IGNORED

Considering mating 14 gauge speaker wire to vintage Yamaha receiver with spring-clip small gauge access holes

JCC in Chicago

Question

1) In terms of signal loss, Is it worth trying this if I need to taper the ends of the wire to fit the old speaker wire connectors on the receiver? (I would need about 10 feet for each speaker).

2) If so, any recommendations for a stock adaptor for this purpose, or should I simply trim the copper until it fits into the hole?

Thank you!

9 answers to this question

There won't be any real loss. It's wire gauge times length. So you're looking at 10 feet of 14AWG and 2 inches of 16 or 18AWG.

The short length of small won't hurt anything. Heck, the woofer voice coil wire is smaller than that.

There are pin terminals for speaker cables, but I don't have a link.

4 minutes ago, JCC in Chicago said:

Was not familiar withe the term "pin connector". Found 5 pairs on Amazon for $9.

Much appreciated!

Be certain to get a crimp pin as opposed to a ferrule.  Ferrules are hollow, and the wire feeds to the end of the hollow tube.  A crimp pin has the wire terminated at the top crimp sleeve, and the pin is solid. 

Edit:  You may have better luck if you look for Sta-Kon crimp pin, or Sta-Kon pin terminal.  

Be careful with crimp pins and the type of connecter you have as the spring in the mechanism may not be strong enough to prevent the pin connector from wiggling out. I have had that issue before. Just an FYI.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Well, I did use those and the braidedwire is a little fragile so just be careful and they should work.  

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects