IGNORED

Article: Atmos Music and Some Current Favorites, Part 1

Chris, thank you for the shout out and the leading role in this journey!

I feel like rip-van-winkle, I have been sleeping through a sea change.  Since Apple announced their lossless streaming service and their Dolby ATMOS Spatial Audio, there has been a little tickle in the back of my brain.  Recently that tickle has turned into a full-on itch that has to be scratched.  Listening on the new AirPods Pro 2 and experimenting with a Sonos ARC sound bar system has re-enforced that feeling that this is REAL!.  

Many of us have two channel systems that have been crafted to our personal perfection or are rising to that goal.  Moving to an 11 channel system with speakers placed all around the room requires a different level of understanding and commitment.  Some think I should be committed....  Yet at its core this is a chance to learn, experiment and embrace a new way of enjoying music.

I will leave you with a short bit of homework.  If you have a TV surround system that has streaming access get a trial of the Berlin Philharmonic subscription.  They are broadcasting their concerts on the internet:  https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/immersive

Bob

After staggering my new 83” Sony OLED, I will be adding Atmos to my HT room. The room is small, 10x15. I have a 5.1 set up and just ordered 2 in ceiling speakers for Atmos for a 5.1.2 system. I will need a new processor so the install will have to wait until next year. The 4K Blu ray player does a great job of decoding Atmos mixes in movies sending them out via the MC analog outs. No height info but damn nice 5.1 presentations. Looking forward to adding Atmos ceiling speakers. 4K Blu rays are an amazing experience as are the live 4 k sports broadcasts I have been enjoying via you tube TV, like the Phillies playoff games on Fox, and the EPL.

so call me Mr. Obvious, but what we need is a database for all of this, does it exist ?

• Artist
  • Album
  • available formats (5.1, Auro3D, Atmos, etc)
  • where available (Apple, Tidal, Amazon, download, DVD, SACD, etc.)

I know you are focused on Atmos because that is where the vast majority of the activity is right now and will be going forward, but there is a lot of wonderful 5.1 stuff out there too

am I just dreaming? 

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

9 hours ago, bbosler said:

so call me Mr. Obvious, but what we need is a database for all of this, does it exist ?

• Artist
  • Album
  • available formats (5.1, Auro3D, Atmos, etc)
  • where available (Apple, Tidal, Amazon, download, DVD, SACD, etc.)

I know you are focused on Atmos because that is where the vast majority of the activity is right now and will be going forward, but there is a lot of wonderful 5.1 stuff out there too

am I just dreaming? 

QuadraphonicQuad is a great place to start.
We have databases of MC recordings known as "Surround Poll charts"
No charts for streaming, but plenty of inspiring Atmos streaming threads.

Also a good source for info on the different HW.
Several MC aficionados are both members here and there.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's absolutely gorgeous @ted_b. Thank you!

Agreed, @ted_b.  

Take the “time” to check out the opening cut, “Time,” by Swedish House Mafia on the Paradise Again album, and the opening cut, “The Time (Dirty Bit),” by the Black Eyed Peas on The Beginnings (Deluxe) album.  Lots happening on both.

Oh, and “Stressed Out” by Twenty One Pilots on the Blurryface album sounds great, too. JCR 

15 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Can you play that disc with a Blu-ray Player on the MAC?  

Probably could, but there’s no TrueHD decoder in the app. Thus, need to rip and play with Dolby Reference player. 

P.S. The Reference player was recently updated to enable full screen video playback. For people into movies, like @El Guapo, this is huge!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have a fairly large local collection of multichannel recordings (mostly classical), and I enjoy them so much.  The sense of realism is so much more pronounced, to the extent sometimes I filter my library on (everything but stereo) just to listen to multichannel.

I wish the streaming services (other than Apple, of course; i.e., Tidal, Qobuz, etc.) would get on the bandwagon and start streaming Atmos, as well, and / or that Roon would start supporting Apple Music (I know it's not Roon's choice whether they support it or not - kind of a joint effort for them) for that full experience without pushing through an AppleTV (which is really the only way I get Atmos content at the moment).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

P.S. The Reference player was recently updated to enable full screen video playback. For people into movies, like @El Guapo, this is huge!

Speaking of movies through the DRP, I’d like to play my Atmos edition of Top Gun Maverick through there. My 74 Gb version is in MKV which apparently is not supported by the DRP. @El Guapo, what software program would you recommend for (as close as possible) losslessly converting the MKV to a format recognized by the DRP?  Thanks. JCR 

18 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

I have a fairly large local collection of multichannel recordings (mostly classical), and I enjoy them so much.  The sense of realism is so much more pronounced, to the extent sometimes I filter my library on (everything but stereo) just to listen to multichannel.

I wish the streaming services (other than Apple, of course; i.e., Tidal, Qobuz, etc.) would get on the bandwagon and start streaming Atmos, as well, and / or that Roon would start supporting Apple Music (I know it's not Roon's choice whether they support it or not - kind of a joint effort for them) for that full experience without pushing through an AppleTV (which is really the only way I get Atmos content at the moment).

It’s a marathon, not a sprint :~)

I don’t see Roon ever supporting it. The company seems uninterested. 

A step forward will be an app like Audirvana being able to use the built-in Dolby Digital + decoder in macOS, just like Apple Music does, and stream Atmos from Tidal. 

Also, HiFi manufacturers need to perk up and realize technology is moving. They need to support more than 8 channels and use technologies like Ravenna to input up to 16 channels of DXD. The pro world is way ahead of HiFi today. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

Speaking of movies through the DRP, I’d like to play my Atmos edition of Top Gun Maverick through there. My 74 Gb version is in MKV which apparently is not supported by the DRP. @El Guapo, what software program would you recommend for (as close as possible) losslessly converting the MKV to a format recognized by the DRP?  Thanks. JCR 

I believe MakeMKV can backup the disc, unencrypted. Then you can use M2TS files in the DRP. I think. 

After streaming some Atmos music into my non-Atmos 7.1 system it has me thinking about future upgrade paths. In my current system I also stream ripped mch SACD from my NAS via Oppo 103d via HDMI to Integra 80.3 processor. It seems like the current generation of Atmos capable processors seem to dropping support for DSD decoding and/or 7.1 analog input. I do not see me going down the path as Chris did due to the complexity and my system needs to support 2 ch Hi-Res/ Atmos for music and Atmos for movies. Any insights into a way forward to support all these formats? Thanks