IGNORED

Synology Died After 10 years, What Next?

@The Computer Audiophile thanks for starting this discussion. I have a much simpler NAS setup and even much less knowledge on this subject but thought it might be helpful to share what I been using for several years now in managing my music library.

My NAS is a single bay Synology with a 2TB drive and an attached USB drive that I use to backup the NAS drive. I actually have two USB drives where one is connected to the NAS for backup purposes and the other resides in a deposit box at the bank for offsite storage. I swap out the USB drives every few months.

The initial reason for this approach allowed me to download music or rip CD's using my personal/work Win-based laptop and then easily copy the files to the NAS where they could be accessed by my music server (Linux running HQP and/or Roon). As such, I have 3 copies of my music (laptop, NAS, USB drive).

Since I have discovered Qobuz, I find that I don't buy much music these days because I can just stream using Qobuz where I can't tell any difference in SQ or at least any appreciable difference. For years, I would never consider buying a movie when I can generally find it on Netflix, etc. so this is pretty much the same now with music.

With my NAS and HDD approaching 10 years, I have been thinking about replacing both the NAS and HDD so this thread has been good to listen to others and what they are doing or considering. The move to an attached USB HDD would be a cheap way to go, but I still very occasionally buy music and want to be able to easy copy the files from Win computer to Linux computer so as of now still looking to go with the NAS route. In any case, thanks for sanity check.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I sync between Windows and Mac so I don't offhand know what the best sync software to keep Linux and Windows files synchronized is, but I'm sure there must be choices.  Might well be a lot cheaper than a new NAS.

Thanks @Jud, this got me exploring other options. 

As mentioned, I rarely buy new music, in favor of streaming, so I don’t need to sync Windows to Linux. Instead, I can just use FTP via FileZilla which I have already tested.  So current plan is just use an external USB drive for music files.  As a backup, I can attach a second USB drive to the Linux computer and use “cp” command to do periodic backups between drives. I realize this is all a bit manual but is only needed periodically.