IGNORED

Article: Installing My 7.1.4 Immersive Audio System

1 minute ago, bobflood said:

How many 20 Amp feeds do you need up there to run this? It looks amazing and I am certain that it will sound that way as well. Be ready for some demo requests from all the major suppliers. Looking forward to the future articles. CONGRATS!

I have my own separate 60 amp sub panel :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, firedog said:

Just to pile on with the praise:

A) It must sound incredible - I'd love to hear it;

B) It's great to have the space and the ability to do this;

C) If I had the space, I would pay lots of money for someone to do a professional install. No way  I could do it. And even with the ability, it's a huge project that you took on, researched and executed.

Impressive.

Thanks so much @firedog.  Many good things to come :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 hours ago, bbosler said:

Question about placement of the height speakers....

from these pictures, and I know it may not tell the whole story, it looks like your seat is way off axis from the heights. It appears the  sides of the heights are facing your seat and they are firing pretty much straight down into the floor 

I would think if you can barely see the face of the speaker from the seat you are not going to get very smooth response from it..

Shouldn't the face of the speaker be pointing more  toward your chair??

IMG_5252.jpeg

IMG_5256.jpeg

Good eye Bruce :~)

Technically, the height channels can fire downward like rain showers or be aimed at the listening position. Aiming them at the listening position is preferred though. 

1. DSP will smooth the response. 
2. The speakers on my ceiling are currently firing downward, but this is only the beginning. I plan to angle them at the listening position, take measurements, do some listening, and determine which position works best sonically. 

One more item to note @bbosler, the images are a little skewed. They make it look like I see the side of the speaker from my listening position. Here are two shots I just took from my chair. These may give a better representation of the speaker angle. 

I'm definitely not listening from the side of the speaker, but they could be angled a bit more. The mounts are really nice for turning the speaker in whatever direction is needed. 

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5299.png

1 minute ago, bbosler said:

yes, that looks a lot better. I'm thinking DSP can only do so much and less is better. DSP is going to try and flatten the response so if you are too far off axis it could end up applying an unreasonable amount of boost to the tweeter. With Trinnov you can apply what they call excursion curves that limit the amount of cut/boost that it will apply

I will be interested to see where your speakers end up

Capture.JPG

I’m always in the camp of less is more. I have an article coming soon, where I’ll detail all the fine tuning. I measured the room first, then made physical/electronic changes, measured again, then had the DSP created. I’m still working with Mitch to create the best sounding convolution filter. Based on the one I’m listening to right now, we may have found it. 

1 hour ago, Brian A said:

I obviously don't know much about this stuff.  How much 7.1.4 source material is available?  Are musicians recording in that format or is it for other forms of audio than "plain" music?

I read with great interest last year's articles by bluesman about realism vs accuracy and came to respect what recording technicians have to deal with and the soundstage they have to construct.

There are tons of Atmos releases available. Studios are backed up for many months with a long list of A List titles to remix for Atmos. New releases and old releases are in Atmos. Popular titles and more obscure titles are in Atmos. 

Atmos is different from the multichannel efforts of the past. The mainstream is pushing it this time. 

17 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Don't be a tease 🙄

could you please be a bit more specific than "a classical concert" ??

Besides sharing ideas about hardware, one of the main benefits of a forum like this is discovering new music. The main reason I subscribe to the major audio rags is the value I find in the descriptions of music being used in their equipment reviews.

I’m working on more articles about this and prefer not to release everything in comments to other articles. 🙂

4 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Wow--this is just so amazing in it's (your) ambition and scale.  I'm very excited for your review of the sonics after the system is optimized.

I understand how the Loke would be an awesome addition for a pair of TuneTots or Sabrinas.  But how can a relatively modest subwoofer pull its weight when paired with 2 Alexias and 10 Alidas?  Aren't we at the equivalent of 15-20 TuneTots here?  Are you concerned that the subwoofer impact will not be sufficient?

Wait till you see the measurements. I think your concerns will be alleviated :~)

4 minutes ago, bbosler said:

unless Wilson is lying they can actually go lower. What Wilson doesn't say is how loud they can get (maximum sound pressure level ) ... I suspect the sub will outdo them there.

which goes right back to the point about how loud they can play.. I suspect the sub has more headroom down there, but since Wilson doesn't publish SPL I'm guessing... so I'll drop it, I don't want to get this hung up on subwoofer discussions

I’d say it’s a matter of very conservative rating. 

50 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Actually, from your message, I think you agree with me on the Loke, and Chris is maintaining that we are both incorrect...

I take Chris's response to be that his measurements will show that the Loke has a meaningful impact on the sound beyond what the Alexias can deliver, and his 7.1.4 is significantly better than his 7.0.4 would be.

On the question you raise about "need"--we are orders of magnitude beyond "need" here, we are looking at transcendent.  I did not mean to suggest that 7.0.4 would be an appropriate choice.  I'm just surprised that the Loke is enough in this context.

I look forward to more!

Hi Peter, I love your enthusiasm! Yes, please wait for all the details. I hate to trickle out the information, but it takes time to write everything the way I want. 

Thanks for your patience. 

• 3 months later...