a phono pre first) and recently moved to a Merging Hapi (with dac card) using the Motu for input.  But I have a Merging ADC card coming soon which will complete the Hapi as a ADC / DAC device.