IGNORED

RCA output fell apart BOSS2 streamer

I was able to pop the blue aluminum case off, but of course it was the lower of the two RCA outlets that broke! The center got pushed in - I'm pretty sure I got this little blue streamer 9/2021, no idea about warranties. But if I'm gonna keep trying to fix this, there's a really good chance I'll break something else! Any ideas?

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss2-player.html

Is this a return/fix thing? or an "I'm on my own" thing? thanks!

IMG_9280.JPG

IMG_9284.JPG

That’s not a good look, but a relatively easy fix.
First take lots of photos of the connectors to guide you on reassembly.
Remove the nuts of both connectors, and gently slide them out.
Unsolder the bad one and replace it.
There is plenty of slack in the cables so you can do the soldering outside the box, and not drop any solder on the circuit board.
If in doubt get a skilled friend to help.
Good listening.

I am capable of this repair for sure; but of course I'll have to monkey with it for a while to get to the parts. The screen, for instance, seems to be glued onto the inside of the bezel, which is covering up a screw that fastens the internal HAT board down! Good times. Have you @reprap done one of these before? I'd like to make sure I'm not missing anything before I needlessly rip into the streamer.

thanks for the reply!

IMG_9325.JPG

IMG_9326.JPG

I really like Allo's stuff. Seems to me that they paid great attention to their DAC and really hit it out of the park for quality and value. Both this BOSS 2 and the BOSS. I've had both of them, and their little AMP+.

At the moment, I'm on a Allo Digione Signature Plus into a Denafrips Ares II. I don't think I could pick it out in a blind test; but I haven't done one. I should.

Got the jack replaced, and now it's misbehaving even more; dang it. I need this little guy working! Is mailing it back to Allo for repair out of the question? The static-y music coming out of one side, I think I have some wires touching somewhere, or grounded incorrectly or something awful like that. I'll follow up on this again in a few weeks after I get back from work. Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I'll just pick up another one for the interim.

• 2 months later...

Same thing happened to me. I opened the box but couldn't access the RCA port underneath the board. Removing the board screws didn't help.

Any tips on removing the buggy RCA output without messing with the board? Can I remove them from the outside? Really?
Someone here mentioned running a tail out the back of the RCA connections. Could someone give this noob a little more detail on how that works?
I'm a bit out of my depth here.
Thanks in advance.

IMG-5613(2).thumb.jpg.0c77c422f75d327327ee096aa47c82bf.jpg

@JamesPRyan check out that pic I posted above, the one where I circled a little screw in red. As I recall, yes: you have to pull more hardware out of the thing. Best to just go and order some new chassis mount RCA jacks amazon $8. Then, if you get in there and the jack is busted, you have the part to fix it.

so you gotta unscrew a few of those brass riser, and pop the screen off the chassis. I think it was just tape/glued down. So go slow, pry slowly, use some heat if ya need. Take pictures. Once you have access to the last board screw, you can pull the board open and remove that bunk RCA jack. If you can fix it, great: remember you don't want it to fail again in the same manner.

Jeeeeesus the "rca soldering" youtube videos are total dogshit. When/if you do it, you need to heat up that brass, and it'll take a lot of heat. You need the solder to "flow." If you haven't seen it before, maybe buy four RCA plugs and heat the shit out of one of them until the plastic melts and the whole thing is hot as hell, it will DEFINITLEY flow. You'll see it, and that's what you're going for for the solder joint. Just the flow: yes, RCA destruction: no.

Dry fit everything first. If you choose to do heat-shrink, that goes on first. One of these "third hands" are also real helpful $8 amazon.

In reviewing the pics, the J18 jumper, I think that has something to do with the board needing two power inputs a "clean" and "dirty" for the DAC and the RaspberryPi.

The other pics are visually inspecting the RCA Left and Right connections. I probably checked for continuity too just in case.

Good luck!

IMG_9355.JPG

IMG_9356.JPG

IMG_9357.JPG

IMG_9358.JPG

@mrdrew Thanks so much!
I'm still not sure how I managed to get the board out, but somehow I did, and found that even though all the connections of wires to boards were OK, the left channel wire (brown wire) was not firmly connected to the jack

dac-teardown-RCA.thumb.jpg.b7e675d50bb0e7f4edbe4f0f54ffffd0.jpg

The heat shrink also came right off. And you can see from the detail that there is a glob of solder on the rca plug connection.

DAC-RCA-jack.thumb.jpg.bf869a025a5eb8ee91a1d7834995bb10.jpg

My next steps are:

1. de-solder that jack,
  2. strip off a bit of the brown wire casing
  3. thread a new piece of heat shrink over the slack part of the brown wire
  4. replace the ground wire ring on the jack
  5. Solder the stripped end of brown wire into the jack
  6. See if I can power the unit on and test outputs before putting everything back together
  7. Try and re-assemble if it does work.

Am I missing anything or contemplating any wrong moves here?
    Thanks!

That looks about right. Get that RCA jack all assembled so it looks the same as the other side before you solder that brown wire on. Remember you’re heating up the brass on the Jack until that solder puddles, then put the brown, pre-tinned wire, into the puddle. Once that connection is made, you don’t want to have forgotten something!

my issue and your issue of the poor ORM solder comes back to Quality Control issues at Allo. 😞 

• 4 weeks later...