IGNORED

Mac Mini Firewire Question

Now that I have been able to successfully load the Reference Recordings HRx files on the Mac Mini, I have been able to evaluate the Apogee Firewire Mini DAC. It has USB, optical, SPDIF, and Firewire input connections. As I have been told Firewire is the best connection to use going into a DAC equipped with that capability, I wanted to get opinions on if that is truly the case.

I have been able to change the sample rate in the Mac's Audio Midi on the fly using the latest iTunes update that was installed last week. When the sample rate is changed the sound stops, the Mac Mini scratches its' head, and then resumes the music without having to close iTunes. I can verify the sample rate output did indeed change by the front panel LEDs on the Apogee Mini DAC.

The question that comes to my mind is when listening to the Reference Recording HRx recordings, 176 is supposed to be the ideal sample rate to listen at. However, when I listen to the 44, 88, 96, 176, and 192 sample rates, I detect no differences at all.

Should I be listening using one of the other output configurations?

Even though I am able to change sample rate on the fly in the Mac, should I be closing iTunes when changing it anyway? It sure doesn't sound inferior at all from the previous rate when changing on the fly.

Does the sample rate even make a difference when using Firewire anyway?

Thanks to all.

John

Hi John - A few good questions.

"As I have been told Firewire is the best connection to use going into a DAC equipped with that capability, I wanted to get opinions on if that is truly the case."

There is no One Best Way to connect to a DAC. It all depends on each DAC's implementation of the interface.

"I have been able to change the sample rate in the Mac's Audio Midi on the fly using the latest iTunes update that was installed last week. When the sample rate is changed the sound stops, the Mac Mini scratches its' head, and then resumes the music without having to close iTunes. I can verify the sample rate output did indeed change by the front panel LEDs on the Apogee Mini DAC."

Audio Midi is changing but iTunes is still sending music out through the original sample rate that was in use when it was opened. So, your actually down or up sampling via Audio Midi. Not good :-|

"The question that comes to my mind is when listening to the Reference Recording HRx recordings, 176 is supposed to be the ideal sample rate to listen at. However, when I listen to the 44, 88, 96, 176, and 196 sample rates, I detect no differences at all."

Exactly. Because you need to close and reopen iTunes.

"Does the sample rate even make a difference when using Firewire anyway?"

Yes. FireWire is just an interface like USB and S/PDIF. The sample rate always matters.

Hope this helps :-)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Can iTunes output a higher sample rate than 96?

The Audio Midi settings on my iMac are capped at 96. Is this limited to the Midi device set as the output device?

For example if I had a DAC connected via USB or Firewire that would accept a 192 signal, would Audio Midi allow it to be output as such?

The only reason I am asking is that I am looking to future system upgrades that would allow HRx playback.

Thanks,

Jeff

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Hi Jeff - Yes iTunes can play higher sample rates without downsampling. For example, when I had the Weiss Minerva connected Audio Midi gave me the option of up to 24/192.

I currently play HRx albums with my Lynx AES16e card and the card outputs up to 24/192. So, I have the option in Audio Midi to select the higher resolutions.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks Chris.

Are you using iTunes as the player for the HRx files, or other software?

Jeff

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com