IGNORED

Article: What Is Discrete Immersive Audio, and Some Atmos Music Favorites, Part 3

What if a Discrete Immersive album is released as 5.1.4, and listeners have 7.1.4 systems? This is easy to remedy without any manual labor. When playing a 5.1.4 Discrete Immersive 24/384 album, I use a convolution filter created by Mitch Barnett that routes the audio to the correct speakers. Given that everyone with a system capable of playing a 24/384 Discrete Immersive album will also want/use convolution capabilities anyway, this really isn't even an added step. 

Can you detail what the convolution actually does?  Does it create a mix of the adjacent channels for the missing ones, e.g., mix(FR+RR) -> SR or mix(FRH+SR) -> SRH?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Can you detail what the convolution actually does?  Does it create a mix of the adjacent channels for the missing ones, e.g., mix(FR+RR) -> SR or mix(FRH+SR) -> SRH?

It can do anything you want. 

Mine just routes audio to the right channels and does room correction.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It can do anything you want. 

That's attractive.

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Mine just routes audio to the right channels and does room correction.

What I am asking is whether it creates a location-appropriate signal (or simply copies an adjacent channel).  Roon/JRiver, of course, can do these things with a little hand's effort but not in a very sophisticated way.

Kal Rubinson

Just now, Kal Rubinson said:

That's attractive.

What I am asking is whether it creates a location-appropriate signal (or simply copies an adjacent channel).  Roon/JRiver, of course, can do these things with a little hand's effort but not in a very sophisticated way.

If it’s 5.1.4 it sends audio to the correct 10 channels of my 12 channel system. I don’t mess with creating information in spaces that aren’t on the recording. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

52 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If it’s 5.1.4 it sends audio to the correct 10 channels of my 12 channel system. I don’t mess with creating information in spaces that aren’t on the recording. 

I misinterpreted "What if a Discrete Immersive album is released as 5.1.4, and listeners have 7.1.4 systems?"  and what followed to mean that it was doing upmixing.  So, it is just rerouting.  

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I misinterpreted "What if a Discrete Immersive album is released as 5.1.4, and listeners have 7.1.4 systems?"  and what followed to mean that it was doing upmixing.  So, it is just rerouting.  

I’m just routing channels because channels 1-10 don’t align with my 1-12. Upmixing could be done though. 

On 12/16/2022 at 12:21 AM, ted_b said:

Great article, Chris, as usual.  We've been pleasantly surprised by the openness of the labels to let their native discrete DXD masters of this stuff out to the public (well, 10+ channel dac public, that is  :)  ).  I've asked some more traditional 2 and 8 channel dac manufacturers to take a close look at possibly providing, for the market, a 10+ channel configuration that would work, whether it's similar to the stacking I worked with Mytek on back 10 years ago (the Asio driver and usb hub being the traffic cops on that one), or a way to combine units with word clocks, etc.  Anyway, it should be fun to see what comes up to add to the pool of dacs that can do DXD 7.1.4 (i.e 12 channels of 24/352.8k.....or more  :)  ).  Stay tuned. 

I would be very interested in a DAC like that.  I am using a MOTU 24AO studio audio interface now, which is great, but fussy.  I could see Topping taking their 8 channel DAC and glueing two of them together in a 19in rack 16 channel form factor.  maybe add Ravenna?

eClassical also sells a lot of 5.0, 5.1, 7.1, etc., downloads.  But I haven't seen any with height channels, as well, so perhaps not to be included in this round-up.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Also available on Tidal...

Dave McKendry - HumanBeingKind

https://tidal.com/album/251350497

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas

https://tidal.com/album/260023200

Lyden av Arktis (The Sound of the Arctic)

https://tidal.com/album/255308155

Lumin T2 / Smyth Realiser A16 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266 PHI TC / Raal SR1a > Enhanced LFE by Clark Synthesis Platinum TST429

• 9 months later...