IGNORED

steamer giving a hum sounds

Hi folks,

I have a Willsenton R8 tube amp.  I am connecting it to a Rose RS150 steamer.  When I start the tube amp only, there is no hum sound.  Once I turn on the streamer, I can hear the hum sound from the speakers.  Will a DC blocker help in this situation? Any inputs will help, thanks!

Sounds like a grounding issue with the streamer.  When you lightly drag your finger across the top plate/chassis of the streamer, do you feel a light vibration, like a low dose electric shock?

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

It probably is a ground loop.  Since this is a streamer, is it connected to your Ethernet via cable or Wi-Fi?

If it is cable, then you Ethernet/cable service is possibly not grounded to code.  This is a frequent occurrence.  A sound grounding plan is essential in AV systems.  If the streamer is connected by cable. then disconnect the Ethernet cable.  If the hum stops then the grounding of your Ethernet system is the source of the problem.

Lastly a DC blocker will not help.  Most of the time hum is due to grounding issues.  Correcting that is the only solution.

Just for the record a ground loop occurs because of a difference in potential between grounds.