IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC

Wyred 4 Sound 10th Anniversary Limited Edition DAC

I am cleaning out some stuff from the storage cabinet because I can use the cash for a new amp.

This is an absolutely exceptional DAC, especially if you actually listen to your equipment rather than just rely on ASR measurements as the basis of your assessment.

Per W4S' website:

"DAC-2v2SE 10th Anniversary Limited Edition Features

"This special commemorative DAC comes exclusively with distinctions (see below) that make it a world-class performer and prized collectible.
  • ESS Sabre 9038PRO DAC chip
  • Redesigned 10th Anniversary digital board
  • 10th Anniversary "champagne silver" or "midnight sparkle" colored chassis with commemorative silkscreened graphics
  • Custom 10th Anniversary red LED display
  • Custom 10th Anniversary lathed aluminum footers
  • Hand-matched custom Vishay Z-Foil resistors (0.1% tolerance and a +/-0.5ppm/°C)
  • Femto Grade Clock (82 fSec phase jitter)
  • Ultra-low noise discrete regulators
  • Ultra-fast recovery Schottkey diodes
  • Premium-grade inductors
  • Oversized toroidal transformer for solid and noise-free power
  • 88,000uF of filtering with W4S low ESR "super-cap" (same as used in the STP-SE)
  • Upgraded fuse
  • Fully balanced design with balanced and unbalanced outputs
  • Coaxial, Toslink, AES/EBU and I²S inputs
  • Galvanically isolated, asynchronous USB input
  • Up to 384kHz PCM and DSD 256 file support via USB or I²S
  • Automatic oversampling for precise output filtering
  • Remote control
  • Defeatable 32-bit volume control
  • HT Bypass inputs
  • Limited production run
  • 5 year limited transferrable warranty"

MSRP is $4499.

Drivers and manual are located here, although I will send the printed manual and driver disc with the DAC:  https://wyred4sound.com/support/downloads

This sounded absolutely wonderful in my main system from the time that I bought it in December 2018 until I bought an Okto with internal Pi4 streamer a couple of months ago.  I am the original owner.

The ONLY reason I am moving on from it is that I needed a reliable backup setup for when my Sonore Signature Rendu SE or my network got skittish.  With the Pi built into the Okto, I almost always have a readily available Plan B when I would rather listen to music than do signal path or network troubleshooting.  That said, the Okto, to my ears, does NOT sound better than this organic-and relaxed-sounding DAC, to which I could listen for hours without fatigue. 

The unit is in near mint shape. I will give it an 8/10 rating because the bottom has a scar where an isoacoustics puck stuck to it and there is a small, extremely hard to see blemish on one side where, I believe, the paint has some orange peel or similar unevenness.

Since acquiring the Okto, this unit has been in my desktop system, where it sounds wonderful. However, it is ridiculous overkill to tie up a $4500 MSRP DAC in a desktop system with Audioengine 2 speakers.  If I sell this, I will replace it with something more suitable to task.

I have the original packaging and will enclose the original remote when I ship.  I almost never used the remote, but, like every other W4S remote I ever have owned, its surface has gotten "sticky" from the plastic exterior crazing.  Because it became pretty disgusting to touch pretty quickly, I used a Harmony remote instead.  I no longer have the included USB cable or power cable. I can include generics if you need them, but I used upgraded ones and you will want to, as well.

Prefer to sell in lower 48 USA, but will ship overseas.  At my listed price, I will pay US postage.  Add 3% for PayPal unless you use Friends and Family. 

This, with two of my other DACs, is my first listing here, but I have sold some things at Audiogon under the username MikeRubin.  Check feedback there.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, raoul1958 said:

Hello, I would like to purchase your W4S DAC. Please advise on to proceed.

Thanks,

Paul

I replied to your other message. The site gave me no notice that you you had replied here. 

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my reply, I sold this unit a few months ago. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Ken. I did sell it.  Thanks for the inquiry.