IGNORED

Mono > Stereo > Immersive

Doing some research on the introduction of stereo, I ran across some gems. Among them:

A key challenge for selling stereo was consumers’ satisfaction with the mono music systems they already owned. After all, adopting stereo meant you needed to buy a new record player, speakers and a stereo amplifier.

https://theconversation.com/amp/how-stereo-was-first-sold-to-a-skeptical-public-103668

There are so many parallels with the introduction of stereo and the introduction of immersive audio. The linked article above touches on many of them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Interesting. The history repeats itself.

After all, to be picky, stereo audio is anything that uses more than one channel.

Stereo derives from Greek στερεός which means firm, geometrically solid – something featuring a three dimensional nature (X Y Z).

We're used to define stereo precisely as a 2 channels representation. To some extent, the quadrophony, Dolby Atmos or any other multichannel audio representation is a variant of stereo (although some of them are object-oriented).

I get, though, that in regular conversations for the sake of simplicity it's handy to define stereo as a 2 channels audio only.

Just like a chronometer is a watch, clock or any other tool that measures time, yet everybody thinks of it as a stopwatch (which is technically a chronograph).

OK, I stop here – I only wanted to point out that immersive audio it's an evolution of the 3-dimensional audible perspective... 🙂