IGNORED

Melco N50?

My current system is no longer working. I was using the Alix setup introduced here by NYparamedic some years ago.  I do not wish to stream, only to play my already ripped music. I have taken a shine to the Melco N50, but it is $5000. Any thoughts?

1.7mm-thick full-width chassis, an IEC power inlet with noise filtering,...enhanced mainboard with a specially selected 3.84 TB SSD drive coupled to a new SSD cradle, plus a new dynamic PSU that promises 25 per cent more output. The rear panel includes four specific USB ports: USB 3.0; Expansion and Backup, plus a dedicated USB DAC output. (Ihave a USB Dac)

review https://www.stereonet.com/reviews/melco-n50-s38-music-library-review

2 hours ago, maltby said:

My current system is no longer working. I was using the Alix setup introduced here by NYparamedic some years ago.  I do not wish to stream, only to play my already ripped music. I have taken a shine to the Melco N50, but it is $5000. Any thoughts?

1.7mm-thick full-width chassis, an IEC power inlet with noise filtering,...enhanced mainboard with a specially selected 3.84 TB SSD drive coupled to a new SSD cradle, plus a new dynamic PSU that promises 25 per cent more output. The rear panel includes four specific USB ports: USB 3.0; Expansion and Backup, plus a dedicated USB DAC output. (Ihave a USB Dac)

review https://www.stereonet.com/reviews/melco-n50-s38-music-library-review

See also latest Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 5/12/2022 at 3:29 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

See also latest Stereophile.

Funny! First time encountering UAC 2 compliance. I have an older USB dac (Ultra Fi) makes me wonder if it will work. So sound quality is excellent, not as straight forward to set up and use as it could be and there are some connectivity quirks?

1 hour ago, maltby said:

Funny! First time encountering UAC 2 compliance. I have an older USB dac (Ultra Fi) makes me wonder if it will work. So sound quality is excellent, not as straight forward to set up and use as it could be and there are some connectivity quirks?

That's how I found it but it may be because it didn't "fit" my system as well as it might others.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile