IGNORED

McIntosh is sold

• 2 months later...

I cannot recall one audio acquisition that boded well for the acquired brand.  I think back to when Snell was acquired by Boston Acoustics or whomever it was or Aragon, and many others.  In order to make these acquisitions ROI work, the parent company tries to utilize scale and supply chain efficiencies, which means cost cutting.  If they don't get ROI they fire sale the brand lines again.  Seems like a destructive cycle.

Let's hope mighty Mac does not suffer as as result as they are one of the rare breeds of apples at this point.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

On 9/20/2022 at 3:07 PM, photonman said:

I cannot recall one audio acquisition that boded well for the acquired brand.  I think back to when Snell was acquired by Boston Acoustics or whomever it was or Aragon, and many others.  In order to make these acquisitions ROI work, the parent company tries to utilize scale and supply chain efficiencies, which means cost cutting.  If they don't get ROI they fire sale the brand lines again.  Seems like a destructive cycle.

Let's hope mighty Mac does not suffer as as result as they are one of the rare breeds of apples at this point.

Harmon Kardon comes to mind. It was originally a premium brand.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

We have to wait and see. One cannot assume it is bad.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

26 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Agreed.  Wasn't B&W in private equity hands for a while?  Whatever the label, the important thing is that the owners are long term thinkers, willing to invest in sonic improvements

It was. It was a California equity firm that wanted to roll out Bluetooth speakers at lower prices, and never happened. So, it was sold again, like 6 months after being bought.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

It was. It was a California equity firm that wanted to roll out Bluetooth speakers at lower prices, and never happened. So, it was sold again, like 6 months after being bought.

Yes, that was an interesting idea, though a failure.  I think PE firm Summit Partners of Boston was before that?  But whether it was one or both, it did not appear that audiophile product development suffered

25 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Yes, that was an interesting idea, though a failure.  I think PE firm Summit Partners of Boston was before that?  But whether it was one or both, it did not appear that audiophile product development suffered

B&W seemed to work hard to get the D4's out because that was after the sale from the CA firm. I really like the 805D4's but just can't justify the cost. I might buy in the used market, maybe.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 3:28 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Private investment firms only want one thing, returns, and they will do anything to get them. These brands are essentially dead.

Nonsense.   Mcintosh has been acquired  several times over the years.  Mitt Romney's outfit Bain Capital bought in the late 90s or early 2000s.  Japanese firm owned it before that.    It'll still be Mcintosh 

2 hours ago, JBT said:

Nonsense.   Mcintosh has been acquired  several times over the years.  Mitt Romney's outfit Bain Capital bought in the late 90s or early 2000s.  Japanese firm owned it before that.    It'll still be Mcintosh 

They want the brand recognition, I agree.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590