Over the past several years I have been testing and experimenting with different network systems for my customers and for use in audio.  My last test was the straw that broke the camels back.  I was testing with ASUS high end routers and ZenWifi wired backhaul.  About $1000 worth of hardware and the software broke more things on my network from wireless printing, to Chromecast and HomeKit.  I worked for week and found that while there are some workarounds out there, I did not find what I would call a commercial way to deploy this at scale.  

Most  of this stuff worked OK with TP-Link Omada, but It was time for a change!

A quick trip to Microcenter, to buy one Ubiquity UDM SE  $499 and one Unifi 6 LR  $184 access point.  An hour after I got home I had ripped out the ASUS stuff and Omada gear I had standing by in parallel but off.  I did not replace my 24 port dumb network switch for now.  

The new 3.0.13 Unifi OS is dramatically smoother than the 1.x version I had played with a while back.  The UDM SE has some nice features that my older UI gear did not have.  

• The controller is now the OS and is built in
  • There is an 8 port POE switch on the SE
  • The WAN has two ports a 2.5Ge ethernet and a 10Ge SFP slot
  • The LAN also has a 10Ge SFP Slot.
  • The uint is silent.

NOTE I am running with only Local control I have not connected to Unifi Cloud.  I have to use that for my customers so that I can control their gear from wherever I am.  Since I work out of the house I will stay with local only for now.

With the 2.5Ge wired connection I now actually see the full internet speed I am paying Xfinity for!  

I placed the Unifi 6 AP in my favorite location, the 2nd floor hall ceiling.  The single AP covers all of my house rather nicely, it has been too cold to test outside, maybe to tomorrow.  I have a Unifi IWHD AP setup in my far corner basement office to give me fill in WiFi and four extra ethernet ports. (I will see about going to WiFi 6 down there later)

I link the network to my in-laws next door to provide them service with a P-T-P 30Mb wireless link.  I did not want to trench in fiber five years ago when they moved in.  They have an 8 port switch and a Unifi NanoHD AP there.  This is an extension of my internal network.  Keeping it all in the family!

Tomorrow I will start deploying Unifi Protect to replace the NEST cameras and Doorbell. this will keep all that data inside the house, out of googles hands, reduce power consumption, etc.  I may even deploy Unifi Talk to help the in-laws to replace the crappy ATT "wireless home phone" and save them some $$$

168166940_Screenshot2023-02-01at10_49_31PM.thumb.png.763cfd002fd5da605fbb8c6e9ab98ae2.png

Here is a snapshot of the console this evening.  Just shy of 50GB of traffic on the WAN, 70 active devices on the network.  Virtually instant response from Siri controlling lighting.  HomeKit automations are actually working, along with Airplay and mDNS

1956785953_Screenshot2023-02-01at10_35_10PM.thumb.png.27386e567e59f22a6b3cb3907a917593.png

All of the IOT other than cameras will now use Thread and soon Matter, I have removed the Hue lighting and have started replacing it with the new NanoLeaf Essentials lights. I am adding Eve Home motion sensors and I am looking at a couple of AC switches and outlets.  

The Printers are happy, Bob is happy, and the two families will be a lot happier now that I am no longer experimenting on them....

RJF

:PS I almost forgot.  To make all this IOT stuff work there are two settings I had to change:

2065030548_Screenshot2023-02-01at11_15_32PM.png.d7c8c261a49a58a70a677264e7c9aa1e.png

That was it,  JUST WORKS -- 

RJF

you have now fallen into the Unifi universe black hole & will never escape !

I entered about a year ago and find it such good equipment with very friendly interfaces. Problem is.. it keeps emptying my wallet as I find reasons to expand. Protect is also great.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

I actually have been deploying UniFi for several years.  But the system design and costs did not seem to be viable for home users.  Today I would say that is NOT true as our networks and device counts are rising.  

You have to run some CAT cables around and be a bit smart about locations of gear.  Part of the reason for posting this is to have a place to talk about getting a solid network for everything in your house.  Taking more control of your data and having a control platform that is all-in-one makes sense to me.  

Bob, thank you for the info you share in this and other posts , though much of it is above my paygrade. I was wondering if you could provide some context to illuminate me on your decision regarding "removing the Hue lighting and ... replacing it with the new NanoLeaf Essentials".

@Highfi  That is a good question.  There is a new cross-platform standard for iOT called Matter.  Underlying that standard is a network/communications protocol called Thread.  Thread devices form a mesh network in your home that is much than some of the others.  This methodology is the start of getting everyone speaking the same standard.  

The Nanoleaf Essentials  lighting is a lot cheaper vs Hue.