IGNORED

holo audio's RED! CM4 inside!network player, digital player

Based on the core module of Raspberry Pie(cm4 ,2g ram, no wifi,no emmc), Red Raspberry Pie has received extensive and good software support from Raspberry Pie, while providing high-quality peripheral circuits and power supply, making it a flexible and high-quality Hifi playing platform. With different systems, you can complete the functions of network player or digital player.

iis(hdmi)output:Output 4 definitions。

01.thumb.jpg.bad19f192370948d6d12df2a99834e29.jpg02.thumb.jpg.e8979b537ca965a51c21b6fa3938b3db.jpg03.thumb.jpg.e72e3bb9379d52350d4ea013d4b2e863.jpgIMGP6295.thumb.jpg.e1139f819c4d975f7fa99b78b29c43cf.jpgIMGP6298.thumb.jpg.8b5d97e7e93ec5d00fe6d5c0da3bf372.jpgIMGP6300.thumb.jpg.abab8523a000d7f908710d99db888f88.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 7:41 PM, davide256 said:

hmmm, it all comes to naught if the power supply isn't good and that blue PS looks like a common cheesy PS... they need to provide more info

as there is nothing in their store page thats speaks to its provenance

What provenance? It is PCB mounted toroidial transformer. I've used similar myself for my own designs.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...

For easy comparison:

Note that Mercury v1 has been superseded by v2.  Unknown if there are any measurement differences. 

Let me know if you spot any typos...

Golden Sound Measurements.png

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

46 minutes ago, Qstik said:

For easy comparison:

Note that Mercury v1 has been superseded by v2.  Unknown if there are any measurement differences. 

Let me know if you spot any typos...

Golden Sound Measurements.png

Thank you !
Would you mind to add perhaps date for the Ifi zen stream @ 399 USD
output: Coaxial SPDIF/USB
48 Jitter RMS 173.4
48 Jitter Peak 544.7

44 Jitter RMS 194,3

44 Jitter Peak 569.4
Noise SPDIF out 3.493 peak 13.12
source: https://goldensound.audio/2021/07/22/ifi-zen-stream-measurements/
Still wondering where our hearing tresholds are for this kind of interferences ? Just as reference ...

19 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Just comparing data sets, it looks like we have two  same/same technology pairs with ifi/Mercury and  HOLO/Singxer?

Yes, but I would be very careful about trying to draw conclusions, other than to say that the Zen Stream might be more cost effective than the Mercury v1 if going strictly by one-off measurements of limited parameters.  It would be prudent to investigate much further.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

1 hour ago, Qstik said:

Yes, but I would be very careful about trying to draw conclusions, other than to say that the Zen Stream might be more cost effective than the Mercury v1 if going strictly by one-off measurements of limited parameters.  It would be prudent to investigate much further.

Agree, there is much more to devices we like than the strict data of objective measurements only.
Price is one important factor for many, but not for all. Design, performance, renommée, build quality, brand experience etc. come to mind, too.

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

Agree, there is much more to devices we like than the strict data of objective measurements only.
Price is one important factor for many, but not for all. Design, performance, renommée, build quality, brand experience etc. come to mind, too.

I did a Google search for "ifi zen stream vs pi2aes" and found a nice review at another site.  The reviewer cited a "forward" projection of the soundstage for the Zen Stream, which he preferred.  I, on the other hand, prefer a deep recessed soundstage, if that's intended in the recording.  I have found that soundstage depth and width differentiate many recordings and become more clearly evident as I keep evolving / improving my system.  Right now, I am more than happy with my Pi2AES rev P3 + RPi4b 4GB powered by a Ferrum Hypsos @30v.  However, I am intrigued by several comparison comments to the Holo Red.  I think I'll take a wait and see approach while both Pi2Design and Holo Audio resolve issues with their microsd slots not latching.  It's hard to know if users are just jamming in their memory cards too vigorously or if there is a design/quality/manufacturing issue causing latches to prematurely fail.  The last thing I want is the time and cost to send a unit back to Asia for repairs, as would be the case for a Holo unit.

I just received a Holo Red this morning, got it set up in UPNP mode and I'm having real problems. I can only play certain albums, others just don't play, doesn't matter whether the files are flac or ALAC, although I've yet to find an ALAC that plays. I really have no clue where the problem lies, really doesn't make any sense.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

26 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

I just received a Holo Red this morning, got it set up in UPNP mode and I'm having real problems. I can only play certain albums, others just don't play, doesn't matter whether the files are flac or ALAC, although I've yet to find an ALAC that plays. I really have no clue where the problem lies, really doesn't make any sense.

Can you describe your chain? Mediaserver, control point …. how/which dac is connected

Stefano

My audio system

36 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Can you describe your chain? Mediaserver, control point …. how/which dac is connected

This seems to be related to the control point that I've been using, Linn Kazoo or the latest Linn app (white icon). The Lumin app seems to be able to play everything but I can only start things playing with the Lumin app, the control buttons don't function, no pause etc. I really don't understand this as the Linn apps are usually the most robust control points.

My music files are on a Synology NAS running MinimServer2, Holo Red is connected to network via Ethernet, USB out from Red to Ayre QX-5/20 DAC.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

1 hour ago, Axiom05 said:

This seems to be related to the control point that I've been using, Linn Kazoo or the latest Linn app (white icon). The Lumin app seems to be able to play everything but I can only start things playing with the Lumin app, the control buttons don't function, no pause etc

They all need to be used with Bubbleupnpserver which gives the Red the necessary OpenHome compatibility.

It can be installed on your Synology nas following the instructions you’ll find in the Bubbleupnpserver site.

As alternatives that don’t require Bubbleupnpserver you can use:

• Bubbleupnp (Android only, not to be confused with Bubbleupnpserver)
  • MConnect Player (iOS and Android), the Lite version is free with advertising banners, the HD version (paid) is optimized for tablets (landscape layout) , the MConnect Player version (paid) is better with smartphone (portrait layout)

Stefano

My audio system

• 1 month later...

Got my Holo Red a few weeks back.  Using it as a NAA with HQPE and a simple optical bridge (with USB out to Holo May)

Set up wasn’t that easy due to poor instructions but not too difficult.  And it’s been rock solid (unlike my Optical Rendu) and sounds really good.   Can’t say it’s any worse or better than the OR which was a great device but for the dropouts 

I think the Red is the better option due to the much cheaper price (especially if you factor in the cost of a decent LPSU) and the additional output options (which admittedly I don’t use)

I’ve also got a JCAT USB XE which does sound sweeter/warmer to my ears (if that’s your thing).  But again more expensive if you factor in the cost of a 5v LPSU.

I’m sure there are superior options out there but for the price I’m really pleased with it.

Another Red data point to add-

- From order to receipt took just under 6 weeks, as promised

- History - I used to use various HiFiBerry and Allo streamers. When the Shanti for my Allo DigiOne Sig/USB Sig died (eats fuses) I didn't want to invest in two new power supplies for the Allo. So I picked up an Ifi Zen Stream through my employer with bonus points earned from coworkers. The ZS could not connect to the network when an EtherRegen was used from A(optical) to B, but connected instantly when going from A(opt) to A (RJ45). The ZS could never pass DSD256 from Roon or HQP, and its web interface was unable to keep the DAC (Michi P5) in Direct DSD mode, always switching automatically to DoP. The ZS was able to pass DSD256 with no problem into a Gustard A20 and Mytek Brooklyn+.

- Based on these minor connection glitches, and a comment online that the Red was not compatible w/ the Michi, I was a little worried. But the Red connected perfectly, even with EtherRegen from A(opt) to B, and does DSD256 all day, no issues. Still w/ stock Red SW. Sounds great and I like not having to spend $$ on an external power supply.

So, happy Red user here. No connection issues with Michi P5. Have tried as NAA and Roon device - very stable.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:27 AM, Patatorz said:

Hello, just received this product for testing. Despite the unit is delivered with its own software, I started trying it with Gentooplayer. It is a no brainer to make it work and it could be a strong improvement as you can have access to multiple players (lms, mpd, upmpdcli, roon, gmediarender, etc…) and optimizing kernels and tweak the OS. It works also very easily as a Diretta target.

Now need to spend time listening 😃

Hi @Patatorz

Would it be possible to use it like this?:

Pachanko MINI SE > Diretta RJ/e > Holo red > Optical out > DAC 

And then use Roon, HQplayer and diretta via the optical out of the holo red to my DAC

Please can you give me advice, i am not a computer nerd.

Hello @Patatorz,

Sorry, what i mean bij RJ/e = ethernet cable.

If i want to play ROON and HQplayer:

Pachanko constellation Mini SE with Roon, HQplayer (No NAA!) and diretta (host) ethernet out > Holo Red (with NAA) > optical out > to Optical in from my DAC?

And if i want to play ROON, HQplayer and Diretta:

Pachanko constellation Mini SE with Roon, HQplayer (No NAA!) and diretta (host) ethernet out > Diretta target/USB bridge section > USB cable > Holo Red (with NAA) > optical out > to optical in from my DAC?

Is that the good way to go for the HOLO RED?