IGNORED

A good budget headphone and setup for gaming

klasvaakie1984

Question

After scouring youtube, I keep seeing suggestions for various high end audiophile headsets for "pro gamers". I am no pro gamer, so my needs are different. I spend a lot of time in VR so immersion is my thing. 

My biggest issue is that I work in tourism and live in a third world country...so unfortunately price is a bit of a stickler for me. I am looking for advise on a decent setup that will give me good immersion while not completely destroying my entire life savings (that which is left from the end of the world).

When I was much younger I listened through a good headphone and I could actually "feel" the sound. I dont know how else to explain. I would love to be able to have that feeling while gaming. Can anyone make a suggestion for the kit I would need?

I appreciate your time.

8 answers to this question

Buy an Audeze Mobius. Its tuned for gaming but doesn't give up anything for music playback. Not cheap at $400 but you wont need to move on

https://headphones.com/products/audeze-mobius?currency=USD&variant=32444908339271&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping

"Feel" is more a function of amplifier, needs some guts/current in a headphone amp for that.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 9/5/2022 at 10:55 AM, klasvaakie1984 said:

After scouring youtube, I keep seeing suggestions for various high end audiophile headsets for "pro gamers". I am no pro gamer, so my needs are different. I spend a lot of time in VR so immersion is my thing. 

My biggest issue is that I work in tourism and live in a third world country...so unfortunately price is a bit of a stickler for me. I am looking for advise on a decent setup that will give me good immersion while not completely destroying my entire life savings (that which is left from the end of the world).

When I was much younger I listened through a good headphone and I could actually "feel" the sound. I dont know how else to explain. I would love to be able to have that feeling while gaming. Can anyone make a suggestion for the kit I would need?

I appreciate your time.

I went with Logitech G Pro (wired) for my gaming setup.  Wireless could cause latency issues or stutter with some games, most people recommend wired for that reason.  There may be more recent options for wireless, but you would be better off asking on some of the gaming sites.

It's interesting, in that my wife asked why I had bought headphones when we already had a pair of Sennheiser 650's (hers) and a pair of Grado RS1e's (mine).  My answer was there is a huge world of difference between the sound quality from your average gaming PC and any sort of decent stereo system.  Meaning, there's no point in having a pair of high-end headphones to hear something that just isn't there.  

There isn't a lot of overlap between the gaming and audiophile worlds when it comes to headphones.  You should be able to buy gaming headphones that are comfortable for a long session for well under a couple of hundred dollars.  The G Pros I bought were $120 CAD.

I use a Hyper-X headset. The reason I am doing this is the wire to the headset, the microphone, and the extension can all be replaced (they all have plugs). They also sound pretty decent too.

What I am using

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects