IGNORED

Article: Installing My 7.1.4 Immersive Audio System

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

Are you concerned that the subwoofer impact will not be sufficient?

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wait till you see the measurements. I think your concerns will be alleviated :~)

Agree with Chris. In fact I don't think any sub is really needed in this situation given the -3dB point on the main speakers is 19 Hz and for the surrounds it is 32 Hz.  Any really  low frequency information can be directed to the main channels, but there won't be much .. most music won't have any.

Movies are a  different matter. Dinosaur stomps, earthquakes, and depth charge explosions  can benefit from a bunch of subs, but this isn't that kind of system....... yet 🙄

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Not to be too remedial, but LFE is low frequency effects not necessarily the bass that's below what the main channels can play. It's a distinct channel for effects. 

right, but it doesn't have to be a sent to a dedicated LFE speaker (sub),  it can be directed to any speaker(s) that can reproduce it. It is typically sent to a subwoofer along with other low frequency information crossed over from speakers that have limited low frequency extension, but since your main speakers can play as low as your sub you could direct any LFE to them. Your system is a prime example of one that doesn't need a sub. 

17 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:
18 minutes ago, bbosler said:

since your main speakers can play as low as your sub

Or so it seems :~)

unless Wilson is lying they can actually go lower. What Wilson doesn't say is how loud they can get (maximum sound pressure level ) ... I suspect the sub will outdo them there.

18 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

LFE us usually +10 dB as well. 

which goes right back to the point about how loud they can play.. I suspect the sub has more headroom down there, but since Wilson doesn't publish SPL I'm guessing... so I'll drop it, I don't want to get this hung up on subwoofer discussions

4 minutes ago, bbosler said:

unless Wilson is lying they can actually go lower. What Wilson doesn't say is how loud they can get (maximum sound pressure level ) ... I suspect the sub will outdo them there.

which goes right back to the point about how loud they can play.. I suspect the sub has more headroom down there, but since Wilson doesn't publish SPL I'm guessing... so I'll drop it, I don't want to get this hung up on subwoofer discussions

I’d say it’s a matter of very conservative rating. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 hours ago, bbosler said:

Agree with Chris. In fact I don't think any sub is really needed in this situation given the -3dB point on the main speakers is 19 Hz and for the surrounds it is 32 Hz.  Any really  low frequency information can be directed to the main channels, but there won't be much .. most music won't have any.

Movies are a  different matter. Dinosaur stomps, earthquakes, and depth charge explosions  can benefit from a bunch of subs, but this isn't that kind of system....... yet 🙄

Actually, from your message, I think you agree with me on the Loke, and Chris is maintaining that we are both incorrect...

I take Chris's response to be that his measurements will show that the Loke has a meaningful impact on the sound beyond what the Alexias can deliver, and his 7.1.4 is significantly better than his 7.0.4 would be.

On the question you raise about "need"--we are orders of magnitude beyond "need" here, we are looking at transcendent.  I did not mean to suggest that 7.0.4 would be an appropriate choice.  I'm just surprised that the Loke is enough in this context.

I look forward to more!

50 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Actually, from your message, I think you agree with me on the Loke, and Chris is maintaining that we are both incorrect...

I take Chris's response to be that his measurements will show that the Loke has a meaningful impact on the sound beyond what the Alexias can deliver, and his 7.1.4 is significantly better than his 7.0.4 would be.

On the question you raise about "need"--we are orders of magnitude beyond "need" here, we are looking at transcendent.  I did not mean to suggest that 7.0.4 would be an appropriate choice.  I'm just surprised that the Loke is enough in this context.

I look forward to more!

Hi Peter, I love your enthusiasm! Yes, please wait for all the details. I hate to trickle out the information, but it takes time to write everything the way I want. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I went to see the new Top Gun movie last night. I specifically selected an Atmos capable theater. Not sure if it was the movie or what, but I'm happy with my decision to only have audio in my room 😁

It's a funny thing--like you, I love my two channel system for music, but have virtually no interest in my pretty good 3.0 system on my TV (I can't even be bothered to plug in a sub, haha).  One exception is concert films.  I wonder about 7.1.4 for The Last Waltz? Stop Making Sense?  Summer of Soul?  Of course so many musical documentaries slice and dice the songs, I might just end up in tears of frustration...

• 3 months later...