IGNORED

Inside the ‘Billy Joel: Live at Yankee Stadium’ Atmos Mix

Interesting article on the latest release of Billy Joel’s Yankee Stadium performance from 1990. 

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/music-production/inside-the-billy-joel-live-at-yankee-stadium-atmos-mix

“The goal we had from the beginning was to put the audience right there in the center of the crowd,” Davis continues. “At the same time, we didn’t want to overwhelm the audience or distract them. You can definitely feel the crowd—hell, it’s Yankee Stadium—but the band is so good that we wanted the music front and center. That’s the beauty of the format: you get to bring the audience right into the heart of the performance.”

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The Blu-ray must be 4K, right?

“Shot live on 16mm color film on June 22 and 23, 1990, at the iconic Bronx stadium, the original concert has been re-edited in stunning 4K with Dolby ATMOS® audio^ and newly mixed from the original multi-track tapes by Jay Vicari and overseen by Billy’s long time sound engineer Brian Ruggle.“

https://billyjoel.shop.musictoday.com/product/Y4CDBJ13/billy-joel-live-at-yankee-stadium-2cd-blu-ray?cp=81068_81096_111983

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Not necessarily. The 4K version for theaters can be downrezed to 1080p for inclusion on a regular Blu ray disc. One can only see half of the BD disc. I do not see an Ultra HD marking on that side but it could be on the covered side. I would have expected the press release to state Ultra HD if a 4K version was present. 

8 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Not necessarily. The 4K version for theaters can be downrezed to 1080p for inclusion on a regular Blu ray disc. One can only see half of the BD disc. I do not see an Ultra HD marking on that side but it could be on the covered side. I would have expected the press release to state Ultra HD if a 4K version was present. 

I hear ya. At least the Blu-ray has Atmos :~)

Ok, I went to the show earlier this evening to the ICON Dolby Atmos theater in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. Poorly attended, particularly with a start time only 15 minutes after the end of Yom Kippur. 

Having seen Billy in concert 126 times in the past, I can say that this is a fired up show, with Billy still in his vocal prime to hit the high notes and with Christie hanging backstage.  This is a 90 minute video, with some Billy narration breaks, and is not the full show. 

The 16mm video transfer to 4K is nice. It has an analog, grainy feel to it.  This said, I’m not sure on a smaller screen if it will appear that much better than the DVD or the VHS tape before it. 

I sat 4th row center. Sonically, it is an overall improvement. Billy’s voice is tightly centered and sounds excellent. There is decent bass presence to the soundtrack. However, it seems to be mixed more like a movie, with compressed high end, rather than like an audiophile Dolby Atmos audio release, such as from 2L. Liberty is drumming the heck out of the set, and yet, I could rarely hear any cymbals. It sounded best on quieter passages. 

As noted in the release notes, the Atmos mix gives the sense of being in the crowd when audience applause is mixed in. Occasionally, there are instruments that emanate from the side channels, but not much of it. 

I would expect that the soundtrack will sound quite similar in either 5.1.2 or 7.1.4, when released for home Blu-ray in November. I have my pre-order in already. Cheers. JCR 

1 hour ago, jrobbins50 said:

I see that Apple Spacial has added Billy Joel’s The Nylon Curtain album. That’s an album that did not get the discrete 5.1 or 4.0 quad treatment in the past. I’m out of town and haven’t heard it yet. Anyone have a comment on how the Atmos mix sounds?  JCR 

There's some interesting discrete content in the surround channels, but absolutely nothing in the height channels. 

• 4 weeks later...