IGNORED

Is this a good use case of a passive preamp or crossover or any other recommendations?

Hi everyone, looking for some advice or recommendation here in my quest to incorporate my 11.2 HT and my 2.2 system sharing the same main L and R speakers and the two subwoofers. Wonder if a passive pre-amp or a passive or active crossover might be the missing piece of the puzzle.

My current set up is as follows

1) Anthem 11.2 receiver – a) RCA pre-amp out main L and R speakers to Freya + (premap) RCA input; 2) anthem receiver sub-out to LFE = Left channel of the subwoofers; 3) From Freya + split out to a) my power amplifier to speakers and b) Right channel of the subwoofers
For movies – I would turn on Freya + in passive mode and set max volume for HT By-pass

2) IFI DAC XLR out to Freya + XLR in, -> split out Freya + to a) my power amplifier to speakers and b) Right channel of the subwoofers

As you can see where the duplication I bolded above, while there is no issue with 2) playing music with IFI DAC to Freya + to power amp to speakers and subwoofers, an issue is on 1) playing movies with the Anthem receiver, because crossover is set with the receiver to pass all frequencies below 80hz to the two subwoofers through the subwoofer LFE channels. However, frequencies above 80HZ also flows through the Freya + XLR split to the right channel of the subwoofers.

I wonder if a passive preamp might be the solution for movies with the receiver so 1) Freya + split RCA out to the passive preamp first before it gets to the subwoofers, 2) set passive preamp volume to minimum or simply switch to the input that is not connected to anything so no frequencies flow to the subwoofers.

When I want to use the IFI DAC for 2.2 music, I would switch input of the passive preamp to enable frequency to the subwoofers.

My subwoofers are about 10-12 feet away from the Freya +

Does it sound like a solution or perhaps I will need something like a active crossover that I can simply power off the active crossover to block any frequencies going from the Freya to the subwoofers?

Or perhaps I can just dial my subwoofers crossover frequencies manually to 80HZ for movies so pretty much nothing above 80HZ gets through the subwoofers regardless?

How do others do it to set up their HT and dual channel systems with subwoofer integration?

Thanks
Deric

On 7/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, dericchan1 said:

Hi everyone, looking for some advice or recommendation here in my quest to incorporate my 11.2 HT and my 2.2 system sharing the same main L and R speakers and the two subwoofers. Wonder if a passive pre-amp or a passive or active crossover might be the missing piece of the puzzle.

My current set up is as follows

1) Anthem 11.2 receiver – a) RCA pre-amp out main L and R speakers to Freya + (premap) RCA input; 2) anthem receiver sub-out to LFE = Left channel of the subwoofers; 3) From Freya + split out to a) my power amplifier to speakers and b) Right channel of the subwoofers
For movies – I would turn on Freya + in passive mode and set max volume for HT By-pass

2) IFI DAC XLR out to Freya + XLR in, -> split out Freya + to a) my power amplifier to speakers and b) Right channel of the subwoofers

As you can see where the duplication I bolded above, while there is no issue with 2) playing music with IFI DAC to Freya + to power amp to speakers and subwoofers, an issue is on 1) playing movies with the Anthem receiver, because crossover is set with the receiver to pass all frequencies below 80hz to the two subwoofers through the subwoofer LFE channels. However, frequencies above 80HZ also flows through the Freya + XLR split to the right channel of the subwoofers.

I wonder if a passive preamp might be the solution for movies with the receiver so 1) Freya + split RCA out to the passive preamp first before it gets to the subwoofers, 2) set passive preamp volume to minimum or simply switch to the input that is not connected to anything so no frequencies flow to the subwoofers.

When I want to use the IFI DAC for 2.2 music, I would switch input of the passive preamp to enable frequency to the subwoofers.

My subwoofers are about 10-12 feet away from the Freya +

Does it sound like a solution or perhaps I will need something like a active crossover that I can simply power off the active crossover to block any frequencies going from the Freya to the subwoofers?

Or perhaps I can just dial my subwoofers crossover frequencies manually to 80HZ for movies so pretty much nothing above 80HZ gets through the subwoofers regardless?

How do others do it to set up their HT and dual channel systems with subwoofer integration?

Thanks
Deric

Hello,

Maybe its just me but I really don't follow your system connectivity description at all. Something is quite confusing about how you explained the way its all connected together. Sorry, not meant to be a dig at you but I think a clearer explanation or diagram will help people be able to offer advise.

But then again, maybe it is just me not getting it and in that case feel free to ignore me and carry on :)

3 hours ago, cjf said:

Hello,

Maybe its just me but I really don't follow your system connectivity description at all. Something is quite confusing about how you explained the way its all connected together. Sorry, not meant to be a dig at you but I think a clearer explanation or diagram will help people be able to offer advise.

But then again, maybe it is just me not getting it and in that case feel free to ignore me and carry on :)

My apology for the confusion. It is confusing to me as well to be honest.

my main issue is I like to have both my receiver and my external dac both connected to my Freya + preamp to be able to share the same left and right main speakers and the two subwoofers

no problem with the external dac set up for 2.2 music playing as the Freya will output frequencies to both the power amplifier and the subwoofers.

the issue/concern is with movie playing through my receiver because the receiver will 1) output low frequency signal through the receiver subwoofer out  to the subwoofer and 2) output 80hz and above signal to the Freya + then the Freya + will transfer the frequency to both the Left and right main speakers and to the subwoofers again unless I unplug the Freya’s rca output to the subwoofers

Deric

19 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

my main issue is I like to have both my receiver and my external dac both connected to my Freya + preamp to be able to share the same left and right main speakers and the two subwoofers

no problem with the external dac set up for 2.2 music playing as the Freya will output frequencies to both the power amplifier and the subwoofers.

the issue/concern is with movie playing through my receiver because the receiver will 1) output low frequency signal through the receiver subwoofer out  to the subwoofer and 2) output 80hz and above signal to the Freya + then the Freya + will transfer the frequency to both the Left and right main speakers and to the subwoofers again unless I unplug the Freya’s rca output to the subwoofers

Deric

Av receivers are much better at HT than HiFi so just use the Anthem for movies.

For music go DAC>Freya>Amp> L&R speakers (sub not essential for music?).

13 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Av receivers are much better at HT than HiFi so just use the Anthem for movies.

For music go DAC>Freya>Amp> L&R speakers (sub not essential for music?).

Yes that is the plan - receiver for ht and multichannel music duty. And separate dac to Freya to amp to speakers AND subs for 2 channel music

On 7/26/2022 at 10:19 PM, dericchan1 said:

Deric

Which exact Anthem unit do you have?

23 hours ago, dericchan1 said:

Anthem MRX1120. It’s been rock solid ever since I bought it in 2017

OK, how many amplification channels are you using from the Anthem that are wired directly to a speaker?

Also, how many available Digital Coax and Optical Inputs from the Anthem do you have still available?

And another question, what are you using for a music and movie source? BluRay player, Roku, Computer, Cable TV Box?

I see you mention that you have a separate amplifier also. Is it a two channel amp or multichannel amp? Also, are you attempting to use that external separate amp in both configuration options you describe?

Also, which model IFI DAC are you using?

You might be able to do what you want if you had a means to "Route" the digital source signal to multiple end points. I see that the Anthem has Digital Inputs but your DAC may not which would be a problem in accomplishing what I'm thinking of.

1 hour ago, cjf said:

OK, how many amplification channels are you using from the Anthem that are wired directly to a speaker?

Also, how many available Digital Coax and Optical Inputs from the Anthem do you have still available?

And another question, what are you using for a music and movie source? BluRay player, Roku, Computer, Cable TV Box?

I see you mention that you have a separate amplifier also. Is it a two channel amp or multichannel amp? Also, are you attempting to use that external separate amp in both configuration options you describe?

Also, which model IFI DAC are you using?

You might be able to do what you want if you had a means to "Route" the digital source signal to multiple end points. I see that the Anthem has Digital Inputs but your DAC may not which would be a problem in accomplishing what I'm thinking of.

Thanks for your inquiry. I am not sure what you are thinking of accomplishing.

my set up are as follows:

1) anthem mrx 1120 - main left and right preamp out to a Freya + preamp then to a Roksan K3 power amp to speakers.

the rest of the 9 channels connected directly to speakers.

anthem subwoofer out to LFE channel of 2 PSA subwoofers.

the anthem has 2 coax in and 3 optical in I believe, I never used any of them

2) IFI NEO IDSD dac connected to Freya + preamp then to Roksan K3 power amp to speakers AND from Freya + RCA out to right channels of the 2 psa subs.

3) source device for both movies and 2 channel music = pc windows server 

thanks

Deric

On 7/29/2022 at 8:57 PM, dericchan1 said:

Thanks for your inquiry. I am not sure what you are thinking of accomplishing.

my set up are as follows:

1) anthem mrx 1120 - main left and right preamp out to a Freya + preamp then to a Roksan K3 power amp to speakers.

the rest of the 9 channels connected directly to speakers.

anthem subwoofer out to LFE channel of 2 PSA subwoofers.

the anthem has 2 coax in and 3 optical in I believe, I never used any of them

2) IFI NEO IDSD dac connected to Freya + preamp then to Roksan K3 power amp to speakers AND from Freya + RCA out to right channels of the 2 psa subs.

3) source device for both movies and 2 channel music = pc windows server 

thanks

Deric

Here's what I was thinking. There are three dependencies for it to work though.

1. The Freya+ needs to be able to simultaneously Ouput the same signal to all Outputs at the same time. The signal needs to be mirrored to the XLR BAL Outputs & Both pairs of RCA Line Level Outputs so the same source signal gets sent out all Outputs. You may need to call Schiit and ask if the Freya can do it or not first. 

2. You will need a DAC with a Digital Input

3. You would need to purchase a Digital Router

Connectivity Chain.........

Source Computer USB Output

TO

Digital Router (One example of such a device https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-usb.html )

Digital Router Channel pair 1

TO

Anthem Digital Input

Digital Router Channel pair 2

TO

DAC Digital Input

Select which source you want to use with Digital Router (either movies to Anthem or Music to DAC)

For movies, from the Anthem, you select the Digital Input feeding it from the Digital Router

You keep all the existing speaker connections on the Anthem in place

You keep the Main PreAmp Outs from the Anthem in place feeding the Freya+

You MOVE the SUB Outputs from the Anthem to the Freya + PreAmp connecting both Subs to both pairs of RCA Line Level Outputs on the Freya

You use the BAL XLR Outputs on the Freya+ to feed your Roksan K3 Amp and two main speaker channels

For music, from the DAC, you select the Digital Input coming from the Digital Router playing music and you feed the Analog Output to the Freya+

This all would allow you to get rid of those terrible "Splitters"  as well (Just hearing the word splitter makes me cringe 😀 ). In any case, you would manage the Subs using their built-in controls on the back to x-over the incoming signal at your desired Freq.

Sitting here on the Internet it all sounds doable but as I mentioned, there are dependencies to make it work and I fully understand you may not be willing to purchase stuff to make it happen but in any case I figured I would throw it out there as a possible option with minimal equipment replacement and utilizing as much as possible of what you already have.

23 minutes ago, cjf said:

Here's what I was thinking. There are three dependencies for it to work though.

1. The Freya+ needs to be able to simultaneously Ouput the same signal to all Outputs at the same time. The signal needs to be mirrored to the XLR BAL Outputs & Both pairs of RCA Line Level Outputs so the same source signal gets sent out all Outputs. You may need to call Schiit and ask if the Freya can do it or not first. 

2. You will need a DAC with a Digital Input

3. You would need to purchase a Digital Router

Connectivity Chain.........

Source Computer USB Output

TO

Digital Router (One example of such a device https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-usb.html )

Digital Router Channel pair 1

TO

Anthem Digital Input

Digital Router Channel pair 2

TO

DAC Digital Input

Select which source you want to use with Digital Router (either movies to Anthem or Music to DAC)

For movies, from the Anthem, you select the Digital Input feeding it from the Digital Router

You keep all the existing speaker connections on the Anthem in place

You keep the Main PreAmp Outs from the Anthem in place feeding the Freya+

You MOVE the SUB Outputs from the Anthem to the Freya + PreAmp connecting both Subs to both pairs of RCA Line Level Outputs on the Freya

You use the BAL XLR Outputs on the Freya+ to feed your Roksan K3 Amp and two main speaker channels

For music, from the DAC, you select the Digital Input coming from the Digital Router playing music and you feed the Analog Output to the Freya+

This all would allow you to get rid of those terrible "Splitters"  as well (Just hearing the word splitter makes me cringe 😀 ). In any case, you would manage the Subs using their built-in controls on the back to x-over the incoming signal at your desired Freq.

Sitting here on the Internet it all sounds doable but as I mentioned, there are dependencies to make it work and I fully understand you may not be willing to purchase stuff to make it happen but in any case I figured I would throw it out there as a possible option with minimal equipment replacement and utilizing as much as possible of what you already have.

Thanks my friend, your suggestion sounds complicated I will have to draw out a diagram tonight to fully understand if it will work.

but yes, all Freya + output simultaneously and my dac has digital input