IGNORED

The developement of Giesemann OCXO Trifecta Clock x 10M Master Clock for Merging NADAC / Meging HAPI MKII

The developement of Giesemann OCXO Trifecta Clock x 10M Master Clock Extreme Edition for Merging NADAC

This version is designed along with customer who is recently purchase the Merging NADAC for his audiopile sysytem. Since NADAC is requires a specific frequency to work for all samplying rate. He contact AfterDark. and see if we have clocking solution which can provide the flexibility on working with different Word Clock Frequency, 10M Master Clock outputs for sync with the Merging NADAC.

We know thare are some customer using Merging system. They are very keen on improving the existing NADAC DAC with Giesemann OCXO Reference 10M Master Clock. In additions with 1 x Word Clock, they request 5 more 10M Master Clock ouputs signals for EthereREGEN switch and other devices which accepting 10M Master Clock. 

Purchase Link

For Merging NADAC, the device are accepting 1 inputs of Word Clock as below:

• 1 x Word Clock Inputs on BNC connectors, accept special Word Clock frequency at 625kHz. The data rate can be the same as the clock rate or an exact multiple of the clock rate.
  • To achieve the best possible clocking frequency, we use the highest grade of from Giesemann OCXO Master Clock to generate the Word Clock at 625kHz. 

For Merging HAPI MKII, the device are accepting 1 inputs of Word Clock (only for DSD):

• 1 x Word Clock Inputs on BNC connectors, accept special Word Clock frequency at 352.8kHz. The data rate can be the same as the clock rate or an exact multiple of the clock rate on DSD singal.
  • To achieve the best possible clocking frequency, we use the highest grade of from Giesemann OCXO Master Clock to generate the Word Clock at 352.8kHz. 
  • We recommended to us HQPlayer to upsamplying all PCM to DSD 64 / 128 /256 for using 352.8kHz frequency to bypass the internal clock for Merging HAPI MKII.

image.thumb.png.5f7e1a901402fbe02f9d3427992dd50e.png

image.thumb.png.ad12fdd28624dddfc134d4078a75e12e.png

thumbnail_image3.thumb.jpg.9aaaba1942852447fc9a6eb9ab7c2d85.jpg.fea69a473a8f744fe3a08850a99293e5.jpg

What is the design concept of Giesemann OCXO Trifecta Extreme Edition?

• The outputs signal will be in Square Wave, 75 Ohms with isolated with 6 outputs BNC Connectors.
  • Each of the outputs can be adjusted to various frequency
  • The chassis is rigid, heavy weighted and fine tuned with Carbon Fiber for EMI protection and ensure highest stability of OCXO inside
  • Custom made LPS (Linear Power Supply) will be build in for demanding applications and optimised for OCXO Master Clock
  • Furutech NCF IEC socket to maxmise electrical contact on power supply
  • The color of chassis can be made to order with choices of Silver and Black Colors
  • Plug and Play compatibilty for dCS customers 

What is the range of Giesemann OCXO grade can be choose?

• All grades of Giesemann OCXO from Prince to Emperor Giesemann EVA can be made to order for customers

What is the specification to determined the Quality of OCXO?

• They can be graded by Phase Noise when compared the measurement result on both 1Hz / 10Hz intervals.
  • Phase noise: -119 to -113 dBc / Hz or lower at 1 Hz offset (Grades) -137 dBc / Hz or lower at 10 Hz offset

GRADE Phase Noise@ 10Hz Phase Noise@ 1Hz
PRINCE -131 -100
QUEEN -132 -103
KING -134 -107
Emperor Signature  -138 -110
Emperor CROWN -140 -113
Emperor DOUBLE CROWN -141 -117
Emperor TRIPLE CROWN -142 -118
Emperor Giesemann -143 -120
Emperor Giesemann EVA -145 -121

Allan variance short-term stability reference value

[Emperor Giesemann EVA]TAU = 1sec 2.50E-13 or less(0.00025ppb / s)

[Emperor Giesemann] TAU = 1sec 2.78E-13 or less(0.00028ppb / s)
[Emperor Triple Crown] TAU = 1sec 3.8E-13 or less(0.00038ppb / s)

What is the summery of adjustable frequencies?

• 100Mhz, 50Mhz, 48Mhz, 25Mhz, 24Mhz, 8Mhz, 4Mhz, 33.8688Mhz,
  • 49.152Mhz, 24.576Mhz, 12.288Mhz, 90.3168Mhz, 45.1584Mhz,
  • DSD: 22.5792Mhz, 11.2896Mhz, 5.6448Mhz
  • Word Clock: 625kHz (NADAC), 192kHz, 176.4kHz, 96kHz, 88.2kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz
  • Reference Clock: 10M Master Clock 

What is the standard frequency setting for Merging NADAC customers?

• Output 1: 625kHz
  • Output 2: 10M Master Clock 
  • Output 3: 10M Master Clock 
  • Output 4-6: 10M Master Clock 

The miniminst design of Giesemann OCXO Trifecta Extreme Edition for NADAC will work plug and play for all Merging DAC

thumbnail_image3.thumb.jpg.626496572df1f12cae279db2861bbb0f.jpg

Giesemann OCXO Features 

The product uses the selected audio grade OCXO, and through long-term calibration to select and install equipment with excellent stability.

• OCXO that employs with qualitative measure equipment.
  • OCXO is enclosed and covered with Dynamat Extreme Corporation (Made in USA) which is used to stabilize and minimize heat separation,  addition EMI material from KEMET EMI Shielding is placed on top of OCXO,  the outer layer is covered with real leather to isolate the heat factors for maximizing OCXO performance . 
  • Alu material + Carbon Fiber material front and backplate, solid anti-vibration. In addition, due to the thickness used, 3mm / 6mm Carbon Fiber material material with plate can provide solid EMI/ magnetic coverage.
  • Advanced instrument Symmetricom 5125A calibrated with plotted characteristics. The phase noise, and Allen Derivation defines different grades of the OCXO. 
  • Audio Note Silver Solder
  • Duelund AC0.4 Silver Premium Audio Cable (Silver in Cotton / Oil impregnated) (Handmade in Denmark)
  • Ultra High Quality Large Factor 5151 SC Cut OCXO, very low phase noise and frequency stability compared to others small size OCXO specification 
  • SC Cut refers to stress compensated (SC) cut crystal resonators, which is more advance on performance of Frequency Vs Temperature changes, longer Crystal Aging. The pro is expensive to made and size is larger then normal OCXO. 
  • Then Large Factor size 5151 is around 5cm x 5cm dimension vs small factor 3cm x 2cm, 2 times bigger with better phase noise performances. 
  • OCXO are available in tailor made on various audio frequencies on special request. 

image4.thumb.jpg.d464cbc6de9d724d114b5b9476228857.jpg

Level selection value
The OCXO installed in the product can calibrate the products used in industrial equipment for a long time, and use equipment with good characteristics. In order to optimally select the audio clock, we comprehensively evaluate with Symmetricom Flagship 5125A to analysis the phase noise characteristics and short-term stability (Allen dispersion) that can be determinate the OCXO grading accordingly.

The OCXO installed in this product uses a stable OCXO unit that has been calibrated for several months. In order to make the best choice of OCXO. We are conducting a comprehensive evaluation of phase noise characteristics and short-term stability (Allen dispersion) during detailed inspection. 

The final product will final measured and fine tuned with Keysight 53220A with reference to Atomic Clock , GPSDO. 

image2.thumb.jpg.64481550c71acf06e4f7d152e5b519d6.jpg

The Trifecta EXTREME edition of Giesemann OCXO Modules is enclosed by Carbon Fiber AudiophileMAT in 3mm

thumbnail_image3.thumb.jpg.9aaaba1942852447fc9a6eb9ab7c2d85.jpg.fea69a473a8f744fe3a08850a99293e5.jpg

image5.thumb.jpg.529a736c706567dc4d47fa9878bb4017.jpg

474510200_AfterDark.LEGOFB.JPG.f2da35086f10343f8d234b30ab3f909d.JPG

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

• 2 months later...

Hi! bodiebill,

Thanks for your questions. 

The NADAC is designed to work with input 625kHz to ensure the music will locked for any sampling rate and this freqency is designed to sync with NADAC to specific music playback frequencies. When 44.1 or 48 word clock, some of the formats of music files may not work. i.e. music will stop when switching frequency to other album and may need users to manual switch back to use internal clock as references. 

We suggested to follow the clock frequency and specifications from Merging Clock + to ensure the best compatibility for NADAC.

The Merging Technologies Horus AD/DA (HAPI MKII) Converter offers sample rates up to 11.2 MHz, or four times the SACD rate. The exteranl reference rate of 625kHz is the unique frequency required for this applicaiton. Most Recording Engineer will adopt this approach to sync all Merging device and Pyramix Studio with Reference Master Clock. 

"The Pyramix Virtual Studio Digital Audio Workstation allows for recording, editing and mastering all DSD formats, being DSD64 (SACD resolution), DSD128 (Double-DSD) and DSD256 (Quad-DSD)."

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

image.png.fd088b79cdaa52322776fd891cb52867.png

image.png.37499489d304a7f288b202f499832aa0.png

image.png.2fbc78a25165d3bf1dad025899c925a7.png

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Hi! bodiebill,

Thanks for your understanding. 

We recommended to use native 625 kHz, to match the specification of Merging Clock. Therefore, there is no need to worry about the sending it one sample rate only. It is because 625kHz is universal for all rates. The manual from Merging is indicated "625 kHz is is the optimal frequency to NADAC to support any sampling rate. " 

image.png.2adbde6547ec7c80fef9d315dc629def.png

image.png.723d0e4b16fdb3138da773b05f26a6cd.png

The rate is fixed at 625kHz from Merging Clock, so only one BNC Clock cable will be requires for any sampling rate. 

For dCS, they are using word clock of 44.1kHz / 48kHz, and requires two BNC Clock cable work normally at the normal operations. When we compared with Merging, the engineer make it more flexible by using one frequency which is universal at 625 kHz. So, user can use only one BNC Clock cable for any sampling rate. As you may know, this frequency is very unique, and choose by their engineer, to work with DSD A/D and D/A conversation at rate up to 11.2Mhz. The Pyramix software may have some features to work with this unique rate for sync at production.   

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, longinc said:

@bodiebillif you are contemplating the Afterdark clock, I can't recommend it highly enough.

I went for the Merging Hapi which has a WCLK input. It receives its clock signal as follows:

Afterdark Trifecta Emperor Double Crown --> 10 MHz --> Audio-gd DI-20HE --> WCLK --> Hapi.

Sounds great.

The Hapi is not straightforward with its (at least for us audiophiles) non-standard connections and configuration options, but with some patience it can deliver, I believe, the same quality as the NADAC at a much lower price point. Best DSD256 I have ever experienced.

audio system

On 9/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, bodiebill said:

I went for the Merging Hapi which has a WCLK input. It receives its clock signal as follows:

Afterdark Trifecta Emperor Double Crown --> 10 MHz --> Audio-gd DI-20HE --> WCLK --> Hapi.

Sounds great.

The Hapi is not straightforward with its (at least for us audiophiles) non-standard connections and configuration options, but with some patience it can deliver, I believe, the same quality as the NADAC at a much lower price point. Best DSD256 I have ever experienced.

Hello,  I too have purchased a Hapi and an Anubis.  I am yet to take delivery of it.  I intend to listen to multichannel DSD 256,  I have a 7.4.2 set up with all the amps etc.  My questions to you are 1. are you listening to multichannel music.  Could not figure it out from your equipment list. 2.  How are you feeding the Hapi - is there an USB to Lan connector that I missed.  3.  I am afraid I am unable to understand the clock connections.  I do not have a clock and am wondering if I should be looking for one a little down the road.  I have an Intona, so a SU2 Singxer with a WC input in lieu of your GD may be an option.  All guidance/advise is welcome.  Thank you.

34 minutes ago, Mantheunknown said:

1. are you listening to multichannel music.  Could not figure it out from your equipment list.

Two channel only. I am using a DB25 to 2x XLR connector for the analogue balanced cable. Only channels 1 and 2 (out of the DB25's 8 channels) are connected.

2.  How are you feeding the Hapi - is there an USB to Lan connector that I missed.

I mostly use Ravenna via the ethernet input. This is Hapi's only input to allow playing DSD256. Sometimes I use the optical input at 48k (Netflix and such) and sometimes AES input using a cable with AES/EBU on one end and digital DB25 on the other (for my SDTRans384 SD transport; no DSD in this case). There is no USB input, alas, which makes sense for studio gear.

3.  I am afraid I am unable to understand the clock connections.  I do not have a clock and am wondering if I should be looking for one a little down the road.  I have an Intona, so a SU2 Singxer with a WC input in lieu of your GD may be an option.  All guidance/advise is welcome.  Thank you.

The Hapi does not take 10MHz clock input, only word clock (WCLK) input with 75 Ohm impedance. 50 Ohm will also work but is not optimal. My Audio-gd DI-20HE happens to have a WCLK output and even though this was 50 Ohm the setup described above did give an improvement over Hapi's internal WCLK. As I write this, the DI-20HE's WCLK is converted to 75 Ohm by Magna Hifi. (Its 10 MHz input was already 75 Ohm.)

An alternative could be using a Gustard C2 clock cable which is said to be insensitive to impedance mismatches. Not sure how that works though.

It looks like the Singxer SU2 could be used in a similar way, either using its own internal clock, or an external 10 MHz reference clock -- although I did not peruse its manual. 

audio system

10 minutes ago, Mantheunknown said:

Have you tried the HP output socket in the Hapi.  I believe it outputs DSD256 also.  Cheers

I have the Hapi Mk1 and its HP output goes to max DSD128 I believe. I do not use it as I do not like the sound from that. Hapi Mk2 HP output goes to DSD256 and is supposed to better quality. However I do not expect it to beat the SQ with my greedy headphones hooked up to the terminal outputs of my power amp. None of the HP amps I tried so far (including Phonitor) could even approach that.

But I do find the Hapi preamp very good for a DSP volume control.

audio system

Hi @bodiebill

Did you investigate feeding 625Khz to Hapi.  I found the following

Can the MERGING+CLOCK be used with Horus or Hapi?

Yes, you can use the NADAC CLOCK output along Horus and Hapi as of Firmware 3.9.3b38957 and above.For Horus and Hapi running previous firmware versions, you can use any of the standard WC output.

It is ambiguous in that I have to assume that the NADAC clock output refers to 625.  It seems so from the layout posted earlier by @AfterDark.I am wondering if it is better to feed the Hapi 625Khz.  Otherwise I will just stay with the normal frequencies/std. output.  Cheers

On 9/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, bodiebill said:

Sounds great.

Hi @bodiebill, please see the above post also.  Afterdark has a NADAC unit that has both 625KHz output, 10 Mhz clock and various wordclock frequencies.  If I go with that unit I can avoid using the SU2.  I do not have the SU2.  I have to purchase it.  I was considering it in lieu of the INTONA to clean up the usb stream from my computer.  Your advice?  Thanks.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Mantheunknown said:

Hi @bodiebill, please see the above post also.  Afterdark has a NADAC unit that has both 625KHz output, 10 Mhz clock and various wordclock frequencies.  If I go with that unit I can avoid using the SU2.  I do not have the SU2.  I have to purchase it.  I was considering it in lieu of the INTONA to clean up the usb stream from my computer.  Your advice?  Thanks.

Cheers

I must admit that I am not an expert in this field. I only know that I have great results now, playing DSD256 into the Hapi using the above chain, where the DI-20HE provides the Hapi with a 75 Ohm WCLK signal. I find no need to look further or pay more. The additional Merging gear (clocks, PS etc.) is above my pay grade.

Another example is the linear power supply: after a minor tweak the Hapi can be powered with 12V internally and I have a cable for that. However I prefer to use its (optional) exotic Japanese power socket (I forgot the name) for 10-14 VDC which I power with a Paul Hynes SR4T 12V 2.5A with great results. This really makes a difference. The latter has the advantage that I can easily switch (even without restart) to the AC power when I watch a movie.

audio system

6 hours ago, Mantheunknown said:

Thank you for your guidance.  Ghentaudio sells Hirose connectors for the LPS.  I was going to use POE (if feasible) for that portion of the chain.  Appreciate your taking the time to respond. Cheers

Would PoE be able to provide sufficient juice? I would not go below 2.5A, which is already well below the Hapi specs but sufficient in practice as it appears.

audio system

Hi! 

The DDC from DI-20HE is very similiar functions with Gustard U18 and Mutec MC3+USB. The devices can accept 10M Master Clock in to utilise the reclock function on digital interface such as USB for Gustard U18 and DI-20HE, for Mutec MC3+USB, the device can re-clock all digial signals including AES, Optical, USB, Coaxial as digital re-clocker. 

The Word clock generator at DI- 20HE, Gustard U18 and Mutec MC3+USB is automatic generate at specific frequency or multiple of that frequency internally, matching with the input frequency at USB audio signals. This DDC will genrate the correct frequency to the DAC with WC Input Connections. For example, USB input signal with 24/96khz will generate then WCLK frequency at 96kHz output and word clock signal will be transfer via 75ohms BNC cable from the DDC to the WC BNC port of DAC accepting WC signals.

By using external Master Clock with the DDC and DAC, this will bring huge improvements on digital signal by smoothing out the digitial signal with more precision clocking on both DDC and DAC. By sync the digital with same Master Clock, it would unlock most of the potential inside the DAC and can improve sounding to other levels.

However, there is technicial limits of some DDC to generate WCLK at higher frequency or special frequency at 625kHz for NADAC DAC. For example, Mutec MC3+USB is limited to generate the frequency as below. 

image.png.f4fc0b3142e5867dccd6158234809bf0.png

The Word Clock out frequency is indicated at the middle column 

image.thumb.png.3a6ee4165abd099625d0b44ba989b98f.png 

Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Adrian

AfterDark.

image.thumb.jpeg.33471992ae52e832210cf9cde19741f7.jpeg

Audio-gd DI- 20HE DDC

image.jpeg.0b538132e4b2b4e74406b43f21209fe9.jpeg

Gustard U18 DDC

Thanks Adrian for the explanation.

It makes me wonder about my setup:

When I play with my Merging Hapi DAC, I attach the clock cable between the DI-20HE WCLK output and the Hapi's WCLK input. However, in that case the DI-20HE does not receive any musical input, just the 10MHz external clock input from an Afterdark Trifecta. Only the Hapi receives musical input, namely via Ravenna, and in my case this is DSD256.

Does such at WCLK connection make any sense?

Or maybe I should first play DSD through the DI-20HE, so that it sets the proper WCKL output for the Hapi? And then start playing music via the Hapi?

And what is the proper WCLK frequency for DSD? This is not shown in the Mutec table as the Mutec converts DSD to PCM.

audio system

I had the same observation.  The AudioGD unit / Su2 (in my case) just provides a frequency signal in isolation.  The Hapi works on that basis.  I have asked the ideal frequency for Hapi to perform at its best.  Will let you know when I hear. The Ravenna network has an inherent wclk stream I believe.  Optimizing it all would be ideal in my opinion.  Cheers

9 minutes ago, Mantheunknown said:

I had the same observation.  The AudioGD unit / Su2 (in my case) just provides a frequency signal in isolation.  The Hapi works on that basis.  I have asked the ideal frequency for Hapi to perform at its best.  Will let you know when I hear. The Ravenna network has an inherent wclk stream I believe.  Optimizing it all would be ideal in my opinion.  Cheers

Thanks. My Hapi can lock to its internal clock or to the WCLK input (user selectacble). However it has never detected the Ravenna network clock, so I cannot use that. Not sure why.

audio system

Well, some reviews of the Gustard R-26 with and w/o this clock showed no difference. I guess if the internal is good enough it doesn't matter.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects