IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

44 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d spend $100 on the same MoFi package if it contained a USB stick of the DSD256 album, rather than the plastic disc.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Count me out of the group of people who sue companies, not based on harm, but based on marketing claims that weren’t 100% literal truth. 

So if you spent $100 for a USB advertised as containing a DSD master material but in reality with an upsampled CD rip of an album instead (you call such situation 'marketing claim' but for me it's simply a company's lie and selling something different from an advertised product), you'd be ok with that (?)

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Printing a digital file onto a piece of plastic and dragging a needle over it, absolutely can’t increase accuracy. 

Well said, I guess that dragging a needle a thousand times over a given LP also can't increase its accuracy, I've even heard it sometimes decreases it.. 😉

14 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

So if you spent $100 for a USB advertised as containing a DSD master material but in reality with an upsampled CD rip of an album instead (you call such situation 'marketing claim' but for me it's simply a company's lie and selling something different from an advertised product), you'd be ok with that (?)

This happens all the time, however it isn’t as cut and dry as your example. we don’t need analogies here, we have the exact thing that happened. 

Look at some of the releases on NativeDSD.com. DSD1024 created from a DSD256 or DXD master. No deception involved in marketing though. 

MoFi actually improved the product through a digital process. Everyone said the product was improved. 

I think the real issue is that it strikes at the heart of the analog community. I’m not saying this in any negative way. This community has believed for years that AAA is the best way. Now it must question what it once believed. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I posted this elsewhere but thought it appropriate to post it here as well. My view on the viability of a class action lawsuit against MoFi.

I will have to read the complaint, but as a retired trial lawyer who worked cases in federal court and one in the Supreme Court, there are many issues here. The biggest is class certification because without it, I do not see these two lead plaintiffs meeting the $75,000 threshold for diversity, even considering the possibility of punitive damages. With the claims based on state law, I could see a federal judge interpreting things narrowly and kicking the case out To be dealt with at the state court level. I have known a couple federal judges who would be loathe to have this type of case in the federal system, with state court remedies available. Without class certification, I just do not see this case staying in federal court. Then you have the issue of fraud and damages. Now consumer protection laws are not my area of expertise, but is the undisclosed digital step amount to legal fraud? You are still buying a record in all likelihood a great sounding one. If it can be proven that the DSD transfer is transparent to the master, what is the injury? For people who buy these one steps in part as an investment vs. actual use, that may be a bit too speculative for the court to consider. I am not even sure that the purposes of these laws is to protect that interest. Finally, my experience with class action lawsuits is that the only winners are the lawyers, on both sides. The actual plaintiffs get very little. Given all these considerations, would audiophiles like to see MoFi and Music Direct driven out of business so that a few lawyers get to make a killing? For these reasons, I do not really see this case going anywhere. But, I could be wrong.

In a way, MoFi was doing what CNN and Fox News do. Catering to its audience, even if the company knows better. If MoFi said it used digital, the audience would’ve rejected it, even though the end result was better. MoFi told the audience what it wanted to hear, and delivered an outstanding product. I guess it was the best of both worlds while the audience was only listening to the albums. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

As for the Pearl Jam recordings, there are some engineers who like to take the master digital, play it to tape and then redigitize the tape. Sound Liaison has done this but they do tell you up front. An artistic decision that as fine with. The recordings do sound mightily fine.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In a way, MoFi was doing what CNN and Fox News do. Catering to its audience, even if the company knows better. If MoFi said it used digital, the audience would’ve rejected it, even though the end result was better. MoFi told the audience what it wanted to hear, and delivered an outstanding product. I guess it was the best of both worlds while the audience was only listening to the albums. 

The audience won't now because it impunes their religious beliefs, that analog is superior to digital. To me, it depends.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

21 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

I posted this elsewhere but thought it appropriate to post it here as well. My view on the viability of a class action lawsuit against MoFi.

I will have to read the complaint, but as a retired trial lawyer who worked cases in federal court and one in the Supreme Court, there are many issues here. The biggest is class certification because without it, I do not see these two lead plaintiffs meeting the $75,000 threshold for diversity, even considering the possibility of punitive damages. With the claims based on state law, I could see a federal judge interpreting things narrowly and kicking the case out To be dealt with at the state court level. I have known a couple federal judges who would be loathe to have this type of case in the federal system, with state court remedies available. Without class certification, I just do not see this case staying in federal court. Then you have the issue of fraud and damages. Now consumer protection laws are not my area of expertise, but is the undisclosed digital step amount to legal fraud? You are still buying a record in all likelihood a great sounding one. If it can be proven that the DSD transfer is transparent to the master, what is the injury? For people who buy these one steps in part as an investment vs. actual use, that may be a bit too speculative for the court to consider. I am not even sure that the purposes of these laws is to protect that interest. Finally, my experience with class action lawsuits is that the only winners are the lawyers, on both sides. The actual plaintiffs get very little. Given all these considerations, would audiophiles like to see MoFi and Music Direct driven out of business so that a few lawyers get to make a killing? For these reasons, I do not really see this case going anywhere. But, I could be wrong.

Thanks, counselor.  Another question for Judge Joe--if a mint MoFi album sells for more on Discogs today than customers paid when the album was released, were customers harmed?

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This happens all the time, however it isn’t as cut and dry as your example. 

Sure but it doesn't mean that it should. It does happen because no-one sues companies for such practices. 

Like I said, if a product label says "ham", there should be ham inside, not tuna, if it says "real leather" All You Need to Know About "Genuine Leather" | Dalgado the shoes should be made of it not of plastic, otherwise there is an obvious reason for suing the producer. Why should music be a 'worse' product than ham or a pair of shoes.?

I'm personally very glad those guys have sued MoFi, maybe not only MoFi but also others will think twice before they do similar thing in the future.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think the real issue is that it strikes at the heart of the analog community. I’m not saying this in any negative way. This community has believed for years that AAA is the best way. Now it must question what it once believed. 

Agree. This must have hurt 😎

20 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Sure but it doesn't mean that it should. It does happen because no-one sues companies for such practices. 

Like I said, if a product label says "ham", there should be ham inside, not tuna, if it says "real leather" All You Need to Know About "Genuine Leather" | Dalgado the shoes should be made of it not of plastic, otherwise there is an obvious reason for suing the producer. Why should music be a 'worse' product than ham or a pair of shoes.?

I'm personally very glad those guys have sued MoFi, maybe not only MoFi but also others will think twice before they do similar thing in the future.

Agree. This must have hurt 😎

Honest question, did MoFi explicitly say no digital was used in the process?

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Honest question, did MoFi explicitly say no digital was used in the process?

AFAIK they claimed the source of the mentioned LPs were original master tapes.

(I linked to The Washington Post article earlier).

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The ultimate source has to be the master tape, as that’s what all subsequent tapes or records or digital comes from 🙂

Why do I know your replies before you reply.? 😂

But you are wrong..

the ultimate source is..

Big Bang.

😎