IGNORED

More Atmos Configurations Available In macOS Ventura

• 1 month later...

@The Computer Audiophile Chris, did you get it to work on streaming anything "not apple"?
I understand that it works with Apple Music, but I can't get it to work with Tidal . . . 

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

1 minute ago, DigiPete said:

@The Computer Audiophile Chris, did you get it to work on streaming anything "not apple"?
I understand that it works with Apple Music, but I can't get it to work with Tidal . . . 

Apple is the only service streaming Atmos to computers. All the others are super limited. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm afraid that apple is just sitting on the Spatial / Atmos SW engine, and has only allowed it for their own streaming service and their own DAW (Logic Pro).
The new apple scilicon Macs are plenty capable (as proved by Apple Music), costs more than some Atmos/  Auro 3D capable AVRs, so I really hope they open the bag for other streaming services like Tidal and Netflix.

All I want for Christmas is . . . .

Just now, DigiPete said:

I'm afraid that apple is just sitting on the Spatial / Atmos SW engine, and has only allowed it for their own streaming service and their own DAW (Logic Pro).
The new apple scilicon Macs are plenty capable (as proved by Apple Music), costs more than some Atmos/  Auro 3D capable AVRs, so I really hope they open the bag for other streaming services like Tidal and Netflix.

All I want for Christmas is . . . .

I've been trying to figure this one out. I believe Apple claims that the Dolby DD+JOC decoder is available to other apps in macOS, but I've never been able to get those apps to use it. I tried a podcast app that streams Atmos, but it didn't work.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 12/9/2022 at 4:38 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've been trying to figure this one out. I believe Apple claims that the Dolby DD+JOC decoder is available to other apps in macOS, but I've never been able to get those apps to use it. I tried a podcast app that streams Atmos, but it didn't work.

I really hope this will change very soon, so I don't have to go down the AVR box rabbit hole.
Talked to James Smyth. Current price for the Smyth A16 Realiser 2U PRO-AES3 including Auro 3D is $4799 + VAT.
I'd rather save that, but we'll see.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, mkt said:

The Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall streams in Dolby Atmos, and it works in safari on Mac. That is the only non-apple streaming content that I've seen play in atmos on a Mac. So technically possible, just not widely available.  

That's great to read. 

Do you know if the content is sent through the macOS Dolby DD+ decoder or if the content is just sent out via HDMI to a decoder?

33 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's great to read. 

Do you know if the content is sent through the macOS Dolby DD+ decoder or if the content is just sent out via HDMI to a decoder?

Just Mac -> DAC -> active 5.1.2. No HDMI or AVR. It is a mystery why it works and none of other video streaming sites seems to. 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.09167e653809132685052594d90bbc98.png

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's great to read. 

19 hours ago, mkt said:

Just Mac -> DAC -> active 5.1.2. No HDMI or AVR. It is a mystery why it works and none of other video streaming sites seems to. 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.09167e653809132685052594d90bbc98.png

So far I only see 3 ways of getting Atmos decoded (in one form or another) by software on the Mac:

1) Apple Music streaming
2) Apple TV+ streaming
3) Logic Pro - the studio software

Logic Pro could be interesting, if they allow playing Atmos into headphones that are not from Apple.
My Sundara would love some immersive 
😍
I stride on to find ways to NOT be forced to buy an AVR . . . . 

@mkt - Nice to see another Genelc SAM user 😄

2 hours ago, DigiPete said:

So far I only see 3 ways of getting Atmos decoded (in one form or another) by software on the Mac:

1) Apple Music streaming
2) Apple TV+ streaming
3) Logic Pro - the studio software

Logic Pro could be interesting, if they allow playing Atmos into headphones that are not from Apple.
My Sundara would love some immersive 
😍
I stride on to find ways to NOT be forced to buy an AVR . . . . 

@mkt - Nice to see another Genelc SAM user 😄

Oe of my worries is that Apple locks down access to the DD+ decoder to some apps only. If Qobuz launches Atmos, can its desktop app route through the decoder or will it be available on via iOS like Tidal and Amazon. 

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oe of my worries is that Apple locks down access to the DD+ decoder to some apps only. If Qobuz launches Atmos, can its desktop app route through the decoder or will it be available on via iOS like Tidal and Amazon. 

Chris, I'm afraid that Apple has made its "Spacial audio" concept as a loop hole, avoiding to pay Dolby the licensing fee.
I assume the licensing fee is Dolby's main income stream.
So Spacial audio isn't actually Atmos, but just a competing container of the same type of content.

Dolby likely accept this loophole, as they depend on a lot of Atmos content creators running on Apple silicon.
This also means that the beautiful, efficient and fast Apple SOC will continue to be locked out of decoding actual Atmos streams.
Lawyers and conflicting commercial interest has us locked out at least for the foreseeable future.

/Speculative RANT END/

12 minutes ago, DigiPete said:

Chris, I'm afraid that Apple has made its "Spacial audio" concept as a loop hole, avoiding to pay Dolby the licensing fee.
I assume the licensing fee is Dolby's main income stream.
So Spacial audio isn't actually Atmos, but just a competing container of the same type of content.

Dolby likely accept this loophole, as they depend on a lot of Atmos content creators running on Apple silicon.
This also means that the beautiful, efficient and fast Apple SOC will continue to be locked out of decoding actual Atmos streams.
Lawyers and conflicting commercial interest has us locked out at least for the foreseeable future.

/Speculative RANT END/

I don’t think so. It’s officially called Dolby Atmos with spatial audio by Apple. Spatial only engages with headphones. On a Mac, the Dolby logo is displayed when Atmos is played and the content is labeled Dolby Atmos. 

Even in iOS it’s labeled Dolby Atmos. I just took this screenshot. 

24FC856D-339F-442A-B53E-4DDB72EF125E.png

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don’t think so. It’s officially called Dolby Atmos with spatial audio by Apple. Spatial only engages with headphones. On a Mac, the Dolby logo is displayed when Atmos is played and the content is labeled Dolby Atmos. 

I hope, I beg and pray that I'm utterly wrong, and that general Atmos streaming and decoding in OSX will be available shortly.
Just give me Tidal, Netflix and Youtube 😄

Oh, and give me headphone decoding with a neat little Apple headtracker and personalised HRTF 🤘
Man, that would be awesome.

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

iOS 16 provides personalized HRTF by taking some front face and L/R ears photos.😉

Yes, and Genelec offers something similar, just more thorough and expensive.

And the Smyth Realiser A16 can do all that they are trying to do from actual 'in room measurements´, but all very quirky and expensive - think €/$+5k.

I'm just being impatient . . . 

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Greatest metal album of all time. Now that would get me into Dolby Atmos. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 11 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 12:53 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I noticed additional speaker configurations available in Audio MIDI in macOS Ventura. I think 7.1.4 is plenty, but it's nice to know one can go to 9.1.6 if s/he wishes. 

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.07.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.07.30 AM.png

Are you still seeing 5.1.4 in the Audio MIDI Setup list of speaker configurations? In Sonoma I only see 5.1.2 and 7.1.4 now.

On 1/14/2024 at 10:08 AM, mkt said:

Are you still seeing 5.1.4 in the Audio MIDI Setup list of speaker configurations? In Sonoma I only see 5.1.2 and 7.1.4 now.

Hi @mkt, for some reason macOS Ventura 13.5.1 removes the other options, and they haven't returned since. I know it's still possible to use the other configurations, but it depends on one software. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 5:53 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I noticed additional speaker configurations available in Audio MIDI in macOS Ventura. I think 7.1.4 is plenty, but it's nice to know one can go to 9.1.6 if s/he wishes. 

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.07.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 10.07.30 AM.png

Hey, how did you get your sound interface to offer so many options? I have a 5.1.4 setup with my Apollo x16, but it only allows me to select two Atmos formats:

image.png.d04ca1ca97fb181447402766fea3dffd.png

Thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 12:36 PM, 21davidkop said:

Hey, how did you get your sound interface to offer so many options? I have a 5.1.4 setup with my Apollo x16, but it only allows me to select two Atmos formats:

image.png.d04ca1ca97fb181447402766fea3dffd.png

Thanks,

David

Hi David, Apple made a change to remove the other options for some reason. We need to keep asking them why and to restore the feature. 

I believe there’s a way to create / edit the necessary file(s) manually to restore these speaker configurations, but I haven’t attempted it myself.