IGNORED

Do higher end CD players offer much improved sound?

1 hour ago, Revelation Sound said:

I have a Denon DN-300Z CD player that has built in AM/FM and bluetooth. I am wondering has anyone compared CD players and found if higher end ones from a Marantz CD6007 , ND8006, or Denon 6006 NE make a difference in quality in sound that we can really hear? Or is it more in the features that they cost more?

CD players such as the ones you are quoting are appliances, not significant improvement in sound. There are few audiophile CD players in market anymore because

computer technology advancements has made them price un-competitive vs something like an Innuos Zen Mini server. Bespoke disc transport and optical assemblies

are expensive, the few audiophile disc players that remain are over $2K in price

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...

Yes different CD players just like any other components offer huge changes in sound quality. A smart shopper would by a used high-end cd player and experience huge upgrade. Old Naim, wadia, Ayre, Hegel etc. Note key here is to buy a CD player that plays only cds and has no inputs for natural improved sound.

Music after life

My post-partum return to hifi occurred when I stumbled into a local dealer and asked to buy a CD player.  The very helpful sales consultant smiled, shook his head and handed me a $200 Dragonfly DAC...

As Davide points out, you probably do not want a CD player.  Much better to buy a DAC, plug it into an old laptop, and rip your CDs onto that laptop.  Or go with the server Davide recommends.

Although you have not told us your budget...If you have a lot of CDs and more cash available, I would check out the CD-friendly servers/DACs/amps from Naim