IGNORED

Article: Installing My 7.1.4 Immersive Audio System

30 minutes ago, bbosler said:

so now... let the games begin !!

It just struck me that you have invested all of this time and effort and $$$ hoping that it will be worth it. I'm pretty sure the sound will be there, but will the immersive experience be all that you  hoped it would be?

Since I already had the 11.3.6 theater set up, for me it was just a matter of obtaining the software to play. From my limited experience with the relatively small number of titles I have (about 20) I don't think it would have been worth it for me to add all that you added to get the immersive experience. Glad I have it since it is indispensable for movies and some of the audio discs have been fun to listen to, but for me it would not be worth the investment if audio only. Maybe as my library expands I will change my mind. 

eagerly looking forward to your take on it now that your are ready to hit the PLAY button

Bruce,

I see this as a future play by Chris. Two channel is very mature at this point so this is a way to stay relevant as immersive audio takes hold. I doubt that right now there a more than a handful of people who would go to the lengths that Chris has with this project. But, as the library of material expands and the tech matures and prices come down, more and more will want to do it. And, what better place to find the knowledge base than right here. Plus, all the equipment manufacturers must be licking their chops in anticipation. As you said, let the games begin.

Bob

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh yes. I’m just not into video at all.

Not right now but in the future, maybe? But, if you do your 60 amp panel may not be enough. Seriously, you might want to consider it in the future. What you have is the audio portion of a killer VR setup. The video part will come sooner than we think. Theaters are desperate for an immersive experience and if it is developed for a commercial venue home use won't be far behind. I doubt that many people would be willing to go to the lengths you did for audio alone. Surround sound was an offshoot of commercial theater from the 1990s. I think immersive audio using discreet components in space (as opposed to the headset approach) is really aimed primarily at the commercial theater market right now. The video part being much more difficult will take longer. But, if your future play is immersive audio, you may need to move into the video part as it matures. 3D glasses anyone? 

16 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There are tons of Atmos releases available. Studios are backed up for many months with a long list of A List titles to remix for Atmos. New releases and old releases are in Atmos. Popular titles and more obscure titles are in Atmos. 

Atmos is different from the multichannel efforts of the past. The mainstream is pushing it this time. 

Chris, Is the demand being driven by Apple for the Apple Music platform? I can't remember where I read that Apple primarily sees Atmos as being for headset use which in their case would be their high end earbuds. The article said that they plan to use the scanners in later iPhones to take a measurement of the user's head and ear canal so as to be able to precisely tailor the timing and phase to that user. The one problem I see with discrete components in space is the sweet spot problem which we all know well from our two channel systems. Have you tested if the spatial effect holds as you move away from your listening chair? Sorry to rattle on but there are so many unknowns in this. 

Thanks, Bob