IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule Deluxe

5 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

@cormorant: can you describe the difference in SQ?

The new version is a step up in overall clarity.  It's a nice upgrade.  The Sonore team did excellent work on the new module.

With the additional resolution across the frequency spectrum, treble is more present.  That changed the tonal balance of my system.  I'm making other changes in the system to restore a natural tonal balance.  I'm thinking some people are going to prefer sticking with V1.

My system here

31 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

For the right or left side of ethernet port, is this looking from rear towards connectors or looking from front of unit? Mine has amber coloured led between ethernet port and power input. No sticker on bottom. 

Looking from rear with power input on right. 

My V2 has a green flashing activity light on the left of the Ethernet port. 

My V1 has an amber flashing activity light on the right.  Like yours. 

My system here

27 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I don't have a current unit here to check, but you gents do know that the LED color is generally an indication of 100Mbps or 1Gbe connection. So you could be getting confused based on what you have attached. 

All my testing is at 1Gbe, verified by my Unifi network manager.

My system here

11 minutes ago, lasker98 said:

I just received an email from Andrew at SGC confirming my unit is definitely the new version. Thanks Andrew.

Ok, that is good. With that information, putting it together, here is my current theory.  Is it correct?

* opticalModule Deluxe V1 flashes an amber (orange) LED on the right Ethernet port side for 1Gbe packet traffic AND 100 Mbps traffic.

* Per SuperDad, an amber LED is usually used for 100 Mbps speeds, green for gigabit speeds.

* John changed this "bug" in firmware in V2 such that the flashing green LED on the left shows 1Gbe packet traffic.

* For V2, the amber flashing LED on the right is still used to show 100 Mpbs speed traffic.

* lasker98 has a 100 Mbps network from his opticalModule to his Bryston DAC.

* lasker98's opticalModule Deluxe V2 correctly shows a flashing amber LED on the right.

* The left green LED vs right amber LED is a convenient way to tell V1 and V2 apart, but only for 1Gbe networks.

My system here

• vortecjr changed the title to Introducing the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2.3
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks for the info.

Could the extra heat be problematic? 

I've got a big heatsink on my opticalRendu now which works very well. 

Running at 1.411/1.536 Mhz PCM in multi-mode by itself is enough to cause overheating of the opticalRendu such that I start getting clicks and pauses in the music.  Adding in single mode SFP+ fiber without a heatsink makes that overheating problem even worse.

By the way, in my system I found upgrading from the opticalModule Deluxe V1 to V2, and then adding Finisar single mode SFP+ transceivers, resulted in a surprisingly big improvement in sound quality.  They were two really great upgrades.

My system here

7 minutes ago, lsantista said:

have you tried using a lower voltage PS, in case that's still in the 6-9v band? actually, Im thinking more of the module than the rendu, as with 9v my OG opticalmodule gets so hot its feet unglues and playback is clicky even at lower sample rates. Changing to 5v with the JS2 solved it. no experience with the deluxe versions though

I use my opticalModule Deluxe v2 with a 7v power supply and SFP+ module. It gets warm, but not hot.  It runs a lot cooler than the original opticalModule.

My system here

6 hours ago, Markus8 said:

So when connecting the new Optical Module Deluxe v2 to the EtherRegen what SFP is recommended? Currently got the Finisar and multimode that Sonore ships. 

It may be that single-mode vs multi-mode is a canard and the big improvement is with the smooth but clear sounding Finisar transceivers.  In which case you are good to go.  Maybe others will weigh in?

My system here