IGNORED

The Who in 24/96

I have the CD reissue from 1996. I've always liked it and thought it was a huge improvement over the crappy sound of the original LP.

Is the new download really that much better?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I emailed him and asked if he liked it as much as it sounded like in the edited comments on HDTracks. He said yes - it's better than the SACD release. He doesn't like it as much as the original vinyl release (on Track, not Decca), but said it's great.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

OK Have just downloaded it.

The liner notes are from the SACD 5.1 version made from the 8 track tapes but do refer to the original stereo masters also having been found in 2003 and used for the stereo release. The liner notes show 25 tracks and the extra 17 out-takes/demos tracks.

The actual download though is 24 tracks - Just to confuse us all !

cheers Vincent

Sydneysider

I played the whole thing and was waiting for the last transition into the last four minutes and boom! It's not there. A guy over at the Hoffman site posted the same info just looking at the times. I contacted them but no answer. If you're planning to download wait until it's all fixed. The last track should be 7 minutes, not 3!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

I believe that some of the early vinyl versions did not feature the 25th track (See Me Feel Me/Listening To You). I believe most CD versions including the Deluxe Edition (SACD Hybrid) did include it but the MFSL version did not. All in all very confusing as to which or what is correct.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I purchased this download yesterday. Their Java based downloader successfully downloaded the pdf artwork and the first track and then it refuses to download any more, saying that there is a problem with my Internet connection.

My web browser and email client are both working fine. I have Internet Explorer 9 and Mozilla Firefox 4 RC installed on Windows 7 Ultimate (x64). I have made sure that my Java software is up to date. I have also tried this download on two other PCs in the house and exactly the same thing happens.

What with this failed download and someone else on this board reporting credit card fraud problems after purchasing from HDtracks, I'll think I'll give them a miss from now on!

I'm going to make sure that they either ensure that I am able to complete the download or they give me a full refund.

Out of interest, do people actualy like downloading music, or would you prefer distribution on DVD for high resolution music?

Is downloading something being forced on is by distributors such as HD Tracks? I know there is the conveinience of immediate access but would people prefer a physical disk even if you have to wait a few days?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Nothing is really being forced on as we always have the choice to purchase or to pass. I do prefer downloading music to the physical distribution of music on optical disc and see this as the inevitable means of buying music going forward.

Frank Zappa

were bonus material and not included on regular discs? Do these guys actually listen to what they release? Nope. HDTracks Tommy just ends with no fade or "Listening....." Here's the email they are sending everyone:

Dear valued customer,

Thank you for your inquiry about Tommy. The original version of Tommy

was sent to HDtracks (24 tracks total). The deluxe edition has 25

tracks, but HDtracks is releasing the original version of the album

which does not have the bonus track "See Me, Feel Me". You will see that

other digital download stores are offering the same album as HDtracks,

with 24 tracks, but as mp3s.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Personally, I prefer downloads. I have fast Internet access (50Mbps) and can download even the largest releases in minutes vs. waiting days / weeks for the data on a physical disc.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Thanks to all for your replies. I was just curious.

Personally the first thing I do when I download any music is write a copy to a CD / DVD as a backup and with a number of posts about issues with downloads I wondered what people felt.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have a CD version done in 1996 and it also has only 24 tracks

The running time is off on the the HDTracks by 4 minutes. There is no bonus end track. The CD's w/24 tracks simply have 24+25 combined for one track compared to the 25 version. They messed up. I owned the original vinyl and it never ended like this.

Yes they messed up. Unfortunately HD Tracks doesn't realize it. I contacted them and they obviously haven't listened to Tommy before, judging from their response. A concept album without the last few minutes? The fact that they refused to offer a refund doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the don't even realize that they failed to include the whole album and won't fix it.

Tim

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I just received the following response to a further inquiry I made regarding the missing track.

"Dear Valued Customer,

We genuinely appreciate the passionate interest in music our customers share with HDTracks.com. When we offer titles from our label partners, and our customers comment, we take their comments seriously and do everything we can to address any concerns. We stand behind our customers.

As an online retailer, we’re not always in a position to dictate what our content provider decides to package and sell as an album through HDTracks.com, nor can we ever be as knowledgeable as a company as our customers are individually when it comes to album release content. When a customer has a concern about an album release, we listen, and we go back to our content providers to find out how we can make our customers happy.

We’re not satisfied until the customer is satisfied. As a result of your valuable feedback, we are working on a solution to satisfy our customers who've purchased The Who's Tommy and have questions about the length of Track 24. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your continued support as we build the world’s biggest high-definition audio music store on the Internet.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you to satisfy you with your purchase.

Regards,

The HDtracks Team"

Frank Zappa

I got the same reply from them.

It doesn't sound like a missing track - it just sounds like the last track was truncated (it ends abruptly).

Hopefully they get it sorted - it sounds great.

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin