IGNORED

Synology Died After 10 years, What Next?

I've been using a TrueNas Mini for like 7 years now and have been very happy with its performance and reliability. I did have to replace a Motherboard on it about 5 yrs ago due to a known hardware issue on their part but they replaced it for Free. It was a straightforward swap but I am an IT guy so take that FWIW. Given its current age I do have that thought on occasion when it will go gills up for good but my backup strategy is sound in case it does, so I'm not too concerned. 

My unit is pretty small in terms of its storage capacity (4TB ...4x1TB drives) but its got 32gb of RAM and shows very little CPU load no matter what I do. I've been running the same Western Digital "Red" drives since day one. They work very well.

All in all, no complaints from me on this unit and I would recommend it to anyone given my own experience.

If using 10GigE from end to end, it would be an interesting experiment to enable Jumbo Frames to see if it makes any worth while differences, for better or worse, in terms of large file load times and or perceived SQ.

This of course would be dependent on all hardware involved from NAS to DAC supporting or knowing what "Jumbo Frames" are and how to handle them when they arrive...Heh.