IGNORED

foo_pggb_rt: A free real-time upsampler for foobar2000 [64 bit] using PGGB

New free real-time plugin for foobar2000 (64bit version)

We are happy to announce a 'free as in beer' real-time plugin (foo_pggb_rt) for foobar2000 (64bit version) that will allow you to resample local tracks using the same core engine as PGGB 256, the limitations are that the processing is done only at 64-bit precision, and you cannot save them using 'convert' feature. The plugin was developed in collaboration with Audiowise and licenses PGGB-RT SDK.

Guidefoo_pggb_rt - ZB's Guide (remastero.com).

FAQ: PGGB-RT - FAQ (remastero.com)

Download: foo_pggb_rt - ZB's Guide (remastero.com)

There are two processing modes:

1. 'Maximize Quality': will process the whole track but you will incur longer startup delay on the first track but process the whole track in one go just like PGGB 256 would at 64-bit precision. 
  2. 'Maximize Speed': will process the track in about 23 second chunks (equivalent to 16M taps in terms of length @hanshopf)

Features:

• Just like PGGB 256, the component supports both upsampling and downsampling PCM up to 64fS rates.
  • It supports bit depths between 16 and 64 bits, so should work with most DACs. 
  • It also has the same noise shaping and HF filtering options of PGGB 256.
  • EQ is possible too, but EQ filters need to be imported using PGGB 256 app (trial license will work). EQ is still a beta feature.
  • Uses the same algorithms as PGGB 256 for all processing except only 64 bit processing is done due to real-time nature.

How does this compare to PGGB 256?

PGGB 256 when set at 64 bit precision will match the real-time processing of foo_pggb_rt when set at 'Maximize for accuracy' and all other settings are set the same. But please note that foo_pggb_rt is meant to just provide a glimpse of what PGGB is truly capable of since, PGGB 256 at 128bit or 256 bit precision is still more accurate.

image.thumb.jpeg.9531c0ab82ab09f142de28749df2d4bc.jpeg 

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

• The Computer Audiophile changed the title to foo_pggb_rt: A free real-time upsampler for foobar2000 [64 bit] using PGGB

5 hours ago, taipan254 said:

really like the "Maximum Speed" mode simply because it makes your filters more accessible (assuming folks can get through the foobar 64bit installation process!). 

Humble product roadmap suggestion I think you're likely already working on: I hope the product roadmap includes building a plugin so PGGB-RT can be used with something like Roon and / or Audirvana. I'd love to fully integrate gargle-blasting into my streaming using software I am already familiar with. Ideally your integration into these software platforms will also work with EQ filters!  

Apologies in advance for the unsolicited advice - again, I think this iteration sounds great! 

@taipan254Thanks, Roon does not allow plugins but yes, we are thinking of VST/AU plugins that will be easier to use in a wider range of players and DAWs. Fobar2000 is a proof of concept to show that PGGB-RT can be used for real-time resampling. 

ps: I would like to keep conversations on pggb-rt on this foobar thread.

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

We have not considered it yet, but we need someone to help us port the component code to Mac. PGGGB-RT SDK is platform agnostic.

We just released an update v5.3 (download, help, offline)

• Fixes crashes when downsampling is enabled
  • Does not crash when AVX2 instruction set is not available, instead disables PGGB-RT
  • Convert feature is fully functional for all settings
  • Adds some tips in the UI

Starting v2.0 Beta 29, Foobar2000 64 bit supports both 32-bit fixed point and floats for file conversion, this is really great for to using the 'Convert' feature and saving resampled files. Please update Foobar2000 to the latest version, and do not choose 32-bit float as the file output bit-depth to avoid loss of precision.

X

On 4/9/2023 at 5:08 AM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

We just released an update v5.3 (download, help, offline)

• Fixes crashes when downsampling is enabled
  • Does not crash when AVX2 instruction set is not available, instead disables PGGB-RT
  • Convert feature is fully functional for all settings
  • Adds some tips in the UI

Starting v2.0 Beta 29, Foobar2000 64 bit supports both 32-bit fixed point and floats for file conversion, this is really great for to using the 'Convert' feature and saving resampled files. Please update Foobar2000 to the latest version, and do not choose 32-bit float as the file output bit-depth to avoid loss of precision.

X

can not find "enable PGGB" any more.  last version has bug: if set lower than 23bit, volume will be down to half

@clark8888, @dankan73 

Our check for AVX2 had a false negative on AMD PC,  please try this test version (DropBox link) and let me know if that works? 

Regarding the volume level, I will check for < 23bits, I will check

@clark8888, @dankan73 

Please try this updated test version 5.3.2 (DropBox link) and let me know if that fixes both the issues (Enable PGGB-RT and the volume issue). Thanks for bringing the volume issue to my attention.

We just released an update v5.4 (download, help, offline)

• Fixes false negatives on check for AVX2 instructions which caused 'Enable PGGB-RT' not to be available in the menu.
  • Fixed the gain issue when setting bit-depths lower than 24-bits.

Note: Starting v2.0 Beta 29, Foobar2000 64 bit supports both 32-bit fixed point and floats for file conversion, this is really great for to using the 'Convert' feature and saving resampled files. Please update Foobar2000 to the latest version, and do not choose 32-bit float as the file output bit-depth to avoid loss of precision.

image.thumb.png.f754d616c5f510f1254e1b1621527694.png

12 minutes ago, taipan254 said:

Quick question @Zaphod Beeblebrox - to do the below:

image.thumb.png.50942860095bd47a421cd418e8486c29.png

Do I just change the pre-amp settings like so:

image.png.0cd17a9f156e408461b8e7b102c08517.png

?

I'm a Foobar newb so thought I'd double check.

No, you need to use the volume slider:

In foo_pggb_rt, the digital volume control is done by PGGB with PGGB-RT noise shaper integration.

image.thumb.png.f34fed1c99fc0aecd62515534f41b40c.png

Also note the above is only needed when you set 'Max speed' because PGGB processes the whole track in blocks and if there are inter-sample-overs in a block, then that block may be attenuated. Setting a fixed and slightly small negative gain will instead apply a uniform negative gain for the whole track, which should be low enough to avoid clipping.

8 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

i can only select one song in foobar with foo_pggb_rt active if i select a whole album foobar crashes, i have 16 gig ram and  i7-4790K

Are you on the latest version of Foobar2000 and foo_pggb_rt?

I am unable to reproduce the issue. Are your steps:

• Select an album form library -> send to new play list
  • Select all tracks in the new play list -> Enable PGGB-RT

Then it crashes?

Please email me the crash dump from (.dmp and .txt):

%appdata%\foobar2000-v2\crash reports

(just paste it into the explorer address bar)

Also send me your settings for PGGB-RT. Are you using ASIO for playback?

On 4/10/2023 at 9:55 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

We just released an update v5.4 (download, help, offline)

• Fixes false negatives on check for AVX2 instructions which caused 'Enable PGGB-RT' not to be available in the menu.
  • Fixed the gain issue when setting bit-depths lower than 24-bits.

Note: Starting v2.0 Beta 29, Foobar2000 64 bit supports both 32-bit fixed point and floats for file conversion, this is really great for to using the 'Convert' feature and saving resampled files. Please update Foobar2000 to the latest version, and do not choose 32-bit float as the file output bit-depth to avoid loss of precision.

image.thumb.png.f754d616c5f510f1254e1b1621527694.png

Now R2R 20bit volume is fine with my AMD cpu.  Issue of new version 5.4: eat up 100% 32g memory at quality mode, very hungry.  Thus for long time track, sound stucked and windows freezes

8 hours ago, clark8888 said:

Now R2R 20bit volume is fine with my AMD cpu.  Issue of new version 5.4: eat up 100% 32g memory at quality mode, very hungry.  Thus for long time track, sound stucked and windows freezes

'Max speed' is optimized to use very little memory as it does processing in chunks, but 'Max Quality' tries to process the whole track in memory. While 32GB should allow you to process up to 48 minutes, that assumes all of that memory is actually available. In reality, Windows and other processes take up quite a bit. The workaround is typically to increase your virtual memory (preferably 64 - 128GB of an SSD internal drive). Also helps if you can have as few processes as possible (a restart also helps)

I have more information on RAM and memory requirements here. Please note, while the information is targeted to PGGB 256 offline resampling, it is equally applicable to your case if you look at 64bit precision. To increase virtual memory, please see here.

Max Quality mode works well for shorter tracks (up to 12 minutes or so), for longer tracks if you have enough free memory, it can take a few minutes depending on your processor speed and number of cores. If freezing is an issue, and you do not mind a longer processing time you can also reduce the number of workers.

Bottom line, Max Quality takes a finite amount of time as it has to process the whole track in memory, and it also takes resources. This is not a bug, which is why there is an option to use Max Speed. For albums with longer tracks, it may be better to use the 'Convert' option with Max Quality and then play the tracks in real-time.

We just released a minor update v5.4.1 (download, help, offline)

• Increases number of workers to up to 48 to accommodate processors that have up to 48 logical cores and only exposes even number of workers. Please do not use (1) as it is meant only for debugging.X

16 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

'Max speed' is optimized to use very little memory as it does processing in chunks, but 'Max Quality' tries to process the whole track in memory. While 32GB should allow you to process up to 48 minutes, that assumes all of that memory is actually available. In reality, Windows and other processes take up quite a bit. The workaround is typically to increase your virtual memory (preferably 64 - 128GB of an SSD internal drive). Also helps if you can have as few processes as possible (a restart also helps)

I have more information on RAM and memory requirements here. Please note, while the information is targeted to PGGB 256 offline resampling, it is equally applicable to your case if you look at 64bit precision. To increase virtual memory, please see here.

Max Quality mode works well for shorter tracks (up to 12 minutes or so), for longer tracks if you have enough free memory, it can take a few minutes depending on your processor speed and number of cores. If freezing is an issue, and you do not mind a longer processing time you can also reduce the number of workers.

Bottom line, Max Quality takes a finite amount of time as it has to process the whole track in memory, and it also takes resources. This is not a bug, which is why there is an option to use Max Speed. For albums with longer tracks, it may be better to use the 'Convert' option with Max Quality and then play the tracks in real-time.

Since we could't choose Tap length manually any more, I have to set from 1536khz down to 768khz.  Then 32g memory is enough.  If using virtual memory, it'l be painful.  Thanks!

Since we could't choose Tap length manually any more, I have to set from 1536khz down to 768khz.  Then 32g memory is enough.  If using virtual memory, it'l be painful.  Thanks!

Choosing Max Speed will process the input as 1M blocks with some overlap and is equivalent to *32M taps* at 32 fS

Those who use PGGB 256 trial (trial does snot expire for EQ generation) to generate EQ profiles for foo_pggb_rt, please note that there was a bug in EQ generation (L and R EQ were swapped), I just released a patch to fix that and make sure you grab the latest version 5.3.53 here.

No, this is not an update to foo_pggb_rt but an update to the EQ tool in PGGB 256.

• 1 month later...

Since PGGB has no official NAA like HQ, I have to use Moode/Ropieee's uPnP as bridge.  Very old PGGB can play a couple of minutes then stopped.  Free PGGB can only play 1 second then a window jump out and reads error cause stopping.  If un-enable PGGB, everything to uPnP bridge is fine.

Since PGGB has no official NAA like HQ, I have to use Moode/Ropieee's uPnP as bridge.  Very old PGGB can play a couple of minutes then stopped.  Free PGGB can only play 1 second then a window jump out and reads error cause stopping.  If un-enable PGGB, everything to uPnP bridge is fine.

I wonder if it is due to the higher sample-rate, I do not see why PGGB-RT would cause it to fail. Have you tried to convert a few tracks with the same settings, then play them via uPnP?