IGNORED

What is JPlay for iOS?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I recently started using JPlay for iOS.  I like it a lot.  I initially started using it to control my Chord Poly when playing music off the SD card at work.  Recently though I was able to get my Antipodes K50 into MPD/MinimServer mode.  JPlay offers a really nice way to engage with the music library from both my iPhone and iPad.  

I had been primarily using Squeeze/LMS along with the Material skin to browse my library.  This featured a link to get to new music - and that brought my most recent additions to the top of the list.  I'm guessing that sorting by Date Added will do the same thing.  I wish though that it was a sidebar option under My Library.  I have't poked around in the settings enough to see if this is something I can add myself.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I recently started using JPlay for iOS.  I like it a lot.  I initially started using it to control my Chord Poly when playing music off the SD card at work.  Recently though I was able to get my Antipodes K50 into MPD/MinimServer mode.  JPlay offers a really nice way to engage with the music library from both my iPhone and iPad.  

I had been primarily using Squeeze/LMS along with the Material skin to browse my library.  This featured a link to get to new music - and that brought my most recent additions to the top of the list.  I'm guessing that sorting by Date Added will do the same thing.  I wish though that it was a sidebar option under My Library.  I have't poked around in the settings enough to see if this is something I can add myself.  

I think there is a setting to make that the default library sort if you would like. 

edit: yes. Settings > Configuration > Browsing Preferences > Albums in my library > Date Added

IMG_0101.png

No electron left behind.

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I think there is a setting to make that the default library sort if you would like. 

edit: yes. Settings > Configuration > Browsing Preferences > Albums in my library > Date Added

Does that option actually work as expected for you?  Do your albums actually sort by date added?  Mine don't.  I suspect the problem is MinimServer as a few other control apps won't sort by date added either.

Ah, I see that I need to configure it to do that.  And to configure it, I must buy a license.  Worth giving it a try.  I'll report back.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

12 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Does that option actually work as expected for you?  Do your albums actually sort by date added?  Mine don't.  I suspect the problem is MinimServer as a few other control apps won't sort by date added either.

Ah, I see that I need to configure it to do that.  And to configure it, I must buy a license.  Worth giving it a try.  I'll report back.

I haven't tried Date Added, but the Albums sort does work for me, yes. If you scroll down the main page of JPLAY there is by default a spot for recent additions to your library and, in my case, Qobuz.

No electron left behind.

32 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I haven't tried Date Added, but the Albums sort does work for me, yes. If you scroll down the main page of JPLAY there is by default a spot for recent additions to your library and, in my case, Qobuz.

Thanks for confirming.

I believe I figured out my issue.  It appears MinimServer doesn’t look at the dates of the files when determining added date.  So if you replace an album and all the names are the same, it appears the added date isn’t advanced.  

My library on the K50 contains only music that I process with PGGB.  I occasionally reprocess albums when improvements are made to PGGB.  I relied on the recently added option in Squeeze to bring to the top those albums that were reprocessed.  It appears that MinimServer won’t allow me to do that.  I will reach out to the developer to see if I’m correct.

LMS takes a lot of heat for its library management capabilities.  Not always fair.

15 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Does that option actually work as expected for you?

It actually does

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

It appears MinimServer doesn’t look at the dates of the files when determining added date

It does if you use *RecentAdded in indexTag

To be clear it use the actual added date to the library, not to the file system.

JPlay , on the other hand, use the added date in its own db, as JPlay loads its own db when you synchronize the app with Minimserver.

Stefano

My audio system

28 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

It does if you use *RecentAdded in indexTag

To be clear it use the actual added date to the library, not to the file system.

What I’m seeing here is that replacing the same files with newer versions does not advance the added date.  I reprocessed half dozen albums yesterday.  When I sort by added date they don’t appear at the top in JPlay.  Only the album that has never been in my library appears at the top.  That suggests that the file’s date is ignored.  I hope I’m wrong as both Squeeze and Roon treat these files as recent additions.

Squeeze displays the right list of new music.  “With the Beatles” was added new for the first time today.  The rest of the albums were reprocessed so the previous files were replaced.  They are displayed in exactly the right order too.

image.thumb.jpeg.32b36483ef9d2bae4a5f729a8752b0a1.jpeg

Same library and yet this is what JPlay displays.  Not even close.

image.thumb.jpeg.0c6c23949a95d2cd4e3c765d3844223e.jpeg

Here is the MinimServer configuration.

image.thumb.jpeg.48d7ca7760fc68e6ef41b07f8cd63c2d.jpeg

(deleting accidental post)

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

What I’m seeing here is that replacing the same files with newer versions does not advance the added date.  I reprocessed half dozen albums yesterday.  When I sort by added date they don’t appear at the top in JPlay.  Only the album that has never been in my library appears at the top.  That suggests that the file’s date is ignored.  I hope I’m wrong as both Squeeze and Roon treat these files as recent additions.

Squeeze displays the right list of new music.  “With the Beatles” was added new for the first time today.  The rest of the albums were reprocessed so the previous files were replaced.  They are displayed in exactly the right order too.

image.thumb.jpeg.32b36483ef9d2bae4a5f729a8752b0a1.jpeg

Same library and yet this is what JPlay displays.  Not even close.

image.thumb.jpeg.0c6c23949a95d2cd4e3c765d3844223e.jpeg

Here is the MinimServer configuration.

image.thumb.jpeg.48d7ca7760fc68e6ef41b07f8cd63c2d.jpeg

Try a rescan of minimserver and then rescan minimserver in JPLAY. Otherwise, you may need to get creative in minimserver tagging and I am not positive that will work in JPLAY. Stefano is right, JPLAY doesnt reload Minimserver data unless you tell it to. So a rescan from within JPLAY is probably what you need to do.

No electron left behind.

11 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Try a rescan of minimserver and then rescan minimserver in JPLAY. Otherwise, you may need to get creative in minimserver tagging and I am not positive that will work in JPLAY. Stefano is right, JPLAY doesnt reload Minimserver data unless you tell it to. So a rescan from within JPLAY is probably what you need to do.

Thanks but I know this and have done it numerous times.  It’s exactly how “With the Beatles” is showing in the JPlay screenshot above.  Everything you see in the Squeeze screenshot above was added sequentially in the order shown. 

Repeated rescans of both MinimServer and JPlay didn’t show the re-additions.  I added “With the Beatles” as something new just so I can defend my assertion that MinimServer is ignoring file dates of files that had previously been discovered.  

According to this MinimServer page “When doing a library scan, MinimServer uses the absolute file path of each audio file or playlist file to determine whether the file has been added or changed since the last scan.”  No mention of the file’s date being considered, which is why I mentioned back in a post above that I believe MinimServer is the issue here.

If you are using MinimServer, why not try it yourself?  Take an album in your library and make a change that updates the files - like changing the artwork.  Then remove the old version and then replace them with the update files.  Does the updated album show at the top of the list of albums when sorted by add date?

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

If you are using MinimServer, why not try it yourself?  Take an album in your library and make a change that updates the files - like changing the artwork.  Then remove the old version and then replace them with the update files.  Does the updated album show at the top of the list of albums when sorted by add date?

I do exactly this when I find an album that needs the metadata fixed. After fixing it, and a rescan of minimserver that album then shows in my "Recently Added" section of JPLAY. Also like I said, I sort my library by artist.

IMG_0103.thumb.png.1666897d15cf254030a1fbd0ae0498c8.png

No electron left behind.

44 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I do exactly this when I find an album that needs the metadata fixed. After fixing it, and a rescan of minimserver that album then shows in my "Recently Added" section of JPLAY. 

Thank you very much for confirming.  I will see if I can figure out what’s amiss with my configuration.

6 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

What I’m seeing here is that replacing the same files with newer versions does not advance the added date

As I said before if you added an album last week, even if you modify something the added date (to the app db) is still the one of the first time you added it. The added date is strictly added date, changes are not considered. If you change the album name then there will be a new added date.

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

JPlay didn’t show the re-additions.

For JPlay it’s not a “re-addition” but only a change, therefore the added date is still the one when you added it the first time

In JPlay there are two views: one is from the internal own db and the other is directly from Minimserver through UPNP queries (the “by folder” one), this is why you’re seeing something different.

AFAIK Lumïn app is the only one app that loading its own db read the file system too being thus able to consider the added/change date

Stefano

My audio system

@kennyb123  you can see here how different look different views/apps:

this is from Lumïn 

image.thumb.jpeg.3b63662b8802b7fae90c76974090c8ad.jpeg

where red arrows show modified album (added few months ago) in Lumïn app Recent Added/Modified view (in its own db)

This is from JPlay, Recent Added view (from its own db)

image.thumb.png.299ba96ae8738916cf908481faf3d547.png
as you can see modified albums are missing.

and this is from JPlay “by folder” view showing Minimserver Recent Added albums (the one performed through UPnP queries directly to Minimserver library)

image.thumb.png.a6b32c580aff3fa226c3ab845e054eba.png
here the modified albums are missing too

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

For JPlay it’s not a “re-addition” but only a change, therefore the added date is still the one when you added it the first time

I haven’t read your entire post as I am just heading to bed.  I want to thank you though for your messages.  I launched the Lumin app and my albums were sorted correctly when I clicked button you highlighted.  Fanfrickentastic.  And now I also see them sorted in what might be the correct way in JPlay when I go to folder view as you mentioned.  Well mostly.  This is better though.