IGNORED

How to add Wi-Fi to mRendu

semente

Question

Hi,

Is there a Wi-Fi network gizmo that I can plug into a microRendu?

I have moved and can no longer use an Ethernet wire to connect it to the switch.

Cheers,

Ricardo

Edit: I have an entry-level Tenda mesh but it’s rubbish and makes an annoying high-pitch noise

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

23 answers to this question

Perfect timing for me as I was just researching options. 

I just read your article and purchased 2 of the TP Link RE650's on Amazon.  They are 40% off ($90.00), which is a nice bonus as I needed two units.

Thanks Chris!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Yeah, it is still on the TP Link website:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re650/

I guess the RE650 was one of those rare products that is just perfection..  incapable of being improved 😄

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

17 hours ago, semente said:

Is there a Wi-Fi network

The above suggestions is nice, and will work. You may considder something that support Wi-Fi 6 standard. (If you can afford, look towards WiFi 6E). 

In addition I would add a switch (EtherRegen preferably) between the wireless device and the microRendu. 

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3258807/what-is-wi-fi-6-80211ax-and-why-do-we-need-it.html

Here are some WIFi 6 from TP link. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/?filterby=5730

Setting aside cost, would it be worthwhile to get the TP Link RE605X extender over the RE650?  I can just return the RE650 I purchased.

My Xfinity xFi is 6E (combined modem + router in one chassis).

However, I don't see any Wi-Fi 6E range extenders from TP Link, just Wi-Fi 6 (RE605X).

33 minutes ago, Blake said:

Setting aside cost, would it be worthwhile to get the TP Link RE605X extender over the RE650?  

You can’t expect a yes/no answer to this. Is a Porsche better than xxx ? 

Technically, there isn’t any doubt. However do you (personally) really benefit from it ? Only you know the answer depending on how heavily you’re loading your network, and not to mention how many neighbors you have. You all “fight” about the same WiFi channels available. 

You won’t get better SQ. That I’m pretty sure about. But I guess that’s not what you’re asking. 

Also, how many WiFi 6 capable devices do you actually have ? 

A Porsche is always better than xxx, except for off-roading, then its a modified Jeep Wrangler.

I just don't see any Wi-Fi 6E range extenders, just Wi-Fi 6, so I'll just return RE650 and get the RE605X.

I didn't think I'd get different sound quality, just looking for less likelihood of dropouts, and speed reliability.

4 minutes ago, Blake said:

A Porsche is always better than xxx, except for off-roading, then its a modified Jeep Wrangler.

I just don't see any Wi-Fi 6E range extenders, just Wi-Fi 6, so I'll just return RE650 and get the RE605X.

I didn't think I'd get different sound quality, just looking for less likelihood of dropouts, and speed reliability.

I have upgraded to Wifi 6 and in my research I found it suggested that a single device not wifi 6 capable will slow the entire wireless network down. That said, if you're streaming music the increased bandwidth of WiFi 6 will not hurt.

No electron left behind.

4 hours ago, Blake said:

That is good to know.  So when moving to Wifi 6, make sure everything else in the ecosystem is also Wifi 6.

yeah, if possible. It depends on how your network is set up and if you have any IOT devices on it as well as which frequency they use. I think the 2.4ghz devices don't impact the wifi 6 because that isn't used by WiFi 6. It's the 5ghz devices that aren't WiFi 6 that will slow down the WiFi 6 network.

I may be wrong, but that was my understanding of it.

No electron left behind.

13 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

yeah, if possible. It depends on how your network is set up and if you have any IOT devices on it as well as which frequency they use. I think the 2.4ghz devices don't impact the wifi 6 because that isn't used by WiFi 6. It's the 5ghz devices that aren't WiFi 6 that will slow down the WiFi 6 network.

I may be wrong, but that was my understanding of it.

Not true. Both frequencies are used for Wi-Fi 6 as my home router is Wi-Fi 6.0 and both are used.  5.0 has a shorter range compared to 2.4.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

The downside of a plug-in extender like the RE650 is that the power supply can't be easily upgraded.

For highest fidelity, an extender is connected to the audio system via LAN cable should have the wi-fi broadcast turned off.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

The wi-fi broadcast radio adds digital noise. Turning it off lowers the amount of noise in the system, regardless of whether you add a switch or not. 

I use an etherregen. It's great,  but not perfect. It still benefits from noise control upstream.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

5 hours ago, botrytis said:

Not true. Both frequencies are used for Wi-Fi 6 as my home router is Wi-Fi 6.0 and both are used.  5.0 has a shorter range compared to 2.4.

Interesting. In that case I have devices that are not wifi 6 on my wireless network.

In my system I can turn off the 2.4ghz radios and use only the 5ghz, or vice versa. I can also set them to be separate WiFi networks, which is what I did. If WiFi 6 uses both, what is the point of that?

No electron left behind.

I will be plugging an ethernet cable to the TP Link RE 605X, as follows:

TP Link > cable > SoTM 10-G > EtherRegen > Lumin U2 Mini.

30 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Interesting. In that case I have devices that are not wifi 6 on my wireless network.

In my system I can turn off the 2.4ghz radios and use only the 5ghz, or vice versa. I can also set them to be separate WiFi networks, which is what I did. If WiFi 6 uses both, what is the point of that?

Exactly - my phone, my android pad are all WiFi 6

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Exactly - my phone, my android pad are all WiFi 6

Edit:  Nevermind, I see the reason to separate out the bands now is to put the non wifi 6 devices on one and leave the other for the wifi 6 devices. Also, I re-read my research, I was wrong, its 6E that uses its own band (6Ghz)

No electron left behind.

On 8/27/2022 at 3:12 PM, audiobomber said:

The downside of a plug-in extender like the RE650 is that the power supply can't be easily upgraded.

For highest fidelity, an extender is connected to the audio system via LAN cable should have the wi-fi broadcast turned off.

I can add a switch between the Wi-Fi receiver and the microRendu

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

17 hours ago, semente said:

I can add a switch between the Wi-Fi receiver and the microRendu

IME, a good switch can help, but a bad one can harm sound quality. Even a good switch is not a panacea. As I said above. network improvements matter, whether one uses a switch or not.