IGNORED

Windows 11 Headless - not starting programs without a monitor

Hello All,

I am looking for some help with a fanless audio desktop that I have built.

I have built a fanless Windows 11 PRO desktop that is exclusively used for audio purposes. I want to use this headless.

Being an audio desktop I have installed Fidelizer software which initializes as soon as the machine boots up. The Fidelizer in turn starts the Foobar2000 software.

My issue:

If there is no monitor connected to the desktop, and if I COLD BOOT the desktop, then the Windows OS boots up and stops at the login screen. I then need to connect the monitor and enter credentials. Once this is done, the Fidelizer starts and that in turn starts the Foobar2000.

Now if I disconnect the monitor and RESTART (not cold boot) the desktop, then the Fidelizer and Foobar2000 starts up without having to log into the machine.

But if I COLD BOOT, then I have to re-attach the monitor and login and the cycle continues.

Since I intend to use the desktop in headless configuration, I was wondering if there is a way to avoid logging in during COLD BOOTs. I have looked into threads indicating that you can save passwords and setup auto login OR use AutoLogon script from Microsoft. That is not what I am looking for.

Can you please let me know if programs can be started without logging in? Is there a setup that I might be missing?

Thank You for your time.

3 minutes ago, stereousa said:

Hello All,

I am looking for some help with a fanless audio desktop that I have built.

I have built a fanless Windows 11 PRO desktop that is exclusively used for audio purposes. I want to use this headless.

Being an audio desktop I have installed Fidelizer software which initializes as soon as the machine boots up. The Fidelizer in turn starts the Foobar2000 software.

My issue:

If there is no monitor connected to the desktop, and if I COLD BOOT the desktop, then the Windows OS boots up and stops at the login screen. I then need to connect the monitor and enter credentials. Once this is done, the Fidelizer starts and that in turn starts the Foobar2000.

Now if I disconnect the monitor and RESTART (not cold boot) the desktop, then the Fidelizer and Foobar2000 starts up without having to log into the machine.

But if I COLD BOOT, then I have to re-attach the monitor and login and the cycle continues.

Since I intend to use the desktop in headless configuration, I was wondering if there is a way to avoid logging in during COLD BOOTs. I have looked into threads indicating that you can save passwords and setup auto login OR use AutoLogon script from Microsoft. That is not what I am looking for.

Can you please let me know if programs can be started without logging in? Is there a setup that I might be missing?

Thank You for your time.

This is a strange one but you have options other than troubleshooting until you’re blue in the face. 

This might work - https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display-Emulator-Headless-1920x1080-Generation/dp/B06XT1Z9TF

It presents a monitor to Windows even when there isn’t one. I’ve used it and it’s great for certain things. 

Else, just use RDP to connect to it remotely. This is how I connect to my CAPS Twenty machine. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thank you for the prompt response.

I have that exact dongle and still it did not work. After I tried everything I could, I landed here knowing that you folks have years of experience with audio servers. I moved to computer audio only in 2020. 
I was using an old Asus laptop before with Windows 10 home edition and that did not have this issue. My guess is, it always had the monitor, though I kept the lid closed and hence no issues.

11 minutes ago, stereousa said:

Thank you for the prompt response.

I have that exact dongle and still it did not work. After I tried everything I could, I landed here knowing that you folks have years of experience with audio servers. I moved to computer audio only in 2020. 
I was using an old Asus laptop before with Windows 10 home edition and that did not have this issue. My guess is, it always had the monitor, though I kept the lid closed and hence no issues.

Hmmm. 

To start something without logging in, it’ll need to run as a service. Not ideal for a music playback app. Are you saying that Foobar is running without any user logging into Windows, as long as you only reboot?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have several running in my home right now. You only need the monitor for login, after that I control the music programs with an android pad.

With win 11, you have to login, for programs to run at start up. You will have to change bios settings to do it also, 

This might help.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hmmm. 

To start something without logging in, it’ll need to run as a service. Not ideal for a music playback app. Are you saying that Foobar is running without any user logging into Windows, as long as you only reboot?

That is correct Chris. But only on "hot boot" or Restart. If I completely turn the power OFF and then physically turn the machine ON, then I first need to log on after which the Fidelizer starts and that starts the Foobar.

Folks,

I wanted to get back on what I have decided to go with. So based on Chris's question I made sure that what I said was correct - if I RESTART the desktop, Fidelizer auto starts and in turn starts Foobar2000. Hence I have decided that anytime I need to COLD BOOT, I will simply use the Remote desktop app and go that route. Once I log in, I will restart the machine. The only reason I do not want to login is because, I believe there are other services that start and I don't want that to happen.

Thank You all who responded 🙏

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

for autostart

you should try with "run" type neplwiz and you have the list of administrator accounts it is here that you can automate the password

when it comes to services, I'm on Windows 11 Pro Ultalight with Roon and hq player and I'm running with 38 Services instead of 80 at the start and the SQ and the audio quality is great

I followed this guide that I put to you

good reading

cpasmoi

Guide for Optimizing WS2019 in a Dual or Single PC JPLAY Femto-Based System.pdf

It is simple, - in the BIOS just make sure it says boot always. The BIOS looks for a monitor, and you have to turn that off.

I do it with 2 mini-PC's with not issues.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Well, I am using an ASUS ROG Strix B-450 MB. The BIOS's are different enough that it might be hard to say where that setting is.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 hours ago, stereousa said:

But my goal was not not start the few services that Windows starts, when you login.

Why do you care? Apart from the memory used, those services should have no impact on performance once login is completed. And, more importantly, they satisfy your primary goal of operating headless.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I advise you to follow as I explained in a previous one the Optimization Guide updated by a seasoned audiophile "Berniek" I installed Windows 11 Ultralight of which I have disk image which is very well optimized, at the intsllation I have 49 Services in operation I use Roon Server/Hqplayer embedded with Fidelizer pro and process lasso +ES and by following the list of services to deactivate, I arrive at 38 processes and 600 threads

cpasmoi😀

Lstes des services Windows 11 Ultralight.pdf