IGNORED

After 2 years or so of near daily use...

My Schiit Modi Multibit refused to power up. Additionally, the refurbished Marantz receiver I use in there also has had something happen to it overnight as it is outputting very quiet music and very loud static. I made the mistake of turning them off last night, something I should not have done. What's worse, when I unplugged all the cables from the Modi and picked it up, I heard something rattle inside.

No electron left behind.

Just now, DuckToller said:

My sincerest condolence, my friend. Try to take it as a chance, this will limit the pain.

I still have my main system, so I am not out of high quality music listening equipment, but this is a bummer as I rather liked the set up for music while working on other things.

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, DuckToller said:

Yes, but with two years of use you may already have entered the period of planned obsolescence, I am afraid to say.
Hopefully your main system will enjoy a much longer lifespan.

Schiit is no longer making the Modi Multibit, I don't know why though it is a wonderful device. But I see your point now, This is a chance to explore options, or have the two things fixed and given more life.

No electron left behind.

If under 2 years then exercise warranty:

2-Year Warranty and 15-Day Returns
Modi is covered by a limited warranty that covers parts and labor for two years. And, if you don’t like your Modi, you can still send it back for a refund, minus 15% restocking fee, within 15 days of receiving your DAC.

4 hours ago, Iving said:

If under 2 years then exercise warranty:

2-Year Warranty and 15-Day Returns
Modi is covered by a limited warranty that covers parts and labor for two years. And, if you don’t like your Modi, you can still send it back for a refund, minus 15% restocking fee, within 15 days of receiving your DAC.

unfortunately, it's a 6 months beyond the warranty period. Schiit has agreed to take it in for service and fix it.

No electron left behind.

On 10/31/2022 at 1:06 PM, AudioDoctor said:

That's what I am thinking, something clearly happened overnight that is not Schiit's fault.

I'm impressed that you resisted the temptation to use the expression "Schitt happens" here...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

4 hours ago, firedog said:

If it comes to it, the newer Modi 3E is a fine little DAC.  I don't think you'd be disappointed by it. 

Maybe, I tend to prefer Multibit DACs to Delta Sigma DACs though.

Has anyone here had a Schiit wall wart fail on them? They suggested I try one first, before sending the Modi back to them.

No electron left behind.

13 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Maybe, I tend to prefer Multibit DACs to Delta Sigma DACs though.

Has anyone here had a Schiit wall wart fail on them? They suggested I try one first, before sending the Modi back to them.

I have had a wallwart fail with the JDS Lab ATOM HP amp, a 16VAC power adapter. These fails are not uncommon.