IGNORED

The Article I Didn't Write For Audiophile Style

No wonder that you are happy with your new amp.

I also passed to class D power amps with two Nuprime mono blocs. 

But these Purifi modules seem fantastic. 

I heard very enthusiastic feed back about them from a friend who bought the HPA-S400ET from Audiophonics (which is a good French maker of audio gear). 

Here's a link to the review and the measurements of by Audio Science of this model of double mono power amp. Amir grants it with his strongest recommendation: 

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/audiophonics-hpa-s400et-review-stereo-amplifier.32014/

Jud, which Purifi module does your amp use: the Purifi 1ET400A or the more recent Purifi 1ET7040SA?

I own the March Audio P451 with 1ET400A and am considering upgrading to their P501 with the new 1ET7040SA?

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

1 hour ago, Al Jones said:

Jud, which Purifi module does your amp use: the Purifi 1ET400A or the more recent Purifi 1ET7040SA?

I own the March Audio P451 with 1ET400A and am considering upgrading to their P501 with the new 1ET7040SA?

As the name of the amp suggests, it uses the 1ET400A. Apollon also builds amps with the 1ET7040SA.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, ssh said:

Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) user here. I am very happy with the amp. Did you upgrade the op-amps?

I didn’t. The amp in the system that sounded wonderful at RMAF used the standard Texas Instruments op-amps, so I didn’t feel a need. The AS member I chatted with about this may roll op-amps in the future. If I get reports of a significant positive subjective difference from them, I may consider it. The construction of this amp makes op-amp rolling easy to do if I choose to.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I didn’t. The amp in the system that sounded wonderful at RMAF used the standard Texas Instruments op-amps, so I didn’t feel a need. The AS member I chatted with about this may roll op-amps in the future. If I get reports of a significant positive subjective difference from them, I may consider it. The construction of this amp makes op-amp rolling easy to do if I choose to.

Can you say a bit more about why you chose the Apollon over the other makers? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

35 minutes ago, firedog said:

Can you say a bit more about why you chose the Apollon over the other makers? 

It really was just as simple as the fact that someone whose knowledge I respect told me that (a) the parts quality, and (b) the internal layout of the Apollon were as good as or (mostly) better than other Purifi-based amps, and that at the price point of the Mini, it represented very good value for money among such amps. (Purifi-based amps being in this person’s opinion “Better than anything else I’ve heard under 5 figures.”)

Very interesting Jud!  Congratulations on the new amps!

I have been intrigued with the possibilities of Class D ever since Jeff Day mentioned that Class D was as revolutionary as the DH-SET movement 40 years ago (Adventures in Real Sound with Shirokazu Yazaki of SPEC).   This was a pretty remarkable statement back then (2015).  It appears that Class D has started to come of age.  The fit and finish of the Apollon gear looks fantastic.  And the MINI appears to be stonking good value given your feedback!

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Thats great!  At one time I owned a DMA 150, but have had many amps since.  I am currently rocking a VTV Purifi amp, and it was revelatory that such good quality is available for this price.  Its definitely one of the best amps I've had in my system.  I recently purchased the Atma-Sphere Digital Monoblocks (which us GaN technology).  I am eagerly awaiting their arrival. I'm very enthused to see what a first rate classic tube designer does with Class D. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, John Hughes said:

Thats great!  At one time I owned a DMA 150, but have had many amps since.  I am currently rocking a VTV Purifi amp, and it was revelatory that such good quality is available for this price.  Its definitely one of the best amps I've had in my system.  I recently purchased the Atma-Sphere Digital Monoblocks (which us GaN technology).  I am eagerly awaiting their arrival. I'm very enthused to see what a first rate classic tube designer does with Class D. 

Agree. Tubes are slow but "fattening". If some of that tonal richness could be worked into that fast, articulate class D power it would be a delight.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Agree. Tubes are slow but "fattening". If some of that tonal richness could be worked into that fast, articulate class D power it would be a delight.

I’ve not noticed a lack of richness or body from the Apollon at all. In fact the power reserves seem to me subjectively to give great body to vocals, cellos, double bass, acoustic guitar, etc. But on the other hand I don’t know the particular tube sound that appeals to you, so it may not be the sound the Purifi/Apollon presents.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

I’ve not noticed a lack of richness or body from the Apollon at all. In fact the power reserves seem to me subjectively to give great body to vocals, cellos, double bass, acoustic guitar, etc. But on the other hand I don’t know the particular tube sound that appeals to you, so it may not be the sound the Purifi/Apollon presents.

I use either a passive pre or a tubed LTA MZ2 into GaN Orchard Audio mono blocks. While the passive pre is more dynamic,/ detailed/doesn't truncate lowest bass,  its not fluid and easy to live with like the LTA MZ2. In  my "best of all possible worlds" I'd like to see all of the positive attributes above in an amplifier without needing 10,000 BTU's of room cooling

(class A or tubes) fed directly by DAC as volume control.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

I use either a passive pre or a tubed LTA MZ2 into GaN Orchard Audio mono blocks. While the passive pre is more dynamic,/ detailed/doesn't truncate lowest bass,  its not fluid and easy to live with like the LTA MZ2. In  my "best of all possible worlds" I'd like to see all of the positive attributes above in an amplifier without needing 10,000 BTU's of room cooling

(class A or tubes) fed directly by DAC as volume control.

Maybe you should try his Project DAC/Pre..

20 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Maybe you should try his Project DAC/Pre..

Well, I’m enjoying it, but I make no particular claims it is anything but a decent relatively inexpensive ESS DAC.

3 minutes ago, davide256 said:

One of the reasons I've yet to buy a better DAC is that I keep finding what I dislike is mostly the fault of something else in the system 😉

Though that might be quite hard to tell. 🙂

35 minutes ago, Jud said:

Well, I’m enjoying it, but I make no particular claims it is anything but a decent relatively inexpensive ESS DAC.

You never know, you might have found a unicorn. The pre/power synergy is key.

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

You never know, you might have found a unicorn. The pre/power synergy is key.

Not sure it’s synergy so much as simplification. I removed the Spectral preamp from the system. It’s an outstanding preamp, but it isn’t as good as nothing at all between the DAC’s built-in preamp and the amp. So the DAC’s not screwing things up too badly, and then the amp is being tremendously faithful to what it receives (as the specs would indicate).

13 hours ago, davide256 said:

I've put tubes in front of Class D. It adds tube flavoring, or whatever you want to call it. 

It's fine if that's what you want. 

Can't say it's "better" - it's different; it does reduce somewhat the advantages of good Class D - that clean and very clear sound. Sounds "dirty" in comparison. But it's still good sound, it's just a matter of what flavor you like. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@Jud

Congratulations for your choice!!!  Happy you like it and you enjoy what you hear !!!

I have heard the Purified Class D in Munich 2019 and Paris 2019, and I was really feeling, if ever there will be new amps, these would be the high road to audiophile nirvana. I was very happy that the amplification and the PuRiFi speaker were passing the exam of the expert review by @mitchco, confirming my own positive impressions

It’s about two years,  I had exchanged mails with Pavel from OKTO Research about doing a feature about “European Excellence”, contemplating pairing the DAC stereo with the Apollon Mini amp and perhaps some speaker from French or Danish manufacturer …
however, with all the troubles and limitations that came with these malevolent Covidean times, this was left to be an exciting idea, only .

Thus, I am very happy that one of the most  trustful members here get the things done and prove this idea wasn’t that bad at all ;-) BRAVO !

Personally, I have now acquired the OKTO Pro DAC for my recent active speaker project, however, the purified amplification is one of the planned upgrades, but not integral part of the project due to limitations in spending. Priorities are on the speaker assembly, the multichannel DAC  plus DSP / DRC for getting the project kicked off after the summer break. Next week will show if the woodwork will be finished before the summer break.

When the funds will be available, a pair of Audiophonics Mono blocks for the low end (<250hz) and the Apollon Mini for the low-mid/highs  might be the final selection, as their Monos are at half the price compared to the Apollon mono blocs, tax included.  This would mean to double the available current compared to the Mini alone, perhaps a premium in sq?

Actually, as you have mentioned in the OP,  you almost can’t beat these on costs at 749 €/$ with DIY efforts when doing i.E. a GHENT based Purifi mono amp with SMPS400 PS. (around 600 Euro/$ without gain switching board and assembly).

Which DAC you are using? Still the iFi micro DSD? How do you control the volume?
Any thoughts about improving the excellent sound with a different DAC design ?

Thank you for reporting to us your positive experience, stay safe and healthy.

Tom

Thanks so much, @DuckToller, for your very kind comments. Although the iFi micro iDSD does have a preamp/volume control, I replaced it with a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 a couple of years ago. It also has a preamp/volume control, plus a remote control. As you can tell from the review I am very much enjoying the sound. While I don’t think of this as my ultimate DAC (I’d look for something that has balanced outputs and leaves DSD sent from my player software untouched), a replacement is unlikely to happen any time soon.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:38 PM, Jud said:

I removed the Spectral preamp from the system.

Or rather, I removed it from the chain where the DAC is the source. Happily the Apollon has both balanced and single ended inputs, so if I want to listen to my turntable or tuner I can switch to the single ended inputs coming from the Spectral. (My present DAC has only single ended outputs, but I use single ended to balanced cables with it. Of course this doesn’t give me balanced output, but it does allow the convenience of running the DAC direct to the amp.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jud, I have previously followed your insights and experiences with the EtherRegen (which were spot on), so when I saw you made the switch to a Purifi based amp I was very interested. I too am at a bit of an ‘amp crossroads’, having a vintage restored SS amp I love, but with a new set of speakers needing a little more power. The Purifi reviews I have read have been glowing, with only one reservation of occasional note: An alleged lack of low level detail that may render the decay of certain notes and instruments somewhat truncated. For example, the strike of a drum or cymbal; the decay is there, it slowly fades, but then it is somehow shortened or “abbreviated”, at least compared to classic AB amplifiers. Have you on occasion noticed this characteristic? I’m ready to pull the trigger on this technology, probably with one of the smaller companies such as Apollon or VTV, but since I listen largely to classical and jazz, this issue is of obvious concern. Decay and ambience are so important in these genres! Thanks, John 

I bought a Purifi-based Apollon 1ET400A MINI amp with the Sparko SS2590 Pro op amps,

I have had it for just over one year. I feed a Bricasti M3 direct to the amp. Since received, every day I am amazed at what I would describe as a visceral clarity.

It's a strength and finesse thing.

SSH