IGNORED

Synology Died After 10 years, What Next?

Chris,

I am sort of re-working my strategy here.  I am migrating to a single music playback computer (other than testing). That computer is a M1 Mac mini with an OWC external storage device.  The music is on the OWC drives and is being synced to the NAS for backup.

I am adapting my systems to backup the data from all the computers in the house to iDrive remotely.  I am also looking at iDrive for internal backups like we used to do with crash plan.  I am not sure what software I will use yet.  

The local main backup is a Synology DS 1019+ with five 8TB drives and one cache SSD.  I am going back to 2.5in portable backup drives for the Safe Deposit Box.

I have somewhere around 15TB of backup for all of us in the family.

We are also syncing data between two NAS devices, mine in Illinois and another one in Washington.  (mostly backup of their data)

Chris,

I know a couple of folks that have used SoftRAID , but I have not tried it myself.  I have an OWC Thunderbay 8 that I intended to use for that.  I have just kept the status quo with a NAS.  My strategy is in flux, as I mentioned before.  I want a 3-2-1 backup strategy working for me all the time with an additional static offsite backup such as an online cold storage system or the Safe Deposit Box.

Reliable automation is my tripping point.

I think I have finally solved the offsite backup with iDrive running on six machines.  Getting the NAS to be the local backup and a possible bridge to another outside service still sees to me to be simpler.