IGNORED

Roon Arc and Mobile

I suppose we need a thread about this one. 

I've had it for a couple weeks and haven't used it much to be honest. I'm happy Roon finally has mobile, but I use the offline capability of the Qobuz app all the time, and Roon Arc can't offline music from streaming services. 

I also use CarPlay every day, and Arc doesn't have that yet. 

Other than that, it's a great way to stream one's local content that isn't available on streaming services and is free with the Roon subscription. I can't complain about free. I've used VOX over the years, but that's $5 per month. 

One issue I don't like is the encouragement by Roon to enable UPnP on people's routers to make Arc work. This is a huge security issue waiting to happen. I manually forwarded a port to my Roon server for Arc to find it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I do not use port forwarding or UPnP because of the major security issues. I mean even the DoJ says NOT to use uPnP, since it allows hackers to gain access to your network.

What is UPnP? Yes, It's Still Dangerous in 2022 | UpGuard

DeadBolt Ransomware - Security Advisory | QNAP - this is recent....

The basic design of UPnP is at fault in this.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Can't get ARC to connect to my Core, even though Roon says all is ready.

Hoping Roon support will figure something out. They seem to have someone working on it.

Mobile Roon would really be a useful thing for me. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Careful with port forwarding - hackers like to scan for open ports and see them open.

Is It Safe to Forward a Port? (portforward.com)

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

If I travel, I take my music on a USB 3.0 HD. I don't want anyone to even have any possible chance of access. My wife works from home as do I (50% of the time 50% travel), so security for me is paramount.

I am happy people are enjoying.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

58 minutes ago, botrytis said:

If I travel, I take my music on a USB 3.0 HD. I don't want anyone to even have any possible chance of access. My wife works from home as do I (50% of the time 50% travel), so security for me is paramount.

Roon Arc support download 😀

So now we’re need more storage on our iPhones.

Also;

To automatically configure your network for remote access, Roon uses either UPnP or NAT-PMP. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_Port_Mapping_Protocol

47 minutes ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Of course. But manual port forwarding on one port to one host is not a huge risk. Plus, there is nothing on my Roon Mac mini that cannot be replaced easily. I have backups of everything. I could wipe it clean and have it up and running in an hour.

I mean for outside use. Inside it is not a big deal. Just me maybe. I brought home a virus, it was actually an assignment from one of the Professors his computer had the virus, when in Grad School, so WAY more careful now

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590