IGNORED

[SOLD] 1976 Rogers LS3/5a monitors from original owner

[SOLD] 1976 Rogers LS3/5a monitors from original owner

These are the original and legendary 15 Ohm Rogers LS3/5a BBC monitors.  I bought this matched pair (same serial numbers + A and B) new in 1976 and have kept them like my children for 46 years. We recently retired, sold the house, and downsized to an apartment in which I only have room for one serious system. These are in excellent condition with only a few tiny surface scuffs and no gouges or other wood damage. Grilles are excellent+. And they sound great.

There was no such thing as "audiophile banana plugs" in those days and the 10 gauge speaker wire I used wouldn't fit into what was available to me. So I removed the banana jacks and substituted the bolts and wing nuts you can see in the picture of the backs. I did not modifty the holes at all and just sealed them around the bolts with RTV. I bought new jacks from Rogers in case I ever wanted to reinstall them, so these come with two sets of NOS banana jacks in original boxes (2 sets because I thought each set was 1 pair, but it turned out to be two pairs in a box).  These are completely stock with the original components and drivers.  The baffles were resealed once about 20 years ago (with Plasticine as recommended by BBC engineers - reference article HERE) because one failed the "box test" described in the linked article.

My shop was in the house we sold, so I have no place to properly work on these and am selling them with the threaded posts in place because removing the baffles will require skill, patience, and a safer more stable setting than our kitchen table and simple hand tools can provide me.   The orignal box was severely damaged by a hot water heater leak in our basement 35+ years ago, and I foolishly threw it out when we moved after keeping it in our storage room for decades. I have high res pics of every surface for those who are seriously interested.

$3000 for the pair plus shipping (US only).

• Seller
    bluesman
  • Date
    05/03/22
  • Price
    3,000.00 USD
  • Category