IGNORED

Article: Dynaudio Focus 10 Active Loudspeaker Review

Hi, Chris ,
this Focus 10 sound like wireless well engineered. Definitely Danish ;-)
The WISA solution is so much better engineered than i.e. Kleernet or such ...
I think @bobfa came across WISA when reviewing the Buchardt A400 ...
Small note to the connoisseurs:
Avantgarde Acoustic has used Pascal Class D Amplification for their bass module for years. and iirc Dutch&Dutch are Pascal customers as well.

the forthcoming JPLAY iOS control point app for UPnP

I know not the focus of this article, but heard anything about this release? The thread on their site starts here

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:35 AM

We've been developing a dedicated JPLAY iOS app since October 2019. The app is close to official release. 

then a year later

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:31 AM

It is a matter of days

and then it looks like he got tired of being asked locked it down in June 

Posted 03 June 2022 - 03:30 PM

I am closing the topic now until the app is released and some sensible discussion can occur. 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

I have always admired Dynaudio looks design, manufacturing, engineering… I’ve just never had a chance to hear them. If I were buying passive speakers I would definitely seek them out for a listen (Confidence or Evidence range.) It’s seems like they exist on an island. I just very rarely see reviews of them or see them compared to headline brands like Magico etc. 

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

5 hours ago, bbosler said:

the forthcoming JPLAY iOS control point app for UPnP

I know not the focus of this article, but heard anything about this release? The thread on their site starts here

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:35 AM

We've been developing a dedicated JPLAY iOS app since October 2019. The app is close to official release. 

then a year later

Posted 04 May 2022 - 08:31 AM

It is a matter of days

and then it looks like he got tired of being asked locked it down in June 

Posted 03 June 2022 - 03:30 PM

I am closing the topic now until the app is released and some sensible discussion can occur. 

Last I heard, it was submitted to the App Store, after working through a major change for Qobuz. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great and informative review, as always.  I owned a paid of Dynaudio speakers many years ago and enjoyed them. 

I am wondering how this system compares to those from Dutch & Dutch, Kii and some others. Ultimately, I will be going in this direction (I.e., fully active with everything built in). A zillion boxes in a condo/apartment simply isn’t workable anymore. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

This is a bit off topic but this review reminded me of something that I posted elsewhere:  

I have been trying to go in an active speaker direction that is very different than that of the reviewed speaker. I want to keep the signal from my DAC in the analog domain for playback. 

In reviewing current active desktop speakers for my computer desktop setup, I am finding that nearly all modern powered monitors have internal DSP or DAC circuitry that converts all analog inputs to whatever bit depth and sample rate the speaker has programmed. I spent more than I could afford for DSD media, server, renderer, DAC, and HQPlayer software to be content to play back dsf files at 24/96 or 24/192. 

I am not certain that I even would hear the difference with nearfield speakers, but I don't see a need to add additional digital processing to this signal chain. I understand that the Genelec G Three has an analog amp and no DSP device, but, beyond that, I am finding almost nothing for less than $1500 a pair that both was introduced in the last five years and is analog-only, at least through its RCA or XLR inputs. 

If you follow the powered speaker niche and have thoughts, would you please add them in the thread linked above? 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

It would be interesting to read an active speaker comparison, such as KEF vs Elac vs Dynaudio, etc.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

On 11/11/2022 at 4:15 PM, DuckToller said:

Hi, Chris ,
this Focus 10 sound like wireless well engineered. Definitely Danish ;-)
The WISA solution is so much better engineered than i.e. Kleernet or such ...
I think @bobfa came across WISA when reviewing the Buchardt A400 ...
Small note to the connoisseurs:
Avantgarde Acoustic has used Pascal Class D Amplification for their bass module for years. and iirc Dutch&Dutch are Pascal customers as well.

I did have some experience with WISA and the generic hub that was shipped with the A500 speakers.  The hub software was totally unstable and I never really got the audio quality I expected from it.   The A500 is very good speaker.  The Hub let them down.  In addition I found later on that the XLR cables I was using did not do justice to the speakers.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:46 PM, Mike Rubin said:

This is a bit off topic but this review reminded me of something that I posted elsewhere:  

I have been trying to go in an active speaker direction that is very different than that of the reviewed speaker. I want to keep the signal from my DAC in the analog domain for playback. 

In reviewing current active desktop speakers for my computer desktop setup, I am finding that nearly all modern powered monitors have internal DSP or DAC circuitry that converts all analog inputs to whatever bit depth and sample rate the speaker has programmed. I spent more than I could afford for DSD media, server, renderer, DAC, and HQPlayer software to be content to play back dsf files at 24/96 or 24/192. 

I am not certain that I even would hear the difference with nearfield speakers, but I don't see a need to add additional digital processing to this signal chain. I understand that the Genelec G Three has an analog amp and no DSP device, but, beyond that, I am finding almost nothing for less than $1500 a pair that both was introduced in the last five years and is analog-only, at least through its RCA or XLR inputs. 

If you follow the powered speaker niche and have thoughts, would you please add them in the thread linked above? 

Phil Jones' designed Acoustic Energy AE1 are another actives with analog circuitry.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:46 PM, Mike Rubin said:

At $1500 it probably will get gradually harder to find analog only actives. It’s at a price point that’s not cheap so people expect good quality, but it doesn’t leave any room for customized components. At that price, I’d bet it’s easier to build a great sounding digital speaker that can use DSP driver correction and crossover than it would be to build a similarly  good sounding analog active.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

• 3 weeks later...

I've always been a little partial towards Dynaudio drivers.  Something about their sound appeals to me.

A few years ago, I looked long and hard at the Confidence C1 very closely for my speaker search.

While I didn't go with them eventually I came away with a deep appreciation of their design and engineering.  For the most part Dynaudio gets most things right.   I see myself going the Active route someday.  The sheer simplicity of the approach with minimal boxes etc will appeal to those who just don't want the hassle of fiddling with gear.  I'm still not on board with using DSP but it's interesting to see your strong endorsement.  Will have to explore that rabbit hole someday.

p.s.  Just found out about the "Audiophile Style 50" playlist ... Nice!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 4 weeks later...