IGNORED

Synology Died After 10 years, What Next?

Hi Guys, my Synology DS1812+ died yesterday. It’s what I used as a backup. I still have a QNAP for storage, but it’s time to rethink my storage situation. 

I’d love to know what you guys are using, what you recommend, or what you’ve seen that looks interesting. 

I’m considering TrueNAS, but am also very open to ideas. 

https://www.truenas.com/systems-overview/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Priaptor said:

Chris, it depends upon your wants and needs.

IF your storage device needs be in the listening room, you may want to look at something like the QNAP TS-i410x (TS-i410X | Wide temperature & fanless 10GbE industrial NAS for harsh environments. Long-term availability. | QNAP (US)) which I am currently using, has two 10GbE ports built in and is totally silent and very small.  A more expensive solution is the QNAP TS-h1290FX, an all flash solution, super fast and very quiet and can be used for a multitude of services way beyond just storage (TS-h1290FX | Powerful 12-bay U.2 NVMe/ SATA all-flash NAS, featuring ZFS-based storage and 25GbE connectivity, ideal for office environments, collaborative 4K/8K video editing, and file sharing (Supports QuTS hero or QTS system) | QNAP (US))

The problem with the TS-i410X is that depsite it's incredible speed, light weight, small size and silent operation, it is not powerful enough to run ROON as a more powerful NAS is.  

I gave up on Synology myself.  I am not familiar with TrueNas but now have QNAPs in my Montana and Florida homes. I have had failures with my Synology (had 3 synology NAS in the past) in the past and my last Synology, unfortuantely, in order to get the speed advertised with a 10GbE port was very loud and the actually specs hidden in the fine print and only realized after install of the card which automatically sets fan speed to high. Even though my NAS wasn't occupying a space in my listening room its noise was just too loud for everything other than an industrial closet. 

Hi @Priaptor, great to hear from you. Thanks for the reccomendations. I'm a big fan of QNAP and have been treated well by QNAP support over the years. That's important to me, as I'm sure it is to you. Everything works great, until it doesn't :~)

I should've been a bit more specific. I can place this NAS anywhere in the house. I have fiber running from the top to the bottom of the place, and would like to take advantage of 10Gbe. I've been playing some huge files lately, where each one is 3-8GB, and transferring albums that are 60GB. Transferring albums that large can take time, but it isn't the end of the world even though I'm impatient. Playing huge files needs to happen immediately.  

I've been kicking around the idea of storing all the huge files locally, but I really don't like multiple copies unless they are backups. Plus, NVMe terabytes in Mac laptops are expensive and not upgradable. 

I'm currently using a little over 16TB, and will need much more space as I add 12 channel DXD albums and other multichannel albums. That puts the very cool TS-i410X out of the running as it only has four drives slots. The TS-h1290FX looks amazing. I'm goign to start researching that one now. Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, are you synchronizing your QNAPs in the two location?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

@The Computer Audiophile

How big is your interest to safe money on the backup installation (in comparison to QNAP) providing similar performance or better without the hardware specific limitations?
I am running UNRAID since a couple of years and I am happy with what I got so far ( we may have different  needs ?)
- the software sits on usb stick and runs entirely from RAM.
- You can configure your hardware to your prefrence, i.e the type of network cards or a NVME cache

- you've got dockers for the software you want to run in addition.
- You could Run XFS, ZFS or Btrfs as filesytem
- In fact, if your hardware dies, just migrate your disks and the stick to new hardware and you are all set.
- I haven't lost a single disk in yet in 8 years, thus upgraded 8 or10, including the parity disks.

Once setup,  it is a piece of cake, depending on the demands you you have. As pure backup perhaps a breeze ;-)

Hi Tom, I'm thinking about replacing the existing QNAP and turning that into the backup. 

I'd prefer not to go crazy on this NAS, but I'm keeping an open mind on both the high and low ends. 

I will check out UNRAID. I haven't look at the project in many years. 

10 minutes ago, davide256 said:

FWIW the newer generation WD Red Pro do perform appreciably faster than the standard WD Red. Size and speed became a problem for me when I was dabbling with

PGGB 768/24 WAV files that tipped the scales at ~6GB an album. But the main choke point was always the GigE limit of the streamer /NAS which meant wait time for a full

album buffer. Have lacked incentive to upgrade to a NAS with 2.5/10GigE as the streamer would still be a choke point, wondering if what you use has bigger

than a GigE port?

I can do 10GBe on my QNAP and CAPS Twenty computer. Thinking about testing 10GBe on my Mac, but Merging technologies hasn't certified it to work with Ravenna.