IGNORED

Parasound Xphono XRM phono preamp vs JC3 Jr.

I have heard conflicting opinion about phono pre's. Some say you will hear very little difference once you get to a decent phono pre level. That the reviewers are just to push sales. Others say you will hear a difference between the phono pre's.

I have a NAD 658 pre that goes to my McIntosh MC152. A Dual CS 5000 turntable with a Grado mm cartridge. The volume on the NAD for the phono pre is about 10 db softer than my other sources. Some have said if you just have a mm cartridge, the XRM will be just fine to upgrade your sound. It will provide more gain output and in addition will provide an improvement sound stage and detail. This people say the JC3 Jr is more beneficial if you have a higher end turntable and MC cartridge. Others have said the higher end amp in the JC3 Jr will provide much improved separation even with a mm cartridge. I have called Parasound as I wanted to get some clarification. However my phone message has yet to be returned. I called again but it just went into voicemail. Perhaps he is on vacation this week?

So I started an experiment. I ordered the XRM phono pre which the folks at Parasound said in a video on line that it has better components than their base model with an improved sound. I will be comparing it against the NAD. At the same volume, I would like to find out if it will provide an improved listening experience. I will report back with my findings.

My question to experience audiophile folks here is have you ever compared a JC3 Jr to less costly phono pre's? What difference if any have you found? Would I hear a difference with the JC3 Jr over the XRM in my setup?

Many of you are aware of the RIAA equalization. For those that are not, it is a form of pre-emphasis on recording and de-emphasis on playback. A recording is made with the low frequencies reduced and the high frequencies boosted, and on playback, the opposite occurs. The net result is a flat frequency response, but with attenuation of high-frequency noise such as hiss and clicks that arise from the recording medium. Reducing the low frequencies also limits the excursions the cutter needs to make when cutting a groove.

Here is a good article that explains some benefits of a better phono preamp. The question is how much better is the Jr to the XRM?

What's the Difference Between a Cheap and an Expensive Phono Preamp? (gearpatrol.com)

I spoke to Parsound which was a lot more helpful than a sales person at a audio store. Based on my turntable and MM Cartridge which is just a couple hundred dollars, they recommended I stay with the XRM phono preamp which will provide an improvement over the NAD I have. The JC3 Jr will be more helpful if I had a better turntable with a higher end MC cartridge that can pickup more detail. That is when the JC3 Jr will make an improvement.