IGNORED

Boss2 Volumio 3: "Failed to open ALSA device "volumio": No such device"

Dear Allo support team,

I am a proud owner of an Allo Boss2 player, which works flawlessly when using Moode player. I'd like to switch to Volumio because of Tidal Connect. I flashed the latest version (3.251) onto a 16GB micro SD. I also installed OLED driver successfully using the provided instructions (making sure not to change host name before install).

When I start to play anything, internet radio on Volumio, I immediately get the error message with red background seen in the title: "Error Failed to open ALSA device "volumio": No such device" and no music is coming from the player.

I also checked the volume set to 100 in the web interface, still nothing happens.

Thank you for your kind help in advance.

i2c detect looks like this (slipped a bit):

bash-5.0# sudo i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- 06 -- -- -- -- 0b -- 0d 0e --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- 16 17 18 -- 1a -- 1c -- -- --
20: 20 -- -- 23 -- -- 26 -- -- -- -- -- 2c 2d -- --
30: 30 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3c -- -- --
40: -- 41 42 -- -- 45 -- -- -- -- 4a -- 4c -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 58 59 5a 5b -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- 64 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 6d -- --
70: 70 71 -- 73 74 75 -- --

Zsolt from Hungary 

Important update:

I've managed to make Boss2 sound by removing the Pi4 from the grey acrylic case. I turned on the Pi4 individually and hooked an usb dac into it. It souded. Then I inserted the Pi4 back into the Boss2 case. Boss2 suddenly appeared among the output list, not just on the I2S board list.

The Boss2 started to sound, but still I have no OLED display and remote function despite the fact that I successfully installed those earlier.

I might start to flash the sd card again, but I'd like to inderstand the problem and be able to use Boss2 with Volumio since I'm totally amazed by its sound characteristics.

Thank You!

Zsolt

41B0C7A0-85FF-4CAE-AA3D-16190418669B.png

It seems to me that no matter that I power the dac with the Pi jointly or separately, I can make the Boss2 play music in Volumio only for the first time I flash a new Volumio3 onto the microSD card.

When the Pi and the dac are powered separately, the OLED screen remains on when I pull out the power plug from the Pi.

As soon as I pull out the power from the Boss2 and power it back on, I get the error message: "no such device" and cannot make Boss2 play music again only if I flash the microSD again and start a brand new Volumio.

Please let me know if there's a solution to this problem or I have to keep the Pi and the Boss2 on power right from the first time and should never turn them off / or new Volumio flash needed.

Thank you:

Zsolt

image.jpeg

image.png

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...