IGNORED

Atmos Height speakers

I am investigating upgrading my 5.1 system to a 5.1.4 system to support Atmos music. Using the Atmos speaker layout tool at Cinema-tools.com  It turns out that for my room the positions for my 4 height speakers is at the wall/ceiling boundary. So I do not need in-ceiling speakers. I would be looking to mount standard bookshelf type speakers on articulating mounts that would allow me to point the speakers at the MLP. Finding mounts is not hard.  Finding speakers with threaded inserts on the back to support installation on mounts is much more challenging. Most of what I find are pro- audio speakers. I am looking for known recommendations for speakers that fit this use case. Thanks for any insights. 

1) If at all possible stay with the same manufacturer as your bed channels, at least for the front and rear heights.  Timbre matching, phase issues and overall coherence of sound will be negatively affected if you mix and try to match. 

2) I'd position the heights at around 30 degrees from the MLP ear height (and no closer to the MLP than the fronts, within 10%) and if possible, later put something at 90 degrees to fill in the hole created by a 120 degree gap.  This is also a nice combo setup where Auro-3D and DTS:X (30 degrees and overhead tops) excel, and Atmos still sounds amazing. 

I knew Roy several years ago, and loved his speaker designs.  I am sorry to hear of his passing. 

What is your use case for the Atmos setup, more movies or music or both?  I will say that timbre-matching is more important for music, but that's just a hunch.  My SVS Prime Elevations are nice middle of the road heights, and provide good wall or ceiling supports.  I am moving a pair of them from their 45 degree positions on my ceiling to a 90 degree (overhead) top position while I add Aerials to my 30 degree height positions, to augment my Aerials in the bed layer.  I will have one pair of SVS's to sell.  Anyway.....that's all I know.  :)

On 1/5/2023 at 10:55 PM, Roy Boy said:

I use SVS Prime Elevation for my 4 heights and one pair of surround back.  They easily take a mount for relatively easy ceiling installation and pointing toward the MLP.  They sound great for immersive music and Atmos movies but you will always run into issues matching with your mail LCR.  

image.thumb.jpeg.d54bdd0615f96c69b532979ef6873b79.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 9:55 PM, Roy Boy said:

I am investigating upgrading my 5.1 system to a 5.1.4 system to support Atmos music. Using the Atmos speaker layout tool at Cinema-tools.com  It turns out that for my room the positions for my 4 height speakers is at the wall/ceiling boundary. So I do not need in-ceiling speakers. I would be looking to mount standard bookshelf type speakers on articulating mounts that would allow me to point the speakers at the MLP. Finding mounts is not hard.  Finding speakers with threaded inserts on the back to support installation on mounts is much more challenging. Most of what I find are pro- audio speakers. I am looking for known recommendations for speakers that fit this use case. Thanks for any insights. 

Clamp mounts may be what you need.  A quick search shows something as follows. There should be other better designs available.

https://www.amazon.com/Vogels-Universal-Speaker-Wall-Mount/dp/B0002Z827G/ref=psdc_10966911_t3_B01GUITK24?th=1