Jump to content
IGNORED

Article: Announcing Josh Mound's Club TBVO


Recommended Posts

Please suggest a contribution amount, or perhaps a couple of monthly contribution levels. I have greatly enjoyed your TBDVO columns and would like to support your writing through the club, but I have no idea of what is reasonable. Thank you!

Link to comment
3 hours ago, stereomatters said:

Please suggest a contribution amount, or perhaps a couple of monthly contribution levels. I have greatly enjoyed your TBDVO columns and would like to support your writing through the club, but I have no idea of what is reasonable. Thank you!

What’s reasonable is up to each person. There’s no right or wrong or correct amount. Consider what his work is worth to you and support his efforts with that amount. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

My Audio Systems | Audiophile Style Mastodon

Link to comment
9 hours ago, stereomatters said:

Please suggest a contribution amount, or perhaps a couple of monthly contribution levels. I have greatly enjoyed your TBDVO columns and would like to support your writing through the club, but I have no idea of what is reasonable. Thank you!

 

I totally second what Chris said. He and I talked about starting it paywalled, but 1) I didn’t want to potentially be writing things only a handful of people would see, and 2) it’s really, really hard to come up with a fair “ask.”
 

On the one hand, it depends on how much a reader does (or doesn’t) like my work. (I don’t expect everyone to like it equally or at all!) On the other, people’s disposable income varies. My academic work was about tax politics and policy, and declining marginal utility is real. What’s a lot of money to Paul McCartney is going to be very different from what’s a lot of money to a Liverpool music teacher!

 

If someone who has the means to do so wants to give a lot, great. But I absolutely don’t want anyone living paycheck to paycheck to give to TBVO, period. My wife and I are both public school teachers, though I still teach college classes here and there. So it’s not like we’re rich. But we also don’t have kids or student loans. So my Discogs orders aren’t bankrupting me, either!
 

As I wrote in the intro, Club TBVO is really about allowing me to write more short content and perhaps making TBVOs consistently net out positive, since it’s not uncommon for me to spend more on versions than I make on the article. But it’s not anyone’s responsibility to make that happen. Writing them is a joy for me, and I appreciate any amount that anyone is able to contribute, either one time or recurring. 

Link to comment

I will also start with a small donation and plan to raise it as this grows over time.

Aurender N100H --> iPad Mini --> WireWorld Silver Starlight USB Cable -> Mytek 192 DSD DAC --> Decware TABOO MKIII --> Decware Interconnects -> Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD800 -> Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced Headphone Cables

Link to comment
22 hours ago, Archimago said:

Hey there @JoshM, I heartily agree with your quote. :-)

 

Hard work (but hopefully enjoyable!), and essential information which unfortunately we don't have enough of.

 

A little something just sent over for the awesome job man! 👍


Thanks so much, Arch!

Link to comment

👋 Hi, long-time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to say that I've greatly enjoyed the entire series of TBVO and I really admire the amount of work that goes into each article. As someone who spent way too much time surfing the SH forums in search of the best mastering for every classic album, this is right up my alley. I also appreciate the mixture of objective and subjective analysis. Looking forward to more!

Link to comment
2 hours ago, LucasZ said:

👋 Hi, long-time reader, first time poster. Just wanted to say that I've greatly enjoyed the entire series of TBVO and I really admire the amount of work that goes into each article. As someone who spent way too much time surfing the SH forums in search of the best mastering for every classic album, this is right up my alley. I also appreciate the mixture of objective and subjective analysis. Looking forward to more!


Thanks so much, Lucas. A big part of the motivation for TBVO was reading the SHF forums. It whet my appetite for finding the best mastering, but with so few (if any) members having every version, let alone comparing them level-matched, I alway ended up feeling like I needed to just track them all down myself!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, JoshM said:


Thanks so much, Lucas. A big part of the motivation for TBVO was reading the SHF forums. It whet my appetite for finding the best mastering, but with so few (if any) members having every version, let alone comparing them level-matched, I alway ended up feeling like I needed to just track them all down myself!

i'm a great admirer of your work. I wondered for a while if there was room for a kind of "back of the enveloppe" TBVO thread where we could share tips and maybe Musicscope captures but in the end I think it would end up subjective and unstructured and there's SHF for that. Your work is unique and, yes, the best we can do is encourage you to produce more 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...